Hello, I'm attending school for video game development, and I need your help!

• First off, I wanted to start by saying hello, my name is Sinjin. I'm new to the forums but not to easy allies. I've been a long time fan dating back to GT, and i love what the guys are doing now and i will continue to watch and support them til the day i die.

Like the title says, I'm a student attending a digital arts college for video game design. over the past two months I have been working on a a very small, very short 2-5 minute game/demo. Me and my fellow classmates uploaded our short games to a few websites, and i was hoping it would be cool if i posted the links to my game here for anyone to check out.

The views and game plays totals go towards my marketing portion of my grade. How well I market our game directly affects the amount of views and plays it gets on these sites. how I respond to criticisms and feedback goes towards my professionalism grade.

The game takes two minutes to play through, and it would mean so much to me to receive any and all feedback to help better shape my abilities and strengthen my skills as i continue to learn game development.

Don't be afraid to be brutally honest too guys. If you think the game sucks, let me know! I just ask you tell me WHY it sucks so it's something I can improve upon for next time

you can play my game at the following links :

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Sinjin152/king-of-the-mountain

http://gamejolt.com/games/king-of-the-mountain/216202

https://sinjin.itch.io/king-of-the-mountain

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/685520?updated=1481299232

Thanks to anyone who is willing to give it a shot.

Love and Respect

-Sinjin

• Gave it a try, died on the second troll when trying to jump from the rock. It wasn't that hard, I just rarely play with WASD and on computer in general. Music was ok, the sound the rock made when pushing it pretty awful. The crystal looked interesting.

• ya it was tough finding a sound for pushing the rock. only having access to free sounds from open game art and other free sources i was very limited in what i could use.

Thank you for giving the game a try though, i really appreciate it!

• @Sinjin said in Hello, I'm attending school for video game development, and I need your help!:

my mark is based off of how many views and plays my game gets.

No offense but that's honestly pretty dumb. You should talk to your school about this so that they might re-evaluate this method for future classes.

• @suplextrain 90-95% of our mark comes from the work we do and put into the coding and designing. the views and gameplays are more of a "marketing" thing. I guess I should have worded it better. How well we market our game directly affects the amount of views and plays it gets on these sites. so having people view it and play it helps towards my marketing portion. how i respond to criticisms and feedback goes towards my professionalism mark. my bad for not better explaining this

• Tried it again, made it to the second screen this time. The fourth troll killed me, I blame partly my browser, there was some buckling. I saw that there would have been a crossbow and how it would have been used. I don't really know what to comment here. The game was after all pretty basic. I liked how the trolls had some small sound and visual effect when you defeated them. And the jump after horizontal movement (running) felt pretty ok, there was enough distance / air time in it.

• @Sentinel-Beach Awesome, thank you. I'm not an artist when it comes down to it, so i'm more looking for how the game felt when played which feedbacks to my coding abilities. so this is awesome what you just told me hahaha. if you get the chance is there anything you felt that was off? that could be added? removed? smoothed out?

thanks again for giving it a shot.

• @Sinjin The movement (animation) could of course be smoothed out, but it was enough for this kind of game. It was interesting to notice that the trolls didn't return to their original route/place once you hit them, but they moved from the impact and then resumed to their form in a slightly new place.

• Keep it coming! And don't be afraid to be brutally honest too guys. If you think the game sucks, let me know! I just ask you tell me WHY it sucks so it's something I can improve upon for next time

• Loved the sounds. The beat is really catchy and the "plop" sound when you jump made me smile. The sound of the explosion when the enemies die is a bit disturbing and is my only negative about the game. The artstyle is also very jolly. I overall enjoyed it. Great job. I'm interested in what happens next. Hope you'll let us know when you update it.

• @Nillend thanks for feedback! The popping sound that happens when the trolls die is an unfortunate glitch caused during sometime between building the game from unity, and uploading it to a browser based site :/. It pops ONCE and sounds perfect in unity, but destroys eardrums online for some unknown reason. I am looking into though! I'll definitely post when i update it

• @Sinjin You live in this frozen wasteland too!? I started doing Game Design at NAIT but now doing other things. How is your school?

Warning: I am not a fan of 2d side scrollers, so i can only say so much. However, based on what you have, the music seemed fine, the sfx for moving the rock and killing the AI is horrible. I found it really easy to kill the AI as well. The rope falling when you try to climb leaving you to go the other way was good. Movement might need to be smoothed out a bit.

• @Sinjin said in Hello, I'm attending school for video game development, and I need your help!:

how I respond to criticisms and feedback goes towards my professionalism grade.

I guess David Jaffe got an F for that!

I can't play the game right now but I'll give it a shot!

• @CGamor7 I'm at Edmonton Digital Arts college and I love it. how long ago did you got o NAIT and what are you doing now?

• @Sinjin Im still at NAIT finishing up Business Analysis in the Digital Media & IT program. I started in Game Design and learned the fundamentals and then transferred into another stream within the same program. In my opinion ( and many others i go to school with) , NAIT really needs to invest more in it if they actually want it to be a good and viable program. I continue to learn a lot on my own and work with other people. I really enjoy designing things, I wanted to check out the game jam you guys had at your school a few weeks ago, but i didn't end up having the time to go.

• @CGamor7 you should have! My team won that :D!

• I'm also on my game design class right now and If I could leverage a few things from what ive played up to the second map, I think it's the controls, I think you're better off giving him a slow start then a running animation after a few seconds due to how frustrating it was on the first level to stop exactly at the rope. since I just kept falling down at that point, you could also probably work on how he stops since he doesn't exactly stop where I need him to.

About the gameplay itself, you might want to add a jump attack, and refine how he stops and attacks to make it seamless. it's really just the movement that's a major sticking point for me.

• Here are my thoughts.
    Great:

• Bow & arrow, some physics applied, bounces of ceiling?
    • Shooting down bridge feels kind of cool

Middle:

• climbing up rope sometimes doesn’t trigger, since W and S isn’t used for anything, when you have e.g. W pressed, climbing should trigger while nearing rope
    • Attack while jumping makes you stop mid-air for a short time
    • Not sure if I saw it right but Map transition, to area with chest seems to stutter when entering for the first time. I know transition is instant but kind of had the impression.

Bad:

• palpably one of the favourite words of M.P. Huber: “Copy-Right-Infringement”, Means dragon head at the start look a little too much like Shenlong.

Things I like to see:

• Some enemies should follow you when you are near them.
    • More Bow action, maybe aiming the bow?
    • More lore, and context. (make it as stupid as possible? ^^)
    • Fast mode, PC moves a little slow. I want action!

But for a first demo not bad.

• @Axel thanks i appreciate it

• @DreyG0 thanks for the feedback. i'll write all these down