Dragon Quest XI (PS4/PC)

• It seems this thread should be revitalized, as there's less than three weeks left to the game's (western) release. The title could be cut a bit, too.

• I've seen more gameplay and vids of this game and I'm finding it really hard to find a reason to care for it other than it is just DQ and it is a legendary series. I know the game will likely be solid and enjoyable but I also can't help but think it won't offer anything to me.

• I've been playing DQ4 as my "study" game, and all the sudden I'm getting hyped for this game. Really wish 3DS were region free so I could import, but oh well.

• Already beat this in Japanese months ago, prepare for a treat guys, i actually prefer it to VIII.

My top 5 DQ as of now are these (not played 7 yet):

1. DQV
      2.DQXI
      3.DQVIII
      4.DQIII
      5.DQIV

• @bam541
    said so after playing the Japanese version for a few weeks, this is gonna be one to remember

• Whoa, the things people are saying... going to be a good holiday game.

• This question has probably been asked a 1,000 times. Can I jump into this game without playing the prior games? I keep seeing gameplay that looks great and the reviews are coming in with higher than average scores.

• @cptcobblepot Yep, you're good to go even if you have no prior experience with the series.

• I finished the Switch version just before the new year, and I have very mixed feelings about it.

My only exposure to Dragon Quest before that was through the manga The Adventure of Dai which I love to death, so learning that a new anime adaptation and a GAME are in development was unbelievable news!

But back to DQ XI. On one hand, there's so much to love:

• Gorgeous art style, and a flawless Switch port. Enemy design in particular is a delight, most of which I recognize from the manga, which makes me think every DQ game has the same enemies?
    • Overall an extremely polished game, very clean UI, quality-of-life features.
    • A very generous wealth of content, particularly the Switch version with the 2D mode and extra scenarios.
    • The Fun-Size Forge is the one original feature in the game and it was entertaining from beginning to end.
    • A cool cast, the party members are all useful in their own way, have fun personalities and solid voice acting.

But, there's also so much that made the experience bland for me:

• Most generic combat system ever. Nothing fundamentally wrong with it, but I didn't have a single exciting fight in 60 hours. I'm not asking for Xenoblade but at least try to put a twist, any twist, on the formula. Octopath Traveler or Bravely Default are perfect examples of how to take a classic turn-based system and give it a lot more depth with just one or two fresh mechanics.
    • The story is also very generic, and has very few memorable moments. There's no edge, there's no dread, there's no depth. Even when supposedly tragic events happen, you don't feel the gut punch, either because they're invalidated down the line or the characters don't react realistically enough. Again, nothing wrong with a lighthearted story, but there's no way this game leaves me with any everlasting memory.
    • Awkward dialog and cutscene pacing. The delivery of almost every line is so slow, and the subtitles display so much at once, that I always ended up reading the entire thing and then having to wait 5 to 10 seconds for the voiceover to be done. Which means I ended up skipping audio more and more as I progressed through the game.
    • Worse, when characters are interrupted mid-sentence by someone else talking or an event happening, the editing is so clunky that they'll stop talking, have 2-3 seconds of silence, and then be actually interrupted by whatever comes next. It sounds like a minor gripe but it made pretty much every funny or dramatic moment fall flat.

Overall, it's a charming, perfectly executed game, but also absolutely forgettable. I could only recommend it as either someone's very first JRPG, or a hardcore fan who has to play them all. If I had to rank it in my own pantheon of favorite JRPGs, I doubt it would crack the top 20.

• @axel said:

Most generic combat system ever. Nothing fundamentally wrong with it, but I didn't have a single exciting fight in 60 hours.

Play Draconic Quest. Every fight becomes a threat. If you want to get really random, turn Shypox on too.