How do you guys cope with buying so many games and DLC coming out but you are broke?

• I hope I haven't phrased the question incorrectly but I am on the verge of being completely broke. I've got all the major releases up to now and some multiplats which I like for my PS4 pro however I feel like 2017 looks like it will put me on the street or working overtime in my job which i don't intend to doing. There is just so many great ps4 games and season passes such as the recent final fantasy xv. I am unable to decide how to go about spending my money. All I know for sure is I want all those games but paying full price for everything is just waste of money.

How do you guys deal with such a scenario or have dealt with in the past.

• Pro tip: You don't need every video game.

• Hey, this is a great question. I struggle with the same thing. My limited budget doesn't allow me to drop $60 plus every single time and new Triple-A game comes out. For a while I would buy small bundles for Steam of lesser-known games and play them for a few hours apiece. But I quickly realized that my library was filling up with games I did not want to play. So since I wanted to save money for some gaming hardware anyway I decided to buy no new games for myself in 2016. This was a really hard year for me to do that. But I made some rules for myself. If I played all my games through or until I was tired of them at least once, and played my favorites through again, then I could buy new games. I haven't reached that point yet. Now I've been given a few games, and I've gotten some free ones, but I honestly haven't bought any new games for myself this year. I've missed out on the Day One hype for sure, but honestly, Deus Ex will be cheaper on Jan 1 2017 than on release day. And the quality of the game will not be diminished by my waiting. If anything, history seems to say that waiting is better cause then you get the patched game that really actually works. And even though I've been missing out on the likes of The Witness, I've still been having lots of fun!

So I guess what I'm saying is, try being content for a bit. Take 2-4 months and don't buy anything. Then buy one game you really really want and enjoy it fully, several times through. I think in this case, less can really be more!

Best wishes on your job. Hope you can keep it and keep gaming too!

• @TheHashtag0nist What this guy said, but with a lot more words. That's pretty much my post.

• ^ The only counter point is that those day one edition also come with steelbook edition in my country and if I wait out on that they become extremely expensive to purchase but otherwise I heard what you said. Whats your view on season passes?

• I'm self employed so I have to budget how much goes straight to bills every month, then I try to work a little harder to earn my "Spending" budget which is food/entertainment.

Since my bills are usually the same amount it makes it easy to track how much I need to earn for spending, but it's probably not the same for everyone.

But yeah, as said above, pick and choose your games carefully. Look up information, watch streams, etc and make more informed purchases.

What I generally do is major AAA games that I know won't suddenly disappear from store shelves like FFXV, I can wait for, or get used. Whereas rarer lesser produced titles like RPG from Atlus are day one buys.

Occasionally I'll make the argument that I can't really wait for a multiplayer game since often times the best time to play them is within the first few weeks/month the game comes out before the population either drops and gets boring or explodes and causes problems for the game in other ways.

And of course make use of store trade in deals if you actually visit retail shops for your games (I don't, cause amazon prime is a flat 20% off on new titles which is better than my old work discount at gamestop).

Also on season passes, if games have one...I don't buy them. Because I know once all that content is released they'll released another physical edition with all the DLC on it, very few games don't do this, or in the case of shooters I'm generally bored with the game long before the pass content is released so I'm not losing anything by getting the game ahead of time because I'll probably sell it in a month or two.

Not sure if any of that helps, that's just how I go through things lol.

• A lot of fried cabbage on rice.

• What I do, is just not buy new games. There's so much out there to play. You'll get around to it eventually, what's the point in doing it so soon when everything is so expensive?

I've waited years for The Last Guardian. The other two Team ICO games are some of my favorite games ever made, but I didn't buy The Last Guardian and I don't know if I will. I don't even know when I'll play it, but the thing is; my dog will die and my parents will die, but it's almost certain The Last Guardian will still exist. Where's the rush?

I'd like to play it before I die, but if I don't, how could I even care? I'm dead.

• I just try to think of it as having to be extremely selective about games. I take pride in the fact that I like every single game that I own.

• Pretty much what all these lovely folks said - you just have to get into the mindset of not buying games as soon as they come out. That can be varying degrees of difficult depending on your situation though. For instance, my household is nothing but gamers so if I would have skipped on Final Fantasy XV/Pokemon this year, not only would I have missed out on conversations and discoveries that come along with experiencing a game for the first time, but I also would have had the games spoiled in some way.

My goal for next year is to find alternative ways to lower my budget while earning more income. I'm moving into a cheaper house at the beginning of the year that is also closer to work, so less gas will be spent. I cut out subscription services that I don't get enjoyment out of (Hulu, LootCrate) as well. For earning more money, aside from wanting to pursue some sort of freelance writing gig on the side, I'm probably going to start donating/selling plasma while watching the Allies play some vidja games. Granted, I'm not making all of these budget changes just for gaming alone but... I should be able to pick up a few more games in the year if I feel inclined.

I won't claim to know your situation but I know it's rough to have such an expensive hobby when there's so many of us living paycheck to paycheck. Hang in there!

• buy games new that are more niche and hard to find wait on AAA games that will always be available unless its from a series thats close to ur heart like souls and final fantasy for me

• I can't add much to what others have already said. But you can still play a lot of games by waiting for sales, or buying used. If you don't have a lot of extra money on hand maybe think of some older games that you never checked out and go for those instead. If you have PS Plus or Xbox Gold they often provide enough free stuff to keep you busy in between.

I personally almost never buy DLC so I don't worry about that one as much

• For me personally, I put all the major releases I'm looking forward to into the calendar on my phone/computer a few months ahead so I know what's coming out when and how much money I'll need in certain months of the year so I know what I can and can't afford.

I'll pre-purchase some games on PC months in advance due to the greater savings there, (bought RE7 for £29 and Mass Effect Andromeda for £32 a few weeks ago)

With physical console games 9 times out of 10 I'll sell the game after I'm finished with it and recoup about 2/3rds of the price usually (buy for £40, get £30-£32 back) which will then almost pay for another new game coming out and this repeats throughout the year.

So for example, I've got FF XV, The Last Guardian and Pokemon Moon coming for Christmas this year, once I've finished each one they'll be sold off to pay for Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0 and Nioh in late January/early February next year.

If you don't have one already I'd recommend opening up an online savings account with your bank, definitely helps be budget better and keep a constantly refreshed gaming fund available when I need it.

• To start, you need to learn how to let go of the hype; and be able to wait. I wasn't always able to do that either. But now, while I want Uncharted 4. And I had opportunities to purchase it. I still don't own a copy, and I'm ok with that.

So my story is, I stop paying full price for games years ago. Most I paid for a video game in the past 4 years is $40 dollars. Which was for a new Day One edition copy of MGSV. I also stopped jumping on every sale out there, after I saw how much my backlog was growing. Especially my Steam one. Meaning many of my purchases, have gone unplayed to this day. Not worth buying games you won't play, no matter how cheap they are. It quickly adds up to a lot of money wasted. Like when I brought Dragon Age Origins and the Awakening expansion. Only to not play it, and see a far cheaper bundle with all the DLC come out later. Which really burned me.

So I created a system in my mind. That I only buy a game if I can play and beat it immediately. Or that I know I'll play it no more than 2 months from purchase date. And I almost never spend more than $30 dollars on a game. Which in itself is rare for me to do. As I typically pay $20 or less for my games. Those of which, are generally purchased 1, to just under 2 years after release. Gamefly is also a great option to clear a backlog of games you'll only play through one. Or if your unsure you'll like, but you want to try it out. Also consider sites like eBay, to purchase cheaper but quality copies of used games.

• Easy,i don't buy season passes and i wait for deals and price drops on games. I only bought Fallout 4 when it dropped to 20$ for exemple.

If i buy my games for 20$ instead of 80$ (full price in Canada) that is a collection of 100 games instead of 25 games for the same amount of money.

• My backlog is huge and seemingly endless. Last gen games are dirt cheap already and if I see a sale I usually pick up a bunch of them. I have no shortage of things to play. I only buy new mostly to support the game and devs at the time that matters most.

I guess I never really cared for day one editions or steel books. I actually prefer not to support that kind of practice. Exploiting your fan base by nickel and diming them as much as possible for exclusive content is not cool with me.

• @MSBi Here's my take on the bigger question I think you're asking;

1. Find something bigger than yourself to invest in.... I find this helps me gain perspective and put into practice a lot of the advice others have given above about self control etc.

2. Treat the things you enjoy as true rewards.... don't just buy games because you can, set a task for yourself that you must complete before you "earn" a reward. You get to decide what these are. Again helps keep things in perspective and keep hobbies where they belong which is as decorations on your personality but not the core (I don't intend this to be an inflammatory remark but could see how some might interpret it that way, to those people I apologize in advance)

3. Stay true to who you want to be.... this requires thought, reflection and meditation to determine who you are. Once you figure that out, break things down into their individual components and decide which actions make the statements that hold true to the "you" you want to be. If buying all the games feels like a "waste of money" as you described this is probably because on some level this goes against a part of who you are or who you want to be. Identify that first and then you'll have an easier time deciding on your actions.

Interesting post, I enjoyed thinking about it. Cheers dude

• Be sad and accept your fate.

Which is what I do, really.

• People have already said it better than I can, but I think simply waiting can be pretty tough so put this spin on it. Pick like three or four games for the whole year ahead of time. These are the most important/hype games to you personally. Buy those Day 1, full price, and support the devs! Enjoy being part of the zeitgeist for these select games. Everything else you want to play, wait a year or two or until it's hugely on sale before picking it up. Even better if the couple games you pick are ones that can obviously last you a long time like The Witcher 3. Any of these big four games you get, go nuts grabbing the DLC for, but everything else DLC rules apply same as the base game rules of waiting for a significant sale or Game of the Year Edition that includes it before purchasing. If you start to crack during the year, grab an already cheap at full price Indie game that looks fun to you to mix it up with.

Lastly, never buy Collector's Editions and such. It's just overpriced junk that's going to take up room, and even if there's an artbook, someone will scan that thing guaranteed. Never preordering is another good tip to dodge disasters, but with this system you'll only be investing in the games you're most sure about anyways, so you shouldn't get burned too bad with anything. Still, the difference between being able to bail on a game after you hear bad reviews a week early and being locked is makes never preordering a smart decision even if you plan to get it Day 1.

• @Mango

Thanks for taking the time out and reply. I have read through everything you said and it has opened my eyes up a bit however i have already devised a plan of what i want to achieve for 'ME' and buying video games is only a hassle when so many of them come out at once. I was fine in 2016 where there was substantial gap between each one.

I guess i just wanted headup before buying stuff that i really want at full price and by stuff that i want i mean i am definately interested and gonna play it no matter what. Like for example the FF XV season pass.

Apart of Resident Evil VII which im not too keen on. I guess ill just watch a playthrough of my brother, i feel febuary, march and april are ridiculous for the quality of games coming out.