Last movie you watched

• Lu Over the Wall
    Premise: a depressed middle schooler's life changes when he meets a mermaid that helps him reconnect with the world through their shared love of music. While the plot is simple and suffers from some scattershot storytelling, there's a surprising amount of thematic depth that, paired with Yuasa's signature animation style, makes this absolutely worth the watch. This movie would actually make a great double-feature with Yuasa's version of Devilman Crybaby. Lots of similar themes, especially in regards to how quickly humanity gives in to judgment and prejudice, but whereas Devilman is nihilistic and bleak, Lu focuses instead on the beauty in tearing down those walls, and the joy that comes with it. I'm always hesitant when movies/shows harp on the "Power of Music" because I rarely think that the music is of high enough quality to warrant such a message (highly subjective, of course, but I think shows like Carole and Tuesday fall hard into this trap). That said, this movie sidesteps that issue by focusing not on the importance of "One Song to Save the World," but rather the basic humanity and emotion that comes with the art form. Does it teeter into the realm of sentimentality? Absolutely, but it works because the emotion behind it is pure and beautiful. Either that or I'm just a sucker. B+

• Today I watched Chunking Express, and damn I liked it a lot. I had previously seen In the Mood for Love, which is also by Wong Kar-wai, and while I liked it quite a bit I didn't connect with it like most people had. This one though, I think I'm gonna be returning to this one on rainy days because of how meaningful it is to me. It is gorgeously shot and surprisingly optimistic, and Tony Leung is without a doubt one of the best actors of his generation.
    5 Stars.

P.S. follow me on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/aidanvilchis/

• @capnbobamous It really is such a beautiful movie. :)

• The classic Quentin Tarantino Presents intro and outro to Chungking Express
    Youtube Video

• @tokyoslim Whoa thanks for pointing this out to me. I knew Tarantino was the reason it got such an audience in America, but it's cool seeing him so passionate about it.

• @capnbobamous Yeah, we talked about how many films QT/Rolling Thunder released in the US during the Reaction Shots a few months ago and Ian reminded me about these intros.

I think that it's hilarious that Tarantino's camera is slowly rotating back and forth between these extreme Dutch Angles. What a nerd. lol

• @tokyoslim I also found it very funny that he decided to wear a jacket after the intro when presumably they filmed both parts at the same time.

• @capnbobamous I will tell you right now that nobody on earth is more sensitive to a slight downward temperature change than a Southern Californian.

• @tokyoslim Oh believe me, I know. It's like 70 degrees right now and I'm wearing a parka.

• Come and See

I have no words. I could not feel my body. When I came out my throat was dry and my eyes hurt. I wasn't swallowing and I barely blinked. I truly don't know what else to say. No film has done this to me before.

5 stars.

Edit: I have been thinking about this film for the past day, and honestly I think it may be the greatest film ever created. I would never call it my favorite, and frankly I don't know if I have it in me to watch it again, but I think it is perfect. The barrier between screen and viewer is non-existent. You are there. You are witnessing this. You are experiencing this. After viewing-- nay, living this masterpiece, I don't know if I will ever be the same again. To witness the cruelty of human nature so closely is terrifying. I don't know that it could be considered a horror film, but I guarantee you no film is scarier.

• The Lovebirds
    A movie so aggressively Fine that I've already forgotten half of it despite having finished it about an hour ago. Nanjiani and Rae are both likable actors with great comic timing, but they're not given much to do here other than bicker and shout. I wasn't invested or even entertained really while watching, but I wasn't bored either. I don't think I laughed at a single joke, but I also didn't groan. I just sort of existed in a room for 90 minutes and then all the sudden there were credits. C