Last movie you watched

• Today I watched Chunking Express, and damn I liked it a lot. I had previously seen In the Mood for Love, which is also by Wong Kar-wai, and while I liked it quite a bit I didn't connect with it like most people had. This one though, I think I'm gonna be returning to this one on rainy days because of how meaningful it is to me. It is gorgeously shot and surprisingly optimistic, and Tony Leung is without a doubt one of the best actors of his generation.
    5 Stars.

P.S. follow me on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/aidanvilchis/

• @capnbobamous It really is such a beautiful movie. :)

• The classic Quentin Tarantino Presents intro and outro to Chungking Express
    Youtube Video

• @tokyoslim Whoa thanks for pointing this out to me. I knew Tarantino was the reason it got such an audience in America, but it's cool seeing him so passionate about it.

• @capnbobamous Yeah, we talked about how many films QT/Rolling Thunder released in the US during the Reaction Shots a few months ago and Ian reminded me about these intros.

I think that it's hilarious that Tarantino's camera is slowly rotating back and forth between these extreme Dutch Angles. What a nerd. lol

• @tokyoslim I also found it very funny that he decided to wear a jacket after the intro when presumably they filmed both parts at the same time.

• @capnbobamous I will tell you right now that nobody on earth is more sensitive to a slight downward temperature change than a Southern Californian.

• @tokyoslim Oh believe me, I know. It's like 70 degrees right now and I'm wearing a parka.

• Come and See

I have no words. I could not feel my body. When I came out my throat was dry and my eyes hurt. I wasn't swallowing and I barely blinked. I truly don't know what else to say. No film has done this to me before.

5 stars.

Edit: I have been thinking about this film for the past day, and honestly I think it may be the greatest film ever created. I would never call it my favorite, and frankly I don't know if I have it in me to watch it again, but I think it is perfect. The barrier between screen and viewer is non-existent. You are there. You are witnessing this. You are experiencing this. After viewing-- nay, living this masterpiece, I don't know if I will ever be the same again. To witness the cruelty of human nature so closely is terrifying. I don't know that it could be considered a horror film, but I guarantee you no film is scarier.

• The Lovebirds
    A movie so aggressively Fine that I've already forgotten half of it despite having finished it about an hour ago. Nanjiani and Rae are both likable actors with great comic timing, but they're not given much to do here other than bicker and shout. I wasn't invested or even entertained really while watching, but I wasn't bored either. I don't think I laughed at a single joke, but I also didn't groan. I just sort of existed in a room for 90 minutes and then all the sudden there were credits. C

• So I saw Eraserhead for the first time today. I feel vaguely sick and I don't even know why. I was also surprised by how funny it was at points. Don't really know what to rate it because I didn't like it per se, but I also kind of liked it?

• @capnbobamous Yeah, that about sums up my relationship with that movie as well. When I finished it I thought I hated it, but it also stuck with me more than most movies I've seen. Still don't know if I like it, but I do think it's quality.

• I think Spike Lee makes good movies then actively sabotages them with bad choices. The Five Bloods is a movie where I feel like all of the tension and emotional impact of the film is sucked out of it in the final act by the introduction of a figurative mustache twirling villain. The whole film, you watch a mentally ill, traumatized man being allowed to bully, threaten, and cajole his friends and family down the path of bad choice after bad choice. Nobody wants to stand up to him. At times, they actively and willingly follow him down this self-destructive path, enabling his paranoia. Allowing him to dictate their actions on the whims of his xenophobic conspiracy theories because of what... pity? They think it's brotherhood, but brothers would know when to step in and get a dude some help. They are all fucked up in some way though. Which is fine, if that's the kind of movie we're making. The last act reveal of Baddy McBaderson wants us to root for the "heroes". But the only heroes in this movie, are the ones there against their will.

C-

• Finally saw the Joker. Perfectly fine movie. A good example of how intolerant is this outrage era we're living where people violently attack completely legitimate works because it offends them in some convoluted weird way. Kinda like what's happening with TLOU2 right now.

Also saw Da Five Bloods. Kinda like with his KKK movie it's an average flick with great moments in it. I liked how it mixed several movie genres and themes, even if ends up losing consistency because of that I find the exercise in it self appealing. What really hurts the movie for me is the mediocre Direction of actors.

• Given the current climate think I'll give do the right thing another watch tonight. Cheers

• From the last few months:

The Untouchables
    Elliott Ness assembles a crew to take down Capone in prohibition era Chicago. I think I've reached a point in my life where I can admit De Palma isn't for me. I get that his movie is beloved, but I just don't think it's held up well at all. The action is stiff, the acting outsized, and the score - while possibly fine on its own - is so overblown it's practically screaming at you to feel something. There's also just some bizarre dubbing issues that pop up throughout the movie that really took me out of it. There's a solid story in there and it's pretty well-paced, but overall it just fell flat for me. I don't know, I wish I liked this more than I did. C

Captain Fantastic
    A man living off the grid must return to the modern world with his children so that they can attend his wife's funeral. Solid performances elevate a movie that's about as aggressively twee and mumblecore as they make them. The story almost moves in a direction that could have been thought-provoking, forcing characters to reckon with the consequences of their actions, but it never quite commits to anything in a satisfying way. Still a perfectly fine watch, especially if you just generally want to see Viggo Mortensen in movies again, but the movie lacks any bite that would make it memorable. C+

Penguin Highway
    A precocious young boy and his friends try to solve the mystery of why penguins have mysteriously begun appearing in their town. This movie starts as an above-average kids movie about growing up before taking a sharp left turn towards the metaphysical in its last act. Seriously, the story goes to some wild, trippy, and surprisingly melancholic places that I really didn't expect. I later found out it was based on a novel by the author of "The Tatami Galaxy," which makes sense in hindsight. While the relatively simplistic animation style remains visually appealing throughout, by the time I finished watching I wasn't sure exactly who this movie was for. It's certainly too frightening for the youngest viewers, but the story takes so many turns that I think even young teenagers could get lost by the end. Without giving anything away, I feel like recent graduates would probably appreciate this movie more than most, although I think most would be turned off by the art style. Overall a solid movie that I did enjoy, but I'd maybe give it a watch-through yourself before you consider watching it with younger family members. B-

12 Monkeys
    A man is sent back in time to gather information on a deadly plague that has wiped out most of humanity... or is he just insane? This has been on my list of shame for a while, and somehow I forgot that the premise involved a pandemic. That may or may not have colored my viewing here. Either way I had a lot of fun with this movie, and really appreciated how it laid out its rules for time travel. I do think they could have played with the "insanity" aspect of things a bit more, but that's more of a personal preference thing. Overall I thought the script was tight and subversive, and the performances were solid throughout. One thing that bugged me was how Madeleine Stowe essentially just spends 2+ hrs getting gaslit and getting pushed around til she does what the plot needs her to do., but that's not just a 12 Monkeys problem. Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet. B+

The Matrix
    A hacker learns that he is actually living in a simulation, and joins a ragtag group as they fight back the machines in an effort to save humanity. I haven's seen this movie in forever, and it was a bit of a trip seeing how much of it holds up. The story was obviously incredibly forward-thinking and hugely influential (albeit borrowing heavily from Japanese animation and manga). Outside of a couple of dud lines ("Welcome to the desert of the real" is not deep or cool, it's just dumb), the script held up pretty well. When this movie hits, it owns. That said, I found myself rolling my eyes at how much "edgelourde cool kid" shit was scattered throughout the movie, especially when it came to the fire-fights and costume design. You can hear the collective nerd-dom of the late 90s screaming at how cool the leather, shades, and slow motion are, but through the lens of modern day it's just kind of cringe-inducing. The soundtrack is also extremely rough, and falls into that same category of "god, did I think this was cool?" I guess what I'm saying is that I have a lot of self-loathing to work through and this movie isn't helping me. Still incredibly watchable. B+

Birds of Prey
    Following a very public break-up, Harley Quinn must deal with the growing list of people she's wronged. Hilarity ensues! This movie is perfectly fine, with some good action that ultimately falls apart once multiple characters get involved. The story is pretty nonsensical and the chemistry between characters is pretty non-existent, but the same could be said about most DCEU movies. I liked it better than BvS and Justice League, but that doesn't mean it's a good movie. It was entertaining enough for me to want a sequel. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is a treasure and needs more work! C

Weathering With You
    A runaway finds new meaning in life after he meets a girl who can seemingly bring sunshine wherever she goes. I'm really not a huge fan of Shinkai's work - I find that they're beautifully animated and relatively entertaining, but lack any emotional or narrative depth. Don't be fooled by his tricks: a montage set to some killer alt-pop is NOT character development! It just serves to highlight the fact that his stories tend to follow the same general structure: boy meets girl through strange circumstances, characters fall deeply in love despite their better instincts, absurdly high stakes are randomly introduced, boy and girl are split apart (possibly multiple times), ensemble that has been building in the background comes together to help characters reunite, love conquers all. It works for some people, but it just doesn't resonate with me. Still entertaining enough for me to have enjoyed my time with it. B-

Onward
    A boy and his brother embark on a quest to complete the spell that will allow them to meet their deceased father on last time. Hilarity ensues. Honestly, the script and story in this one were pretty weak to me, and the Pixar formula is really starting to show its age to me. The ending was largely predictable and downright manipulative, but it took a turn that I wasn't expecting that hit right in the goddamn gut. I don't think it earned my tears, but it got them anyway. I'm already a sucker for brother stuff, and this movie just twisted that wrench hard. C+

Little Women
    The story of the March family, and the people they've loved and lost. I don't love period pieces, but this movie won me over with its effortless charm and incredible cast. Literally everyone in this movie is magnetic, although I still think Pugh should've been nominated for Midsommar instead of this. I was also shocked at how relatable everyone was, although I identified most strongly with Jo. By the time it finished, I had this strange sense of optimism that I couldn't really explain. A couple moments made me roll my eyes a bit, and I was never that emotionally invested in what was going on, but I was still pleasantly surprised with the movie and really happy I watched it. A-

Palm Springs
    Andy Samberg is stuck at a wedding. Hilarity ensues. The less you know about this movie the better. The Lonely Island are stealthily building up a library of cult classics and I couldn't be happier. Andy Samberg is probably the weak link in this one, but overall this movie went places I didn't expect it to and was all the better for it. Is it going to rock your world? Not at all! But it's still imminently watchable, frequently hilarious, and hiding a depth that genuinely surprised me. B+

• Little Women is surprisingly good. And I don't mean that as a slight. I think it's my favorite adaptation of the source material I've ever seen. I was surprised.

• @tokyoslim I'm usually never down for period prices like that or Jane Austin material. When I took a film class I actually slept through when we watched Pride and Prejudice. I thought Little Women was so jolly and cozy though. I was smiling the whole time.

• In the Mood for Love
    Two neighbors become close after learning their spouses are cheating on them. Wong Kar Wai is a king of visual storytelling, and this film is no exception. The way he uses color and his framing to sell the intimacy and emotional arc of these characters is genuinely masterful, and Maggie Cheung nails that feeling of barely contained despair. I will say that I was hoping for a bit more catharsis by the end, but that's probably the point. Still an incredible watch. A-

Battles Without Honor and Humanity
    The story of the Yamamori clan as the fight to make their mark in post-war Hiroshima. This is my first yakuza movie ever, and I watched it pretty much exclusively because I thought the title and poster were rad as hell. This film is about as '70s gritty as they come, with each kill punctuated by wailing horns and strings. The story itself is rather convoluted and disjointed, with characters switching sides and being offed at such a rate that even the narrator couldn't help me keep track of it all. It probably doesn't help that the characters speak in such a thick accent that they might as well be speaking Korean - even with closed captioning on, I had to re-watch some of the early scenes several times to understand what was being said. The cast is also sprawling. Major characters drop in and out of the plot for long stretches of time, and their re-introduction would almost always result in a head-scratching "wait, who were they again?" moment. The performances ran the gamut from solid to "remembering why I typically don't like the typical Japanese style of acting," with Sugawara being a notable standout. Ultimately, once I stopped thinking too hard and just let things flow I found myself having a good time, and I'm definitely curious to explore this genre a bit more. B-