Last movie you watched

• EWS is great.

• I went and saw TENET this evening.

Not gonna lie, this was the hardest Nolan for me to follow so far. Damn that inversion messed with my head everytime it was happening! Nolan's most twisted time gimmick, this one. I mean I'm sure it's all been thougth through and that the narrative works when you pause to whole damn thing and inspect it at your own pace, I'm not questioning that. It was just super confusing most of the times to get a grasp of things. Again, sure, the big picture I got, but when trying to get a hang of details things got blurry.

And the pace of the movie didn't help it at all. So much information in every sentence, honestly. So much new stuff to try and process in every conversation. The amount of any kind of emotional or intimate, even friendly convos was very minimal. This was so much about that whole time phenomenon.

Visually and editing-wise this utilized the rewind button in a shameless way. Pretty glorious scenes when the two timelines moving towards opposite directions were at play in a same scene at the same time. Again, my face was propably like :O a number of times out there. As a Finn it was cool to see our neighbor Tallinn in Estonia in a big way in this, some pretty neat vehicle action there.

I've got nothing bad to say about the actors. I was pleasently surprised to see Elizabeth Debicki in this one, I had no idea she was cast. Same thing goes to Branagh, I'd only seen one trailer ages ago. And only now at home I read that Ives was Aaron Taylor-Johnson, I simply didn't make that connection at all. Washington and Pattinson as the main couple were nicely on the same page with Nolan, I feel. They delivered what was asked and needed of them.

So all in all this was a pretty wild ride. I mean I knew going in that there'd be some heavy gimmicky action and shit, but I was still blown away by the scale of things in that regard. A pretty challenging trick this time around, Mr. Nolan. An interesting movie, glad I saw it, but as my initial reaction now this won't propably place in my favourites from the man.

• After stewing on it for a few days, I think Bill and Ted Face The Music is an adequate, though predictable sequel. I think that the core conceit B&T learned at the end of 2 was that they would need to put in the work to succeed and that they should/could use shortcuts to that end - using the time machine to train for six months in a matter of seconds - but Face The Music places them right back in the "maybe we can shortcut our way out of this situation" mode where they try to go to the future to steal a song they haven't written yet. Which was a little disappointing, IMO.

I think Keanu especially struggled to reconnect with Ted's naivete - though this may just be my bias having seen him as Neo/Wick for years, Alex Winter on the other hand, and both the "kids" were great. I think Samara Weaving (The Babysitter/Ready or Not) is one of the most promising of the next generation of young actresses in Hollywood - and Brigette Lundy-Paine, who I'm less familiar with, so nailed some of the physical mannerisms of Keanu in the OG movies, that I could easily believe that they were related.

It was definitely a fun movie. I figured out what the end "plot twists" were less than 10 min into it, though overall it was still enjoyable and the resolution of the film was still a nice message. I appreciate it for what it is, but selfishly wish that maybe it was a little deeper and more consistent. B+

• Charlie Kaufman has the incredible ability to tap into the human experience like no other, and does it in such a way that you don't even know exactly why it affects you so. It's like his work just reaches inside of your brain, tapping into parts of it that you can't identify. I'm thinking of ending things continues that trend, and manages to be even more mystifying than his previous work. If you were to ask me what happened, I wouldn't be able to tell you. What I would be able to tell you however, is that I felt it deeply.

The performances in this film are astounding. Toni Collette and David Thewlis in particular deliver damn near career-defining performances, bringing both heart and an unmistakable eerieness to it. Guy Boyd manages to be beautifully heartbreaking as well.

I have not read the book, and after seeing this film I don't think I want to. Not because I think I won't like it, but because adding any more clarity to this film could ruin the beauty of it. I have no clue what it means, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

4.5/5 Stars

• Youtube Video

Streaming free on Kanopy with a library card.

• I'm thinking of ending things
    Charlie Kaufman A young woman meditates on life and humanity over an increasingly bizarre trip to meet her boyfriend's parents. If you've watched any Kaufman, you know what you're getting into. This is a deeply metaphorical movie that's difficult to describe without spoiling (or at least - spoiling what I believe happened in it). Kaufman's intentions are apparent fairly early on in the movie, to the point where formal techniques to enhance his meaning become distracting as opposed to enthralling. The performances and cinematography across the board are outstanding, and this movie certainly made me feel things that few others have, but ultimately it’s mostly a curiosity that falls apart by the end. It's a difficult recommend, but if you're at all interested I suggest you at least have a friend on hand to talk to after you're done. C+

• Rewatched a couple movies over the last few nights.

Went on a Denis Villenuave kick after seeing the trailer for Dune, so I did a double feature night and watched Prisoners and Sicario. Prisoners I think especially holds up with the feeling it gives off. It has a cozy feeling that's permeated with this camerawork from Roger Deakins that creates this layer of dread with different creeping shots. The acting is pretty awesome from Jackman, and the questioning of morality as things go on, especially from the perspectives of a regular set of lower-middle class family people against the opposing character story of Gyllenhall's detective thread is pretty harrowing. It runs a little long and there are some questions that I think could have been explained better, but overall it's an awesome mystery with a chilling atmosphere in a unique setting.

8.7/10

Sicario is a completely different kind of movie, but still has things that I feel are distinctly of the director's flavor. There are plenty of slow, beautiful scenic shots, specifically sunset shots in this one with silhouetted characters that are awesome. While the story takes a long time to explain itself and get going, leaving the audience in the dark with the main character, it really pays off at the end. The final shot, after all the pieces have come together and we understand why and how the events as a whole fit together is chilling, and makes you think from the perspectives of a lot of different people coming from different angles and cultures. Acting from all parties here is top notch, especially Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin who are perfect cocky counterbalance to Emily Blunt and Daniel Kaluuya's audience surrogate characters. Definitely one you just need to see a second time after you've seen it the first time.

8.9/10

Also rewatched Silence of the Lambs last night. I hadn't seen it since High School, but did a brief study on it in a film course I took more recently. It's pretty fascinating how all the shots are designed to unsettle the audience from the perspective of the protagonist by having characters speak and look directly into the camera, and therefore the audiences' eyes. In the course mentioned, we talked about how it was crafted to be uncomfortable from the perspective of a woman in a male dominated profession, or to give you the cautionary and uncomfortable feeling many women have in a daily basis when speaking to people or being in situations, and the camerawork does this extremely well. Anthony Hopkins still kills at his role here and I forgot how little he's actually in the movie given the impact he has. I'll definitely have to read this book at some point to see what sorts of missing information is there that didn't make it to screen. I think the standout thing here is the pacing, as there isn't a lot of actual action or violence. It's all a slow burn buildup to the finale, as we slowly uncover clues and investigate with Starling.

9.2/10

• Ni No Kuni
    Two teens are transported to a fantastical world as they fight to save their friend in a movie that serves as the most definitive proof yet that we'll never have a good video game adaptation. Seriously, it's unreal to me that they managed to screw this one up. The first ten minutes or so show some promise; it carries some of the lovely mystical air that made the game world so enjoyable, and I appreciate the effort to center a disabled character. In general I guess you could argue that the base story here is fine, but the storytelling is stilted to high hell, the character development is horrendously rushed, and the animation is shockingly bad at times. There is a 15 minute stretch or so that's supposed to be a major battle sequence/conflict, but ends up playing out as a series of characters expositing important information over bad CGI. Even when viewed as a kids movie, the main beats here are asinine in the way that they play out. The only thing that I genuinely liked in this movie is the score, which owes most of its power to Joe Hisaishi's score from the original game. I say watch the first ten minutes and then skip the rest. C-

• @naltmank have you seen that Dragon Quest movie that came out recently? I was curious.

• @happygaming lol that's what I was going to watch instead of this one originally. The animation was great from what I saw, but I could tell from the get go that it was gonna be an insane rush job so I gave up pretty quickly. DQV is a very special game to me, though, so I was sort of setting myself up for failure there. That said, I did read up on the "controversy" around it and think it's hilarious. Pretty sure I'm not missing much.