Last movie you watched

• I should give Grave of the Fireflies another look. I really liked some things about it, but its design as a grim weepie turned me off. I really like some of Takahata's other films though, especially Only Yesterday and The Story of Yanagawa's Canals.

• Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    A high budget episode of Arrow set in the Jurassic Park universe. Fuck this movie. F

• @ringedwithtile said in Last movie you watched:

a grim weepie

It's THE grim weepie

• The Babysitter: Killer Queen

I'm a pretty big fan of the first movie, which played around with common slasher tropes and had interesting and unexpected dialogue and character choices. The level of camp felt appropriate to the first film. The second movie, ratchets the camp factor up a few notches, while losing some of the same subversion and interesting character the first film has, but it's still a very fun slasher. I just think it took a sizable step into serialized slasher fic sequel syndrome. (say that 3 times fast!)

Samara Weaving is still a damn fine movie star, and there's enough fun homages and musical cues (shoutout to Love on a Real Train by Tangerine Dream!) to keep film nerds amused, if not wholly invested.
    C+

• The Wind Rises
    A young man pursues his dreams of becoming an artist an airplane designer. I think most people knew that when Hayao Miyazaki announced that this would be his last movie, he was bluffing. He's "retired" before, and certainly this time would be as permanent as the last. However, after finally watching this film, I'm honestly disappointed he's decided to continue; this is his magnum opus. Existing somewhere in the realm between fact and fiction, past and present, this is a deeply personal tale of an artist looking back on his life and career and trying to figure out what it means to be human. There is so much beautiful, powerful subtext that is baked into the very fiber of this movie, all the way down to the sound design. I think it is very intentional that so many of the sound effects are vocalized by man, blending the threshold between man's power over what it creates and the relentless power of nature. These are the themes that Miyazaki ruminates on again and again, questioning how the nature of man changes from childhood to adulthood, and how the artist may find himself both enmeshed in those and beside them. If it is the boy's nature to dream, then it is the artist's nature to create. But what is lost when an artist devotes himself so fully to his craft? How can one reconcile with the destruction that their creations may unleash? Miyazaki - hardly known for his subtlety - pulls at the strings of these questions with more restraint than he's ever shown, with a script that easily tops his storied career. The marriage between his artistry, script, direction, and Joe Hisaishi's score culminates in one of the most beautiful and moving sequences I've seen in film - animated or otherwise. And while he never truly answers all the questions he poses, Miyazaki does leave one thing clear: none of this is possible without the love and kinship of those you hold dear. A

• Last few I've watched:

The Insider - 9.5/10

Considering how much I love Heat and Pacino, I can't believe it took until 2020 for me to watch this. I actually like it more than Heat. The true story speaks for itself and I love me some hard hitting journalism.

I think it works because they didn't go for this newsreel version of reality like, say, Zero Dark Thirty. They just make every scene riddled with drama and some of the tension feels bigger than a thriller/action movie.

Bloodsport - Infinitely Rewatchable/10

I got a craving to watch Bloodsport last night. I never get tired of this movie but I've somehow gone like 3+ years without watching it. People say Chong Li is the most evil movie villain but I honestly give the edge to Tong Po in Kickboxer. Bloodsport is way more lighthearted and whimsical then I remember it being. It adds to the charm but takes away from some of the "Evilness" I put onto Chong Li.

• Been going through the AV Club's retro lists of best movies of 1999, 2000, and 2001. Just rapidly downloading random movies from those years that I haven't seen and uploading them to my Plex Media Server. I was really young then and as I was growing up, the aughts and 90s didn't have the aura of the 70s and 80s so other than the obvious classics like Goodfellas, The Usual Suspects, Matrix, etc, I missed a lot of the fantastic in-betweens and have been catching up slowly (i.e. Eyes Wide Shut, The Virgin Suicides, Mulholland Dr, etc).

Likewise, it's October and I need to get some Halloween dread in. I checked out Cinemassacre's best horror film of every decade since 1920s video that they released last night:

Best Horror By Decade - Cinemassacre's Monster Madness
    Youtube Video

So I'm going to download some of the Universal monster movies from the 1960s. Probably check out Frankenstein vs Wolf Man. I'm not a monster movie guy, but I want to check some of these out.

Last night I watched:

The Cabin in the Woods - 5.5/10

This movie is pretty amusing and I think it did a good job of creating an entertaining premise by spinning the teen horror trope on its head, but it really missed an opportunity to actually bring the scares. Again, the premise works, but it's just missing actual horror filmmaking language to build suspense and dread. I don't see why this movie couldn't have done that AND done everything else it does (which I won't spoil).

It's fine but the Joss Whedon whimsy comedy just doesn't do anything for me. I always liked Buffy, but I can't get into his comedic tone that he brings to all of his films. If you like that Avengers kinda ha-ha cackle laugh comedy, this movie will probably resonate better with you.

Over The Top - 8/10

UNDERRATED. I checked the production notes and I'm pretty convinced Stallone wrote this movie to just pay himself a massive salary because the he took 50% of the budget in salary and was contracted to write and produce the edit after different filmmakers started the project. Either way, I think more of the budget could've gone into better razzle dazzle because the premise is pretty solid. This could've been a big movie like Rocky IV, Bloodsport, Karate Kid, if they spent more of the budget on directing rather than Stallone's $15M pay day.

I always assumed this was a greasy trucker movie with lot lizard's, drunk driving, and chewing dip, but it's actually a feel-good father son bonding movie. Like any good Stallone script, he brings an immense amount of "feel good" good-guy scenes to the table and I can't resist Stallone when he plays a super honest good guy. Then the last 1/4 of the movie turns up the heat and gives us that sweet 80s muscle mass action that we all come to expect.

It's a brisk 90 mins and it's like 25% montage movie, 25% action, and 50% feel-good schlock so I'm kinda surprised people write this one off. I really had a fun time.

• @dipset The Criterion Channel has like 24 horror films from the 70s of you're interested.

• @capnbobamous

Somebody told me you can't like hook your laptop up to your TV using the Criterion app though? Some sort of DRM protections they have?

If they got rid of that, I'd subscribe. Or made a Samsung TV or PS4 app.

• @dipset huh that's odd. I've watched movies over discord with it and there weren't any DRM protections. Obviously not the same thing but it seems weird to me to have protections for one and not the other.

• @capnbobamous

Oh shit! I just checked their website and they DO have a Samsung app now! I have the Q70R model but their website only lists Q70 so I hope it's the same thing.

I'm actually shaking in excitement. I'll check tonight if it works.

Between my Plex Server and now this, I'll have so many god damn good movies at my fingertips.

• I just saw The Wicker Man, and it is perhaps my new favorite "horror" movie, if you could call it that. It is absolutely entrancing, and after watching it I was a little pissed off because I don't think there is any other movie that comes close to capturing the tone of this one. It is so unique, and utterly defies genre conventions. Hell, there were even points where I was getting Muppets vibes because of the comical editing and musical numbers. It's like if Hitchcock made Mary Poppins, with a dash of Cannibal Holocaust.

God I wish there were more movies like this.

• @Capnbobamous

Bad news. The Criterion website claims to have a Samsung Smart TV app, but then I check the store and they don't. Then when you inquire about it on their website, under the Samsung page, it talks about "compatible Tizen TV devices" and I have no clue what Tizen TV even is. Also no app for that.

Then also on their website, contradictory to listing Samsung TV's as having a compatible app, they say "If you have a Smart TV, such as Samsung, it may not be possible to log in or play the content from the built-in internet browser. In other words, it could work, but those browsers are not among our currently supported browsers." Which isn't exactly the same as saying "yes we have an app".

So I'm still shit outta luck until they sort that situation out.

The Full Monty - 8/10

In 2020, we live in a world where people are openly discussing mental health issues people are encouraging body positivity, and the disadvantages of the working class are hot topics in any political discourse, The Full Monty has aged like a fine wine!

Every character in this movie are so admirably ordinary that it puts other "average" characters in movies to shame. These guys look normal, they act normal, and they have the most normal problems that everyone can relate to.

What amazes me is that the joke about job loss leading to men stripping should be depressing, but they do it in this uplifting way where you can be satirical about industrialization without getting too deep into the weeds. It's more like a back drop. Then watching every guy overcome their insecurities gives the movie this empowering feeling. It NEVER punches down. In one scene, they use the word "poof" in an obviously derogatory way, but in context, it's just Gaz being insecure that the stripper guys look good and are getting paid while he's laid off work.

Another thing that blows my mind is how this is essentially School of Rock for adults. School of Rock takes all the beats of this movie, including going one by one with every character addressing their insecurities, to the point where I can't believe School of Rock didn't get any flack for being so similar to this, which released a few years beforehand.

Fun personal tidbits - My step dad purchased this and The Matrix as our first DVDs in 1999. I was too young to watch this one, but my parent's let me anyways. I barely remember anything so this was a viewing with fresh eyes and my biggest takeaway is how it has aged so well in today's society.

• @DIPSET I use an Amazon Fire TV box to access The Criterion Channel. It's probably the cheapest method if you don't already have compatible hardware.

• @dipset Damn that sucks, sorry. I know they have an app for Xbox, but I don't know if you have one.