Last movie you watched

• Contratiempo(The Invisible Guest)

Spanish thrillers are really good and this one is no exception. It was my second viewing in short period but I still enjoyed it. You just go with the flow and try to guess the answers but most of the time you are wrong which is great. :DDD It was the second movie that I watched from the same director and I'm planning to watch the other works of him both movei and series.

Note: Don't look anything before watching it for to get max enjoyment out of it.

Awesome

Solo: A Star Wars Story

It was the only SW movie that I haven't watch. Glad that I did but at the same time I wouldn't miss anything if the situation were the same as before.

My main problem is the running time which is too long for the movie. It could get more benefit from cutting it shorter than it is. Also main guy who plays the Han is not someone special, he is not irritating but not so likeable neither(I don't like Harrison Ford too in the role and I think character should be played by someone else), Emilia Clarke looks old for him too. Another one is Lando performance of Donald Glover which I saw people praised too much, he is good but nothing to cheer for. Paul Bettany was wasted and it would be nice to see more of Thandie Newton.

With all that said, I would like to watch a sequel without all those bts issues just to see how much would it changed. And after watching the movie I realized that it's really fun too see these side stories without much of JedivsSith thing, like Rogue One which is my second favourite SW movie and this one, The Mandalorian's 1st season too.

Just wake me up when they turn these stories into full length movies:

Youtube Video

Average

• Finally got a chance to watch Memories of Murder

I really liked this one. It has a lot of familiar flavors from Fincher classics like Se7en and Zodiac; the polar opposite cops from different necks of the woods trying to solve a murder, abstractly guessing clues and piecing together a picture that may never form a reality. I didn't actually know that this was inspired by true events of Korea's first serial murders until I looked up more about it post-watch. Especially with this in mind, what really makes this movie unique shines through: the actual inexperience of the characters involved and the quiet setting it takes place in.

One detective is from Seoul, but has transferred to the country in the Northern province of South Korea to assist in catching the killer. While more experienced compared to Song Kang-Ho's role as the country detective, it's apparent neither of them are dealing with events they know how to process. They go about things in a very slipshod manner, completely unprepared to interview potential suspects and compose a profile. In a quiet town like this, these sorts of things just haven't happened before.

Without spoiling the ending (unless you look up the stories it's based on), it ends in a way that took me a little bit to process, but also feels completely suited to what it was leading up to all along. After all that we see come to pass throughout the ordeal, the whole thing feels a little sad and haunted. I imagine it will just be better upon a rewatch.

If you enjoy detective films, Bong Joon-Ho, Korean dramas and slow-burning stories that require your attention, don't pass this one up. It's probably one of my favorite Joon-Ho films to date, though Parasite still takes the cake so far.

Now onto The Host, Barking Dogs Never Bite or Okja.

• Sound of Metal

What a great movie! As an able bodied person, I don't want to speak on behalf of those who are deaf or a part of Deaf culture, but I think a lot of people in that culture will appreciate this one. It's about a tried and true rock n roller having to cope with deafness as an adult, which as far as he can tell, will directly affect his ability to live the life he wants to live.

I've met enough people within deaf culture to know that a lot of the general public don't even understand that deaf people have their own community and culture, and like many so called disabilities, many deaf people embrace who they are and choose to live this way for one reason or another. Likewise, many families choose to give their children relatively new medical tech called cochlear implants, which again, is highly debated within households with deaf children. The protagonist Ruben copes with all of this internally, and I think the movie does an amazing job to representing the human side of the internal struggle with a "disability" as well as the greater representation of people who happily live as a deaf community.

It's great to see representation on screen and this is what I want to see more of. My only complaint is that we've seen this plot structure many times before, but it's still really great regardless.

Also SUPER shout out to the lead actor Riz Ahmed who knocks it out of the park. You can see his anguish, his fear, his happiness, and just so much personality through not only his words but the way he moves his body. I can only image he's nothing like Ruben in real life and he just put on a show here.

A

• CBGB

Threw this on as background noise while I had to do a boring task at work. I grew up on punk rock, and I'm aware of the importance of the CBGB club, so I figured I'd give the movie a try but my fuck this script is awful.

Kinda makes you appreciate biopics like Straight Outta Compton (a movie I didn't love) because movies like that at least have a better tonal balance of drama with the occasional whimsy. This movie is just trying way too hard to be lighthearted, which is especially weird considering how ruthless the punk scene was. I mean back then, there were literal punk gangs who'd stomp one another out for fun. The tone of this movie is a mess.

Nobody can act either. Alan Rickman does a serviceable job, but his character is constantly making terrible decisions and his calm isn't much different from his angry or his happy.

Honestly, I'd rather watch a documentary about CBGB than this biopic about it's owner and the bands that shaped the punk scene. The only redeeming quality of the movie is the music: Talking Heads, Dead Boys, Blondie, Ramones, Television, etc. Again, maybe just play the records and skip the movie.

D+

• I haven't had time to read beyond the first paragraph but NYT did a write up on Riz Ahmed who starred in Sound of Metal. He played a really loud character (pun intended) and knocked it out of the park so I'm going to read this later:

0_1611946143409_ebf6e8ad-0bca-47bb-b49f-e5c6f4651508-image.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/28/movies/riz-ahmed-sound-of-metal.html

• Spider-Man 3

I don't know how many times I watched the original trilogy but everytime they felt the same: Awesome. Spider-Man 3 is very underrated unfortunately. While I do agree some complains about the Venom and Peter's change(even though I'm okay with it) I strongly disagree that these make the whole film bad. It's the least successful movie of the series but still much better than most of comic book movies that come after for years. Another point is people tell we do like these movies and exaggerate them because of the nostalgia but whenever I think about it and watch the films time to time, I just don't think it's true at all. Original trilogy still is miles better than other 2 Spidey series.

My wildest dream for years was to watch Spider-Man 4 some day(Until Endgame surpass that a bit) and I thought it was impossible but maybe Sony will change their mind in the upcoming years if the rumours are true so I can say these words from the bottom of my heart:

and years later they’ll tell how they stood in the rain for hours, just to get a glimpse of the one who taught them to “hold on a second longer”.

Youtube Video

• @scotty

I really liked the series as a kid. I might've shared my thoughts about it somewhere else on these forums but I was really excited for a 4th movie that was definitely announced but later canceled (I think).

Even as a kid, that 3rd movie didn't click with me very much. It's just too corny. But I'd like to watch it again, it had its moments. And looking back as an adult, I don't like the melodrama in any of them, but I think the first Spider-Man has the best tone. That perfect blend of comic cartoonery, a healthy dose of melodrama, and a pretty vengeful and intense villain.

Other than The Watchman and Batman Begins I don't even like superhero movies since this OG Spidey trilogy. They all dabble in a world with such absolute extremes and hyper elevated stakes. Just isn't for me. I like how the first Spidey just feels so muted compared to superhero movies of today.

• I watched the Vanished on Netflix I really hope this was a jet black comedy. Otherwise I just don't know. Bizarre.

• PotC: On Stranger Tides

Not the first time I've watched it. Yet again, I like this movie and the series. Most people think this one is below average or downright bad but I couldn't more opposite to them. This one was still nice even though it's a little bit worse than the trilogy. I'd have like to see its continuation with Penelope Cruz's Angelica with Jack again instead of the borefest that we got called Salazar's Revenge.

Another thing I like to share is how they implemented the mermaids into this world. Music, atmosphere, their true nature etc were really mysterious yet fascinating.

The Matrix

A sci-fi masterpiece. The best in the trilogy. Unfortunately everything comes after this just became worse and worse. But I might watch the whole trilogy again just for the sake of upcoming movie and memory refreshing.

Btw, lobby scene is still cool as fck!

• The Matrix Reloaded

Story is not as strong as the first one but action is really improved. That's saying something when even first movie's action scenes were really good and had awesome choreographies. I especially love

NeovsAgentSmiths and whole action from the start of NeovsHenchmans to NeosavesMorpheusandKeyGuy.

Now, we are coming to the lowest point of the trilogy. I sure hope that third one isn't as bas as I remember.