Last movie you watched

• I've been watching so many movies since I last posted so I can't even remember what I've seen anymore but here are some based on 'Recently Played' from my Plex server:

• Pusher (A) (never seen this series before, it's amazing. A crime series without shootouts, car chases, or explosions)
    • Pusher II: With Blood on My Hands (A+)
    • Martin Eden (B+)
    • Mulholland Drive (C)
    • Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (C-)
    • The Talented Mr. Ripley (A+) (also jumped up into one of my favourite movies)
    • The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans (A+)
    • Happy People: A Year in the Taiga (A-)
    • Little Dieter Needs to Fly (A+)
    • Punch Drunk Love (C+) (not as good as I remembered it)
    • Chasing Amy (A-) (better than I remembered it, hold up well despite a character being homophobic)
    • A Thousand Cuts (A-)
      https://youtu.be/JQpjfWV_p6E

I think A Thousand Cuts is a must watch. People in the West think what happens in the East isn't pertinent to them, but Durtede's rule in the Philippines is a ground zero testing ground for how governments can get away with misinformation and using bots to sway the public one way or another. His ascension is terrifying and I know people in the Philippines though my family who had to flee the country because they are scared to be murdered by the police due to their former addiction issues.

• mother (2009, Bong Joon Ho) (B-)
    • Nomadland (A+)

• @dipset said in Last movie you watched:

The Talented Mr. Ripley (A+) (also jumped up into one of my favourite movies)

Correct.

• The Dry: a taut and suspenseful mystery/thriller. A big-city police officer goes back his hometown to solve the murder of his childhood friend, with whom he may or may not have been embroiled in the death of a girl as a teen. Basically, two mysteries in one that unfold nicely. B+
    Youtube Video

• Also recently watched My Octopus Teacher, which I enjoyed.

• @dipset said in Last movie you watched:

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans (A+)

0_1617941203662_4316d2a7-c10f-4d99-964c-cc851718dce3-image.png

• Riders of Justice:

From the writer/director of Men and Chicken. Starring Mads Mikkelsen.
    Wow. Not what I was expecting!
    Parenting, unlearning toxic behaviors, the value of therapy, overcoming trauma, the perils of oversharing on social media (the irony of this post is not lost on me!)... and Mads going full on John Wick on a biker gang! Highly recommended! A- to an A

Youtube Video

• @tokyoslim

I've been on a Mads Mikkelsen binge since watching Another Round and I think he might be one of my favourite all time actors.

The Pusher series I mentioned earlier is co-starring Mads where he is a minor character in the first film, then the focus is on his character in the second film. Pusher 1 is one of those plots where one character is way in over their head and continues to make terrible decisions pretty much like a Danish version of Bad Lieutenant Port of Call or Uncut Gems, but the main character is a little less unhinged and more along the lines of being really stupid. I highly recommend the series.

Bad Trip - B+

This has no business being as funny as it is, but I really really enjoyed it. Jeff Tremaine is basically the defacto big budget hidden camera public prank storyteller so it's no surprise his production company made this.

What separates Bad Trip from Jackass public pranks or Bad Grandpa is that the story writers (Eric Andre, Kitao Sakurai, Andrew Barchilon) made the really great decision to tell the plot throughout the pranks. Whereas Bad Grandpa has pranks but then has a scene or two of plot before getting back into the funny moments. Essentially, every scene in this movie except for maybe one or two short driving scenes are not only storytelling, but also public pranks and stunts. There aren't any lulls.

This movie actually has a really good pace, a solid and simple plot, and the pranks are just funny and outrageous. The gorilla is my favourite by far, Jesus fucking Christ. It's also nice to see how different people react to different scenarios whereas sometimes Jackass in its early years on MTV just went to Japan because filming in public is legal there so you only get Japanese people's reactions. Everyone here is American but you get a good group of people reacting to these pranks which kinda adds something extra.

Collateral - B

I finally saw this for the first time. The Insider and Heat are two of my favourite films so I figured I'd watch what many consider to be Michael Mann's best but I think it was just alright. It has its thrilling moments but it suffers from some disorienting scenes. One scene takes place at a club and you can barely tell what is happening, who is shooting at whom.

I also don't buy Tom Cruise as an imposing presence. He just comes off as too chill and unintimidating and by that same token, Jamie Fox just seems too meek when he is actually a relatively brave character. I don't know, I love the premise and set up for all of the scenes, but the execution is off. I definitely don't think it's Michael Mann's best film.

• Been replacing movies with sports lately. Upon the recommendation from comedian Brent Butt, I watched some Billy Wilder movies in order of release.

Double Indemnity - (A-)

A good thriller plot with pretty good twists and turns. The main premise is a cat and mouse between an insurance salesman who is scamming the system to elope with his married lover and his cunning supervisor who smells something fishy.

My key takeaway was the line: "She lived in one of those Spanish houses. Must've cost $30,000. That is, if he ever finished paying for it." Wow must be nice to buy a house in 1944. Looks like a mansion too!

Sunset Boulevard - (A)

This is a classic for a reason. I was surprised how damning it depicts Hollywood all the way back in 1950. This has aged quite wonderfully in the #MeToo era.

The Apartment - (A+)

The best of the bunch. This jumped up to one of my favourite all time comedies. The entire joke is so ridiculous to the point I have no idea how somebody came up with this shit.

A desk jockey tries to climb the corporate ladder by letting his superiors bang their mistresses in his apartment after hours. He slowly becomes a shell of a human and, again, this is just a damning depiction of capitalism and how it strips you of humanity and self care.

It's also just so absurd that most scenes keep topping itself. Really funny, really well acted, and one of the greats in my eyes.

• Black Widow (2021)

After two years MCU is back in theaters! It opened today in Finland, naturally went and saw it right away.

The movie is pretty standard Marvel. Firmly in the middle ground. I loved the characters the most, they were the clear winners here. The whole central four, the family. Yelena and Alexei got all the best lines (rightfully so). There's a cool and surprising James Bond tribute in there as well.

The film works well independently outside the bigger MCU and tells a nice, personal story as Natasha's farewell. Better late than never, in my opinion.

• Black Widow

It was nice. I have only two negatives about it: Hand to hand fights were not very satisfying comparing to John Wick, Kingsman, Atomic Blonde even Winter Soldier and family drama aspect felt repetitive sometimes, especially at

Melinda's house

Florence Pugh stole the show, can't wait to see more of her in the MCU. Taskmaster was menacing but character could be used more effectively, still not wasted as much as Ghost from Ant-Man and the Wasp. Story was good for a solo movie too, it was bittersweet to say one goodbye to Natasha. Btw Red Guardian was not funny at all and his scenes didn't affect me in anyway except the one from the 1st act, movie could be even better without him. Finally: Intro was the best in the MCU and post credits scene was intriguing. From the soundtrack I really loved the one that plays in this clip:

Youtube Video – [00:10..]

Run Lola Run

I finally watched it. Don't want to spoil it but

What if...?

type of scenarios are one of my favourite kind in media. I was expecting 1-2 outcomes but for what it was I enjoyed it. Also, I really respect to the movies which has a style of its own.

• Pig

Sincerity through the absurd.

Pig, a film where Nic Cage takes on the chef underworld to find his stolen truffle pig, is one of the most beautifully sincere films I've ever seen. It relishes in its own ridiculousness, and yet completely subverts it by creating a meditation on the meaning of life, made with love and honesty. Pig is absurd. It's also one of the most genuine films ever made, covering themes of hope, grief and love with skill that defies its premise. Nic Cage also delivers one of the best performances of his career here, vanishing into the role to create a character that is undoubtedly the emotional core of the film.

Pig is a film that achieves a beauty that would not be possible without a little bit of craziness. It has a premise that is so wild that it's a marvel it exists, yet is so perfect that it somehow feels inevitable. I fear this is a film that will pass a lot of people by. Don't let it.

4.5/5