Last movie you watched

• Loved pretty much everything about Dune. Brilliant high budget cinema.

• Dune

Long, slow, tiring, strange. And even with all of those far from bad. For the love of God please keep

dream sequences

at minimum for the sequel.

• Is it bad that I have almost no interest in Dune? I like Villeneuve but something seems to cheesy about Dune. Also sword fighting in sci-fi. Star Wars tests my limits of that.

I swear, 95% of my art criticism are nit picks that I can’t see past.

• Eternals was a good movie. The most peaceful of the MCU films. It's a long one, too, but didn't feel like it in the end. The drama is the clearest this time around, if you can say that. The ten main characters worked well and they had good conversations. The gargantuan cosmic backstory behind this all felt huge, crazy that they managed to tie this into everything we've seen so far.

• @dipset That's my main complain about Dune, it's borderline cheesy. But for the most part is a cool movie, it's just that the soundtrack mixed with Villeneuve's style, at times, is a bit over the top.

• Watched Shallow Hal again which is still hilarious a film.

• Last Night in Soho

Don't miss this. It was really good. Second movie from the year that surprised me and was better than what I expected.

First one was A Quiet Place: Part II for anyone wondering.

• @scotty I watched this one last night. I honestly came in with high expectations due to Edgar Wright. I wouldn't say it disappointed me, but it is a bit of a let down.

If you're thinking of watching it, don't expect much sense or cohesion from the narrative. Go for the visuals and music, they were sublime.

• @demonpirate

I liked the story and flow of it too. Getting darker and darker etc. Resolutions at the end, tying it all together.

• Licorice Pizza

Licorice Pizza is like watching Usain Bolt run laps inside your local high school gymnasium, or perhaps like eating the greatest grilled cheese you’ve ever had as prepared by Gordon Ramsey. It’s watching a man at the top of his craft make a deceptively simple, yet deeply mesmerizing work of art, and do so effortlessly. It's not Paul Thomas Anderson's most important work, nor his grandest, but in many ways it feels like his best. It's just joyful, warm, and surprisingly funny. Certainly the wittiest film he's ever made.

I think much of its success lies in its structure. Licorice Pizza sees stories fade in and out at will, as the film bobs and weaves around anything resembling a conventional, linear narrative. Somehow this lack of a goal creates a film that feels more focused, as stories last just as long as they need to, never more and never less. These mini stories (I hesitate to say vignette because the film flows so well that it never feels segmented) come and go to fulfill two purposes: to grow the two main characters, and to create feeling.

This is a film that feels above everything else, a combination of fears and loves and those indescribable emotions that you try and fail to bury deep, which say more about you than you would like to admit. All of these emotions come together to create a film that feels remarkably airy, almost ethereal, so much so that I truly believe I could watch it a dozen times in a row and still ask for more.

These feelings would be nothing, however, without the two leads, both of whom absolutely knock it out of the park. Alana Haim and Cooper Hoffman both deliver the best breakout performances anybody could ever ask for. It's frankly shocking that they've never professionally acted before, and they're both deserving of the Oscar nominations that they will inevitably get. I think Hoffman is a shoe-in for later success, but I sincerely hope Alana Haim acts more, because she really is terrific. Can't imagine the role going to anybody else.

Licorice Pizza is a damn good movie, the kind that really makes you appreciate what the art form is capable of. I predict that it will be rather controversial when it goes to wide-release, the subject matter all but destines it for misinterpretation, but I know that I had the time of my life. I've thought a lot about what I would rate it, what I think the film could have done better, and the more I think about it the more I realize there's nothing I would change. For some reason it doesn't feel right calling the film perfect, and yet it does absolutely everything perfectly. I think I'm kidding myself if I refer to it as anything else.

10/10

• There's No Place Like This Place Anyplace - A+
    Youtube Video

http://www.theresnoplacelikethisplace.com/

I saw this at Hot Doc's theatre last week. It won some awards in 2020 and I had a chance to catch a screening much later. It's about a legendary store called "Honest Ed's" which was around in the heart of Toronto for about 75 years before closing down and turning into a condo development. It's really become a sad symbol of gentrification and the housing crisis as this is one of the few examples of an entire city block being closed down suddenly and turned into condos.

I used to live right in this neighbourhood from 2015-2019 so I am very fond of Honest Ed's and Mirvish Village. It's funny cause I would've been walking to work past the filmmakers every day while they were making this and I had no idea.

The proprietor of Honest Ed's is Ed Mirvish, who also owned homes on "Markham Street" right next to Honest Ed's and charged these businesses fair rent for generations. I used to go to Suspect Video on Markham Street to find really weird old movies that you just can't find online. Mirvish Village really truly was a unique part of the city.

This isn't a documentary about Ed Mirvish though. It's a commentary on the housing crisis in Toronto, and the overarching issues we face here can easily be applied to any housing bubble in North America.

The general thesis of the film is: "Are we building condos, or are we building neighbourhoods?" It should be a simple question to answer but it isn't because the fact of the matter is that very few condo corps care what they build so long as it gets purchased.

The documentary covers a variety of locals and business owners across many generations in the Mirvish Village and it has an overall optimistic theme, but I can't help but feel bleak and apathetic after watching. I just don't see any politician or corporation helping me afford a house in the city I live in.

I'd recommend for the feels but also for anybody living in a city who might relate.