Last movie you watched

• I watched Ghost in the Shell and Boss Baby today. I enjoyed both far more than I initially thought I would. If you have low expectations, these movies will be pleasant surprises. I actually think Boss Baby might actually be like... GOOD. I don't want to sell it short, but it's got a lot of heart and is well animated.

• Global Moderator

I watched Ghost in the Shell. As a huge fan of the anime I really liked it due to a lot of iconic scenes and hint to the series. However, it didnt really add anything to the universe so that was a little disappointed. I would say its well worth a watch and there were bits where I just smiled ear to ear seeing things, but I could also tell what would happen most of the film.

• I watched the new Mighty Morphin Power Rangers movie yesterday and i must say i was pleasantly surprised. I was, and still am a big fan of the original 3 seasons. I'm a big nostalgia nerd, and with the incredible bad trend of bad nostalgia movies as of late (Transformers, GI-Joe, Ninja Turtles), i was very pessimistic about this movie. I thought it found the right balance between honoring the show and earning it's own spot. Most of the action was at the end of the movie, but i felt that there was a good amount of character building before that, i liked the pacing. The rangers suites them self looked better then i thought, but they still look weird, also the Zords look very bad. But still, this movie was SO MUCH fun. I can't wait for the next movie, which was obviously teased in the end.

It's Morphin Time !

• 3 movies:

I finally watched Fantastic Beasts on my flight home last week. I thought it was a bit overstuffed, with too many tonal swings that felt really jarring. I think it would have been better if they cut out the whole obscurus storyline and instead focused only on the magical beasts and Newt's storyline. There were some great visuals and creature design, and I thought it was pretty harmless fun overall. 6/10

After that finished up I watched Miss Hokusai, and animated movie about the daughter of Katsuhika Hokusai (arguably the most iconic and well-known Japanese artist, especially from the Edo period). It's told sort of in four separate vignettes, each illustrating a different season in a year of her life. Really, though, it's about art and how artists view the world. It's one of the few movies I've seen where I left thinking that it had to be animated, not because of the plot or the characters involved, but because of the way it played with the medium. I knew nothing about this movie going in and was absolutely blown away. I don't understand why Your Name was so hyped up whereas this was overlooked. Definitely check it out if you can. 9/10

Finally, a couple days later, I finally got to see Logan. While I think that the people saying that it's an award-worthy movie are being a little too unrealistic, I did really enjoy it overall. There were some fantastic performances and setpieces, and I definitely got emotional several times throughout. I did think it fell a little bit into the Watchmen trap of saying "Oh, we're R-rated now, so we should do more R-rated things!" I thought the language and the violence bordered on excessive at times, and the one brief moment of nudity didn't really feel necessary or earned. It could be a problem of my expectations, though; I went in expecting it to be revelatory, when instead it was just really good. The moment that tipped me off to lower my expectations was

when he gets the phone video documentary that's immaculately edited with VO and impossible footage. The final video message is already a contrived narrative device that they then made even worse by upping the production values on it.

The more that I sat on it, though, the more that I realized I did really enjoy the movie. I would definitely rewatch it if it came on TV. 7.5/10

• I'm watching along with Giant Bomb's "Film & 40's" podcast, so the last 6 movies I watched were

The Fast and the Furious
    2 Fast 2 Furious
    The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
    Fast & Furious
    Fast Five
    Fast & Furious 6

And I'm not even sorry!

• Miss Hokusai was great. Saw it on the festival circuit last year.

• Global Moderator

@Alex840 Good pick man! Good films to watch :3

• @Lotias Oh I know, these are repeat viewings! :D

• I saw Get Out last night with my friend. I knew nothing about it going in (outside of critical praise) and was really impressed with it on the whole. Just a super tightly scripted and directed movie. It's clear Peele is extremely talented, and I can't wait to see where he goes next. I loved the pacing of the movie; it really felt like there wasn't a single wasted scene. Everything fed back into itself in a really awesome and surprising way. While I still have some complaints regarding some of the revelations near the end, those did little to detract from the movie as a whole. 8/10

• I got to watch an advance screening of Colossal the other night and... it was alright. I love the concept and the middle of the movie builds some steam but it just felt lacking in other areas. The beginning is a bit slow but the third act feels very forced with how a character's personality drastically changes to make them the antagonist. There is a decent payoff to that but... it just left me wanting things a little tighter. With a better director backing this one, it could have truly been something special. Still worth a watch though.

6/10

• Saw two more movies on my flight back to Tokyo

Moana is among the most visually stunning movies I've ever seen. It really captured the beauty of tropical islands, and how lush rainforests give way to beaches with vibrant fringing reefs. I thought the music was solid, with a couple earworms here and there, but the script and lyrics felt a little forced at times. The pacing felt a little off near the end, with a third act that ended up feeling extremely rushed. Overall I thought it was a charming movie and I wouldn't be opposed to watching it again. 7.5/10

My dad insisted that Keeping Up With the Joneses was one of the funniest movies he had seen in recent memory. Despite middling reviews, I decided to give it a shot since he had been raving about it. It... wasn't a good movie. Not offensively bad, just boring. It has such a talented cast of actors, starring Zach Galifianakis, Isla Fischer, Jon Hamm, and Gal Godot, but they're all wasted. The script is remarkably slow, and whatever jokes they do manage to sprinkle in there are fairly low brow and obvious. The physical comedy isn't inventive, the camerawork is static, and it hits just about every cliched beat that comedies from the mid 2000s did. But hey, at least Jon Hamm is charming. 3/10

• Finally got to see The Wailing, it was worthy of the hype. The slow build in atmosphere and the little dashes of humour that endear you to the characters really set up the tension for the second half ot the film. There's a bunch of twists and turns and double or triple bluffs but not in a cheap Shymalan tweeest way. It all just leaves you questioning things and it's one of the first horror films in a while where I was left thinking about it after the film ended

• Saw "Your Name" last night, beautiful movie, and probably one of the best films released this year, Im going to try and catch it again tomorrow before its gone from theaters but there was something about the film that while I cant quite put my finger on it, it touched something in me that haven't quite felt from any recent movie ive seen in years

• Went and saw "Your name" again, I seriously can not find the proper words to describe how much I love this movie. Going to try and catch it again tomorrow, and maybe Tuesday after work. Although I do hate the fact that the closest theatre starting tomorrow is like 45 minutes away.

• @DMCMaster I love the animation, music, and general vibes of that movie but there were a bunch of inconsistencies that kept me from loving it like everyone else does. In particular,

The whole time travel twist didn't make that much sense to me after I started thinking about it for a couple minutes. If they're communicating by leaving notes in each other's smartphones, how did they never see the date? Also, in Japanese schools, they write the date on the board every day. They would have noticed this stuff way sooner is all I'm saying.

Still, it does have a lot of heart, so I get why people like it as much as they do.

• Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Oh man, I felt like home again with these folks when the amazing opening intro started. Couldn't stop smiling for two hours, practically. :) I just love these characters and the way they interact with each other. Gunn's style works super well in all of this. And the music, again! Came home and immediately put The Chain on. Drax has the best lines, so stupid, but I laughed the most with him. :)

• @Sentinel-Beach Dang it I didn't realize that was out. I need to make time to watch it. Glad to hear a good review.

• @Tragosaurus It isn't, lol. May 5th is the release date, I'm thinking he was lucky enough to watch an advanced screening. The hype is intensifying, it's almost here!

• @SabotageTheTruth I was lucky that I live in Europe, I suppose! April 26th was the release day here. It's been this way for some time now with MCU movies. It's kinda weird that you guys get it a week or so later in the US.

• @SabotageTheTruth Well good! Then I have time. I still gotta see The Fate of the Furious, and the ridiculous action nonsense that movie will be.