• I got some catching up to do in this thread. In the last week, I've seen:

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• I recently re-watched the only horror movie that I like. I don't like it because I think it's particularly well made or anything. But all horror frightens me, so it gets the job done. The reason I enjoy it so much, is that if features my favorite Kpop group. Honestly it's a weird concept for a horror movie. A rookie girl group made up of girls who all basically hate each other, want to be popular, so a member steals some anonymous song and they're all cursed.
    Youtube Video

• @TokyoSlim Are movies your job?

• Global Moderator

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter

• @naltmank I volunteer at the Seattle International Film Festival every year, which shows more than 400 films from 80 countries and is attended by over 155k people over 25 days. This is the 43rd year and we have 12 different theater venues this year and I'm helping manage other volunteers at one of them. I also work 40 hours a week at my real job, along with watching a bunch of movies. I probably watch 150ish movies every year in total, and like 30-40 of them happen within a 20 day time span.

• @TokyoSlim damn, son. Damn.

• @naltmank Yeah, I'm not sleeping much this month

• Wonder Woman!

It was really good. It's the best DCEU movie and the best female led superhero movie, which admittedly is not a high bar. Captain Marvel has serious competition though.
    It's certainly not a perfect movie, but it's entertaining and surprisingly hopeful, and man it even has humour in it. Certainly the only character in the DCEU that resembles their comic character in personality and looks.

Definitely a recommended movie for WW fans and comic book fans.

• I watched Bon Cop Bad Cop 2 a few days ago in theatres cause I wanted to support Canadian movies for once. I liked the first one from what I remembered watching it in French class. It's pretty much a duo cop movie but with Canadian humour. Half of the movie is in french and the other half is english but it had english subtitles throughout the entire movie.

Youtube Video

• While not a movie at all, I did have the pleasure of meeting Crispin Glover today. We're screening two of his films today and tomorrow here at my theater and while I didn't have a chance to have a lengthy discussion with him, he seemed like a nice enough fella.

• I just got back from Wonder Woman. It was alright. Definitely better than Suicide Squad (hard to be worse). I'd put it somewhere near Man of Steel but well below Batman V Superman Ultimate cut in terms of the DCEU.

• @SabotageTheTruth That is cool. I always appreciate a little Crispin Glover in my movies.

• Just watched Berserk: The Egg of the King on Netflix. I think this was objectively a really bad movie. The animation was so bad it was jarring, the story oddly pieced together, and the action was overcut to high hell - one of my cardinal sins of animation. All of which is to say that I can't wait to watch part 2 later in the week when I have more time!

• Your Name (Kimi no na wa)

This is the first anime film I've watched in full since Akira 15+ years ago. It was confusing at points, but it was a great film, beautifully animated with 2 main characters that I really cared about, and it built to a really fantastic and beautiful ending.

8/10

• Global Moderator

Arrival

I didn't know much about this film going in, rather than it being about some aliens and it being different from other films i.e Independence Day. I felt kinda confused until we got closer to the end where things gets explained more. I really liked the idea and how it presented the theme of the film, but my company said it was a little "meh".

• I have an east coast friend and we simultaneously watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes together while chatting on messenger. James Franco is 95% responsible for ending humanity.

• Spider-Man: Homecoming

A really cool Spidey movie! Refreshing in a way. It had its own feeling, and I appreaciate that the stakes remained at the ground level. Or at least more so when compared to many other MCU films. It's supposed to be this way with Spidey, so thank you!

Peter is good, I like him both on and off suit. His best friend Ned was really a blast, what a fun dude. :) Keaton was good as Toomes, and I especially liked him in that Vulture suit. Such a cool-looking thing that was. There was this immediate sense of danger whenever those huge mechanical wings appeared. I thought that (fight) scenes between him and Spider-Man worked really well, a good pairing.

And what a Spidey movie needs is him rescuing people, and I got that. That's the core of the character, putting his own life at risk to save innocent bystanders and fellow people. A few really big scenes around those themes which I really liked and appreciated.

The connections to the MCU were there, but they where handled in a neat way. This was clearly Spider-Man's own thing and worked really well in that regard, because the ties to the larger universe were picked from the outskirts of that world, so to speak. Nothing too important concerning the big picture, but still neatly chosen to have an impact from the previous happenings we've seen through the years. And a few cool short easter egg-y peeks into the future as well. :)

So a good movie, then. It was refreshing to see everyone at Peter's schoold world so young and often different from the classic interpretation we've come to know through the years. And this is not an origin story! We managed to avoid having watch it the third time in a row! Of course that was already pretty clear after Civil War etc., but it's just great that Peter's already in action in this one when it starts. This is a fine place to be now, a good thing to continue with. MCU <3

• Binged Twin Peaks seasons 1 and 2 last week.

Just watched the movie : Fire walk with me

“I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.”

• I happened to catch the 4k restoration of Mulholland Drive last night and I was honestly surprised by how little I truly remembered about the film but considering the way it was made, I almost feel like that is the intention. A lot of people have suggested not to over-analyze the film and just let it wash over you, like some kind of supernatural wave filled with dread and tension. There's a lot I love about the movie but it's more based on feel rather than enjoying a particular plot point as is the case with a lot of cinema. I'd still say Eraserhead is my favorite Lynch outing but if there's a local theater playing that 4k restoration, check it out!