Last movie you watched

• Global Moderator

@tokeeffe9 I really feel like I need to go and see this film! I Wrights other films, so this should be right up my alley! just a shame that no-one close seem to be willing to go and see it with me!

• I just finished Cry Wilderness. Now that might seemingly be an extremely random pick, but it's actually the second episode of the newest Mystery Science Theater 3000 season. I was pretty worried how the season would turn out since it's been 18 years since the last official episode and this features a brand new cast but somehow... it's just as brilliant as the original show. If anything, I'm appreciating it even more since I "get" a lot more of the references. They've somehow captured the goofy vibe of the original while still feeling fresh and new.

• I saw Baby Driver a couple weeks back.

Really enjoyed it, didn't know anything about it going in, actually thought it was going to be a musical as the main character sings and dances for quite a while after the intro but it calms down a bit after that.

The music is fantastic throughout, the entire film is pretty much based, charged and set around music tracks from various decades and its very well done how it blends into the action happening in the film.

If you like car chases and heist movies you'll like this, really didn't expect it but the whole film is pretty much one big car chase interspersed with exposition, the chase scenes are some of the best I've seen.

It's an amalgamation of Drive, Fast and Furious, Blues Brothers and Thelma and Louise really.

An incredibly unique film that'll live long in the memory.

And Spider-Man Homecoming last week., absolutely loved it.

It just felt so fresh next to the other films, it was great not to see the origin story all over again and to actually see Peter in High School and all then drama that goes along with it, not just a cursory look.

I thought Michael Keaton was superb as Vulture, I mean he's an oscar-award winning actor so he was always going to be a great choice but he still managed to exceed my expectations, one of the best portrayals of a villain in a Superhero film in my opinion.

Downey Jr. Was amazing as always as Tony Stark and the film is just brimming with goofy high-school humour along the way which fits the vibe and tone of the film to a tee.

• Arrival

It was a really cool, smart film. I thought Amy Adams was brilliant, she really nailed being scared as fuck at the beginning while maintaining her intelligence. The direction was top quality too. I loved the tone of the film, and the score, and how Villeneuve showed great restraint in telling the story.

• Dunno if we're counting Netflix bingeing, but I watched all of Glow yesterday. Thought it was great.

• Today's RoboCop's 30th anniversary! Basically one of my top 10 favourites ever.

alt text

• No Country For Old Men. Excellent, atmospheric thriller most of the way through, but the ending jarringly dissolves into a bunch of psychobabble.

• @Oscillator I actually watched that for the first time recently too. That's Cormac McCarthy for you!

• The Hateful Eight. Good stuff, Sam Jackson is a bamf as always.

• After watching a story mode playthrough of Injustice 1 and being on a bit of a Justice League/DC high I decided to finally watch the Green Lantern film on Amazon.

I have heard horrendous things about this film for years so I went in with 0 expectations, and you know what, I actually quite enjoyed it. It wasn't good by any means, but it was enjoyable enough, I quite like Ryan Reynolds and thought he was good in it, it was just a very easy to watch popcorn flick really.

I mean it has major issues, the CGI mask, what the fuck were they thinking? And how Hal goes from getting beaten up by his trainer to defeating a humungous god-like villain in the space of half an hour of film time, I mean it is pretty ridiculous. It's so short as well for a Superhero film it makes me think they cut TONS of footage in the edit for this movie.

I liked the origin story though, I thought that was handled well, I don't know much about Green Lantern at all (apart from what I saw in Injustice 1) so it was cool to see how Hal becomes Green Lantern, I just wish they'd of focused on the human villain of the film and kept it a very city-level issue GL has to deal with at the end instead of a 'the fate of the world is at stake!' moment despite him only being GL for such a ridiculously short about of time.

But yeah, I quite liked it.

• Hi, my name is Sinestro. But despite my name, which is clearly meant to evoke the word "sinister", I'm 100% a good guy and will totally never ever betray you!

My girlfriend Cruella and her sister Evil-Lyn will totally vouch for me!

• I just saw The Little Hours, which was f'ing hilarious.

Youtube Video

• @DisturbedSwan said in Last movie you watched:

I mean it has major issues, the CGI mask, what the fuck were they thinking?

I've never seen the movie but when I read this I just thought, no... they couldn't have. I went to youtube to find a clip oh my lanta that is horrible! How hard would it be to have him wear a real mask? It looks so bad!

• @Tragosaurus Yeah, it really is baffling. Like, surely it must've cost them a shit-ton more to CGI his face rather them get the costume designers to build a mask for him to wear? It's just fucking bananas.

Fingers crossed they'll of learnt their lesson when the reboot comes out in 2020.

• Saw War for the Planet of the Apes yesterday. Pretty spectacular movie overall, although I think the ending was a bit awkward. Some parts were cinematically masterful in how they were shot and done, and you forget you're watching a movie about apes and not of flesh and blood humans.

Gotta say though, as much as I want to love woody harrelson, he is the embodiment of what I would call a 'decent' actor. He's not bad, but it's like he's incapable of doing anything amazing. He has a very 1-dimensional demeanor.

But dudes, Andy Serkis is a man who needs to win an oscar.

• Saw Valerian. Visuals were impressive, creature design was unique, Rihanna was a show stealer and had easily the most interesting character in the film, but the dialogue was abysmal, Dane DeHaan and Cara Delvigne had exactly 0 chemistry, both of their characters were so clumsily crafted, 1 note, and downright unlikeable that it destroyed all the good parts of the movie. The first two scenes of the movie before they are introduced are probably the best parts of the film. 4/10

• Harakiri (1962)

The best non-Kurosawa Japanese movie I've seen. Top-notch production values, camera work, and fight choreography. Intense acting. A story that keeps your interest all the way through. And what a soundtrack. It's got it all.

• @DisturbedSwan I own this movie on dvd. It's terrible sure, but it's sorta fun to watch. It helps that I love Ryan Reynolds and Mark Strong, and Kilowog was in it!
    The dvd was like 3$, which is why I own Superman Returns too. Definitely worth the money!

• @logic__error Not a major fan of Luc Besson, so I figured that would be the case. The Fifth Element is criminally overhyped. I just give the strangest looks to people when they say they enjoy that movie.

• @SabotageTheTruth Oh good, there's something else you're are wrong about other then liking the P5 cast more than P4. 😊

I will respectfully disagree. Fifth Element is a fun movie, with some creative world building and fun performances. I don't think it's the best movie ever, but it's a unique scifi movie, which deserves it's hype, if for nothing else how different it feels from other scifi movies.

Sad to see Valerian isn't amazing, because I know this was Lucky Besson's passion project.