Last movie you watched

• @Tragosaurus Yeah, it really is baffling. Like, surely it must've cost them a shit-ton more to CGI his face rather them get the costume designers to build a mask for him to wear? It's just fucking bananas.

Fingers crossed they'll of learnt their lesson when the reboot comes out in 2020.

• Saw War for the Planet of the Apes yesterday. Pretty spectacular movie overall, although I think the ending was a bit awkward. Some parts were cinematically masterful in how they were shot and done, and you forget you're watching a movie about apes and not of flesh and blood humans.

Gotta say though, as much as I want to love woody harrelson, he is the embodiment of what I would call a 'decent' actor. He's not bad, but it's like he's incapable of doing anything amazing. He has a very 1-dimensional demeanor.

But dudes, Andy Serkis is a man who needs to win an oscar.

• Saw Valerian. Visuals were impressive, creature design was unique, Rihanna was a show stealer and had easily the most interesting character in the film, but the dialogue was abysmal, Dane DeHaan and Cara Delvigne had exactly 0 chemistry, both of their characters were so clumsily crafted, 1 note, and downright unlikeable that it destroyed all the good parts of the movie. The first two scenes of the movie before they are introduced are probably the best parts of the film. 4/10

• Harakiri (1962)

The best non-Kurosawa Japanese movie I've seen. Top-notch production values, camera work, and fight choreography. Intense acting. A story that keeps your interest all the way through. And what a soundtrack. It's got it all.

• @DisturbedSwan I own this movie on dvd. It's terrible sure, but it's sorta fun to watch. It helps that I love Ryan Reynolds and Mark Strong, and Kilowog was in it!
    The dvd was like 3$, which is why I own Superman Returns too. Definitely worth the money!

• @logic__error Not a major fan of Luc Besson, so I figured that would be the case. The Fifth Element is criminally overhyped. I just give the strangest looks to people when they say they enjoy that movie.

• @SabotageTheTruth Oh good, there's something else you're are wrong about other then liking the P5 cast more than P4. 😊

I will respectfully disagree. Fifth Element is a fun movie, with some creative world building and fun performances. I don't think it's the best movie ever, but it's a unique scifi movie, which deserves it's hype, if for nothing else how different it feels from other scifi movies.

Sad to see Valerian isn't amazing, because I know this was Lucky Besson's passion project.

• @Inustar Spoiler: I am wrong often. This is just the beginning of me letting you down, haha.

Guys. I saw Eraserhead in theaters last night. THAT SOUND DESIGN! I never got to appreciate it before since I only ever watched it on an old tube TV but ugh, it crawls into your brain and scoops out any remnants of your sanity. There's just an industrial feel to every scene, building tension even when you're not aware of it. Three months ago, my opinion on David Lynch was that he was a unique director with some strange movies. After months of watching and re-watching his films, I'd put him on the list of my favorite directors and perhaps even be hyperbolic and call him a visionary.

Watching Baby Driver tonight and The Little Hours tomorrow, whee.

• Just saw Dunkirk.. I thought it was really good. One of the best war movies in a long time

• @Inustar Yeah I enjoyed it, despite it being pretty damn goofy throughout. Watching that and playing Injustice 2 has made me want to learn/read more of DC as my knowledge is pretty lacking compared to the Marvel side of things.

• My birthday is the only day of the year I can convince my friends and family to watch anime with me, so this year I had them all watch Princess Mononoke. It was my first time seeing the film as well and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

• Today i watched:
    Youtube Video

I didn't know anything about this movie going in, and ended up really liking it. Spectacularly beautifully shot movie.

and

Youtube Video

This was a long doc, but it's a complex story and they covered a lot of angles and details that lesser docs may have glossed over or overlooked.

• @michemagius I still remember seeing it for the first time. I was part of a pre-release screening meant to gauge public reaction. I think it was the first one they brought over with the full on dubbing and etc. and it was electric in there afterwards. I had only seen (subbed) Totoro and Pom Poko previously, and I walked out the the theater and right up to the people taking down quotes to share with the studio and I was like "If you guys don't think you're sitting on a gold mine here - you've got your heads up your asses"

Strangely enough, my quote never made it onto any promotional materials, but they seem to have done pretty well bringing the Ghibli films to the US, so I think they heard me.

• Just so we're keepin track, there are 52 weeks in a year, this is the 29th week of 2017.
    I have now been to see 52 movies this year.

Dunkirk in 70mm is tomorrow!

• I guess I'm a weirdo because I didn't love Baby Driver like the rest of the world. That being said, I did enjoy it and quite a few scenes were really well crafted, especially when the music played an integral role to what was happening on screen. I just had some issues with character motivations and the overall plot wasn't anything too special. For whatever reason, Edgar Wright has never elevated himself beyond a solid 7/8 range in my eyes and while this is probably his 'best' film, it still didn't leave the impact a film like Drive did. I'd still recommend checking it out if you're curious but as far as it being one of the best films of the year? Ehhh... dunno if I could back that statement.

• @SabotageTheTruth Agreed on Baby Driver. I think it is an exceptionally crafted movie but the plot is nothing special. I enjoyed it a lot but didn't really care what happened to any of the characters. Going in I didn't expect much from it though. I generally like Edgar Wright's films for the most part and honestly if he wasn't the director I probably wouldn't have made the effort to see Baby Driver when I did.

@Inustar One thing I will say about Valerian is that the fact that it is sourced from a comic series from the 1950's is extremely apparent in the character dialogue and relationships. There are a lot of parallels between the characters in The Fifth Element and Valerian. The main male characters are cut from the same cloth, but while that kind of machismo attitude worked 20 years ago with an actor like Willis, it is not a good fit for DeHaan. That put me off a great deal. The A.V. Club gave it a B- and they are probably being more fair than me in their assessment. I also saw the movie with 3 other people and I had the least favorable opinion of the film but we all have very different opinions ranging from Strong Dislike to Strong Like. So if you think you'll enjoy it don't let my critique dissuade you!

• Scott Pilgrim is clearly the best Edgar Wright movie.

• @SabotageTheTruth Out of all the movies I've seen, david lynch gives by far the most accurate depiction of what a dream is actually like. Just the way you see things which you think may represent some kind of psychological symbolism but have a hard time grasping the exact connection to it, the way he skips and fades out scenes as though the main character is forgetting random bits of what's going on, well, it's fascinating how he does it.

If you like the sort of 'deleria horror' element he''s into, you should look up some of his shorts. They're soooo terrifying and eerie.

• Global Moderator

@TokyoSlim I love Wright and I loved Scott Pilgrim but I'd honestly find it tough to say clearly his best.

Right now, I think Hot Fuzz is my favourite Wright movie. But they're so close for me.

• @tokeeffe9 I'm sorry, but the international Edgar Wright Film Wranking Commission has spoken and Hot Fuzz is his third best film. It's canon, and it's not something I just 100% made up to justify my own opinion at ALL.