Last movie you watched

• Porco Rosso is one of my favorite of the "lesser known" Miyazaki films.

• There are only 2 Ghibli movies I've seen that I didn't really get into. Arietty and Pom Poco...and maybe Ponyo, but it's too gorgeous to dislike.

Oh...and I guess the black sheep of the bunch, Earthsea, but Teru's Song is beautiful.

• @TokyoSlim Laputa is my favorite, and I would also add Totoro to the required viewing list. I think Howl's is a little overrated, since the story doesn't really have a structure, but the animation and soundtrack are positively ace.

• @SabotageTheTruth you better make "one of these days" soon. Those movies are pretty much life changing, at least imo.
    Howl's Moving Castle is my fave, but it's because I unabashedly adore romantic movies, and that might be his most straightforward one. That being said I think Spirited Away is a must watch, so much creativity in there. Princess Mononoke, My Neighbour ToToro and Kiki's Delivery Service need to be seen as well.

Edit: I want to also suggest The Cat Returns. It's not a Miyazaki movie, but it is Studio Ghibli and it's beautiful and whimsical and has cats! Also a fun spin off movie from another Ghibli one, Whisper of the Heart.

• @Inustar If it wasn't October, maybe I'd make it happen this month.

I've never seen any of the Friday the 13th films, so I decided I'm watching every last one this month. I wanna make Huber proud.

• @SabotageTheTruth That's a lot of Friday the 13th...

• @TokyoSlim Just 12 films! Sounds like a breezy weekend to me.

I fully expect the quality to deteriorate real quick.

• Rewatched The Lion King for the first time in 10-15 years. Really interesting new perspective to see the movie with a little more life experience.
    alt text

• Global Moderator

Watched Bladerunner last night... Perfect when you are having a fever as well, gave me some really... odd dreams. The film itself was magical and it had an awesome atmosphere which is unlike much else. Really questions what it means to be human and it touched me.

Kinda want to watch it again now.

• Finally got around to seeing Blade Runner 2049 last night. I avoid trailers like the plague these days, so the only details I knew going in was that Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling were in it. I had pretty high expectations given this is Villeneuve, but some major concerns as well because it didn't seem like a film that needed a follow-up.

I was completely blown away. This is easily one of the best sequels ever made. It adds so much to the original. I always like to re-watch movies before giving them a 10...but I'm pretty fucking sure this is a 10/10 for me. I need to see it again before it leaves the cinema.

• Having watched Blade Runner and now 2049 over the last few days, they are really an incredible pairing. I think 2049 took the most important elements of the original but didn't tread the same ground. The cinematography was absolutely haunting in some scenes, and it was such a quiet film too, it was very different from anything I've seen recently. Star Wars has some stiff competition now for my favourite film of this season!

• The Snowman is a mess. Not like you needed me to tell you that though. It's suprisingly poorly made, considering the talent involved. Norway looks beautiful though.

• I finally watched Logan on a flight yesterday, it was very good, though honestly I wasn't wowed as I was hoping since many of my friends hold the movie very highly, and I simply wasn't that moved by it at the end of the day.

• @TokyoSlim I had just recently read the book when the trailer came out and I was surprised by how... off the trailer seemed from the source material. Not sure if you read the book or not, but despite my love of Fassbender this looks like a hard pass until I can rent or stream it.

• @Inustar From what I heard, the movie is unfinished. They for some reason didn't film like 15% of the script, and just went ahead and released it. I don't know if it would have been better or worse if it was done, because what's there is just so lazy. The editing is laughable. It's sad because there's a LOT of talent involved. Fassbender, Charlotte Gainsbourg, JK Simmons, Toby Jones, Chloe Sevigny, and a weirdly overdubbed and ridiculously coiffed Val Kilmer.

Directed by the guy who did Let the Right One In and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Produced by Martin Scorcese and edited by Scorcese's favorite Oscar winning editor Thelma Schoonmaker.

This thing must have run into some sort of serious issue. I've seen movies shelved indefinitely for being this... meh. Making good movies is hard. This one didn't work.

I didn't really notice the score, but I think it was mostly inoffensive other than the repeated use of a song that makes me laugh whenever I hear it - and it's supposed to be unsettling and creepy, I think?

It's kind of gory, and it's cinematography is good and it makes me want to go to Norway. Those are the two redeeming things about the movie

• I also watched The Babysitter on Netflix, and I can heartily recommend it. Good old school preteen slasher/thriller. With great writing and comedy.

alt text

• @TokyoSlim Yeah, I was super interested in it because of the cast and director, but that trailer killed it for me. I need to find a picture of Val Kilmer in this though.
    I hope to hear more information about what went wrong, since I always find this stuff fascinating. Hollywood could bear to be more open about stuff, even though I doubt it will happen.

• @Macka said in Last movie you watched:

Finally got around to seeing Blade Runner 2049 last night. I avoid trailers like the plague these days, so the only details I knew going in was that Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling were in it. I had pretty high expectations given this is Villeneuve, but some major concerns as well because it didn't seem like a film that needed a follow-up.

I was completely blown away. This is easily one of the best sequels ever made. It adds so much to the original. I always like to re-watch movies before giving them a 10...but I'm pretty fucking sure this is a 10/10 for me. I need to see it again before it leaves the cinema.

Same here, it really lived up to the hype I had going in when I finally got to see it last week and it impressed the hell out of me.

Also, it's really worth seeing on the big screen to take it all in and really get immersed in the atmosphere.

• I just watched 1922 on Netflix. I didn't know anything about it going into it other than my girlfriend said it was based on something by Stephen King. I thought it was really good but the first 25 minutes seriously drag on forever. I get that they want to set up that the main character lives a slow-paced life on a farm but they could've done so much more with it to make it feel snappier.

Once things start happening though, it gets pretty good and feels fairly consistent until the end. There were some parts that were genuinely creepy but not in a typical horror movie type of creepy. It was an enjoyable watch, especially for the festive Halloween season.

• Cube.

So good.

And ironic, considering me.