Last movie you watched

• @tokyoslim Yeah, I had a feeling a lot of liberties were taken in telling the story. We actually had Ron Stallworth here a few weeks back for a Q&A before the film (I wasn't able to attend unfortunately) and apparently, there were some people that heckled him... making me feel like there had to be a reason behind that.

• @sabotagethetruth that being said, Inside Man is a good Spike Lee movie (and heist flick). Do The Right Thing is also pretty good.

Skip his uninspired adaptation of Oldboy and just watch the original Korean one unless you really have an issue with subtitles.

• @tokyoslim I love the Korean Oldboy and have no plans of watching his take on it, haha.

• Both of Spike Lee's remakes are pretty bad. He also made Da Sweet Blood of Jesus, which is a pretty lame remake of a very unique and interesting vampire film from the 70's called Ganja & Hess. If you like the satirical/outrageous elements of BlacKkKlansman, I'd recommend Bamboozled and Chi-Raq which are even stranger, messier films.

• @ringedwithtile I totally forgot about that second remake. Lol

• Watched Crazy Rich Asians, The Meg, and Sorry to Bother You today.

• I just watched The Tale, starring Laura Dern on HBO. I've never had a more visceral response to a film. There were multiple moments that made me feel physically ill, which is absolutely the point. I think it's so important that everybody watches this movie if they can, but because of the disturbing subject matter you should know what you're in for before you watch the movie. If, for some reason, you just want to go in blind (which I DO NOT suggest), I'll place the next part under a spoiler tag:

the film is about the writer/director uncovering and processing the fact that she was sexually abused by her coach as a child. It contains explicit depictions of this abuse, as well as the repercussions of it. It is by far the most nuanced approach to the topic of sexual abuse that I have ever seen, largely because it is a memoir. It makes you realize how these predators "succeed," and that the face of evil is not the man with the pencil moustache in the wire-rimmed glasses. It's so, so much worse than that.

• I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey in IMAX over the weekend. It was a life changing experience

Also, I was recently introduced to using letterboxd.com to log the films I watch. Anyone on here use it? I'll give you a follow

• @faaip said in Last movie you watched:

Also, I was recently introduced to using letterboxd.com to log the films I watch. Anyone on here use it? I'll give you a follow

I do!

• Raw, French movie regarding a vegetarian girl turning basically into a cannibal.

I could not finish the thing, it`s seriously disturbing.

• @axel Nice! Gave you a follow!

• I recently got into Anime in April. After watching a few shows I decided to go through some popular anime movies in a few days.

I watched: My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, Akira, and The Boy and the Beast.

I have to say, the Boy and The Beast is great if anyone wants a mature anime movie, that still has a bit of "Ghibli Charm"

• @cptcobblepot said in Last movie you watched:

I have to say, the Boy and The Beast is great if anyone wants a mature anime movie, that still has a bit of "Ghibli Charm"

You should check out Hosoda's stuff, Summer Wars, which is my favorite of his, and also The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Wolf Children.

• @tokyoslim Okay, I will definitely do that! I have been wanting to watch Wolf Children for a while, just haven't gotten around to it. I will add those to my list.

• @cptcobblepot I'm not a big anime guy, but I love Ghibli. Kiki's Delivery Service is super underrated in my opinion.. my second favorite behind Princess Mononoke I think

• @faaip That is so funny you mentioned Kiki as your favorite! I just watched Kikis Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky today.

My wife and I absolutely loved the charm and simpleness of Kikis Delivery Service! I think the other Ghibli movies can be more favored because of the action/adventure aspect and deeper plots. But, Kikis really clicked with me.

• @cptcobblepot Yes! I love how simple it is overall but how subtle details really nail the feeling of leaving and trying to make it on your own for the first time.

For some reason I had it on vhs as a kid and remember finding it kind of boring but also being fascinated by it. It just has a totally different rhythm compared other kids movies that were out then.. there's nothing flashy about it at all. Also, I love Jiji like more than I can describe hahaha

@TokyoSlim I feel like I've been hearing about Hosoda and his films a lot lately. I'm taking that as a sign and adding them to my list hehe

• @cptcobblepot Castle in the Sky is my personal favorite, since it's the one I grew up watching the most (I apparently used to watch that, Nausicaa, and old Atom Boy/Leo VHSes on repeat when I was like 2 years old). The music in that movie is otherworldly, but I also recognize it's among Miyazaki's more conventional movies in terms of story. still, it's just so fun to watch.

• @naltmank It sounds like Castle in the Sky is a favorite among many Ghibli fans. I think that the whole movie being an adventure and just two kids finding their way to this amazing city was fun for me. The characters they meet along the way kept me invested in the story. Nausicaa looks interesting to me. It has a weird concept, but I am sure I will enjoy it!

Once I finish all of Miyazakis Ghibli films, I will have a favorite I'm sure.

• I'm not that huge into watching movies personally, and while I loved the first two Spider-Man movies as a kid I've never seen The Amazing Spider-Man or its sequel, nevermind any of the MCU movies. That said I just finished watching Spider-Man: Homecoming and had a blast. Great movie with a lot of great moments. The Vulture was easily my favorite character, I'm always down for a villain that isn't just one-note "blarrgh I'm evil" like that. If I had any complaints it'd be that the movie felt almost too jokey at times, but I think the fact that the main cast was a bunch of high schoolers helped offset that feeling so it didn't bother me too much; I just don't think I'd be able to get behind that tone in general is all. I'm planning to pick up the Spider-Man game later today and this was the perfect mood setter.