Last movie you watched

• Latter-Day Glory

One of the people I went to HS with is one of the main guys in this doc
    https://vimeo.com/199726000

• First Man: Aside from the actual nail biting and space missions, I thought this was kind of slow paced and boring. Yeah, I get it. Armstrong is stoic and doesn't talk about or express his feelings. More Buzz Aldrin then! That being said, the space missions and training and such were great. This seems like a strange thing for Damien Chazelle to have directed. 3.5/5

Bad Times at the El Royale: The setup is good, actors are likable. Just kinda feel like I've seen a LOT of cult leaders in movies lately, and as much as I like Hemsworth - he's not really given enough to work with to make him believably charismatic or threatening. Also gonna give this a 3.5/5

• Cronos

Like any respectable human being, I love me some Guillermo del Toro and despite seeing most of his work, I've missed a lot of his earlier stuff. While I wouldn't rank this as my favorite from him, it's certainly insane how well-made this is considering it is his first full film. Interesting story, some really unique shots (especially inside that device!), and solid performances all around.

• After the storm

I think @TokyoSlim mentioned he saw this one last year, and I finally got around to it after hearing my mom rave about Shoplifters when she saw it a couple months back. We both typically find Japanese acting to be overwrought, but she insisted that this director knew how to get more natural performances out of his actors. Very happy I listened. This movie is by no means perfect, with a meandering second act that I think could have been trimmed almost entirely, but I still found the whole movie to be incredibly affecting. The performances are solid all around, but the grandmother damn near made me sob. There's a scene where she's showing Shingo some of his father's old stuff, and you can see the tears just barely welling up in her eyes. She doesn't cry, though, and the scene ends as she smiles through her pain. The movie continually brings you up to the edge of the catharsis you're hoping you'll get, but never quite gets you there because life doesn't always give you that satisfaction. Sometimes things go the way they aren't supposed to go, and even though there are moments of joy scattered in with the shit, you just have to accept the mediocrity of it all and realize that going for the glory isn't always the best call. Sometimes you have to draw the walk to win in the end. B+

• @naltmank Yep, met Director Kore-Eda san on one of his rare excursions outside of Japan last year at a screening for this. Kirin Kiki, who played the Grandma really was the showstopper, though I love how scuzzy Hiroshi Abe is, while still remaining charming. I believe she's also the grandmother in Shoplifters. I think she died this year though.

• @tokyoslim Dang, you're right. Just a about a month ago. I'll be sure to catch her in shoplifters when it makes its way over here next month.

• Halloween... Spent an hour and a half setting up something epic and then failed to deliver. 2.5/5

• Creepshow

Inspired by Doug Walker/Nostalgia Critic naming it his favorite Stephen King film, I figured I'd dive right in. In hindsight, it's strange to even call this a Stephen King film since he only wrote two of the five stories but he does give a fun performance. Since it's an anthology type of movie, it's not all wonderful - the first two stories actually felt pretty bland to me. Everything else was entertaining, especially The Crate. One of my favorite things was just people screaming into the camera with a strong colored light behind them (usually red or blue), it really helped give off that comic book vibe they were trying to emulate. I had a good enough time going through the stories, although I've heard the second and third film aren't worth watching.

• Videodrome

Since I've been in a Cronenberg kick lately and my theater was showing it, I decided to watch some body horror in an auditorium. About six years ago, someone put this on at a party so I remembered some of the imagery but obviously wasn't able to pay much attention. What can I say, this movie is strange as hell, has some themes that feel even more relevant today, and has one of the best lines ever.

Long live the new flesh.

• Daredevil Season 3:

DD is my favorite comic book hero, and Born Again is my favorite DD story. I knew when I first heard they were adapting it to fit into the framework of Season 3, that it would fail to live up to the story, and it does fail in the ways that I thought it would. Born Again allows Matt Murdock to completely devolve into madness and be utterly broken and then to find his way back. It's darker and more brutal than the show could ever be. It's characters that are central to much of the story no longer exist in the show's universe. The show isn't Born Again.

That being said, I enjoyed it. It uses some of the familiar setups, it uses parts of Born Again to add depth to characters that need depth. It's got new characters, and reimagines some old ones. It does a good job of forcing DD to the brink of despair and madness, though I don't think they were ok with going beyond. Some of the material in Born Again has already been mined by the show. But overall it worked, a good season. Might have been a touch long, but that's common for nearly every Netflix show. It didn't seem THAT bloated. Mostly because of the fantastic Vincent D'Onofrio performance, and newcomer Jay Ali as FBI Special Agent Ray Nadeem (who's hair is my favorite new thing in season 3). This season really comes down to "it's easier to fall into corruption than to climb out" and how hard it is to choose the lesser of two evils without compromising your morals.

Overall, it's a solid 4 out of 5 for me.

• @tokyoslim I really liked S3 as well, it was the most coherent of the three in my opinion. In addition what you said I feel that Charlie Cox deserves much praise as well. That's often forgotten. He's easily the best out of the four (five) Netflix heroes, damn good in that role. There's that calmness in him, but also the rage and desperation we saw a few times. There's the faith aspect too, I really liked his conversations with both Sister Maggie and Father Lantom. And the fact that he pulls off all this while playing blind so convincingly is really something. And let's not forget the physical aspects, meaning all the fights etc.

By the way, episode 4. I believe it was 11 minutes, I later read, that one scene that was shot using only one camera. Man, that was intense! They pulled it off incredibly well. All the fighting and beatdowns. Really something.

And about the other villain, not Fisk:

Holy shit, but did they make just throwing things look so damn dangerous and cool or what! Poindexter was super lethal as Bullseye, it almost felt wrong to feel so hyped seeing him throw shit with that accuracy and intention to kill. So many times I shouted out loud something as a reaction. Good thing too that he survived in the end. (It was a brutal slam into the fireplace wall.)

• @sentinel-beach said in Last movie you watched:

I feel that Charlie Cox deserves much praise as well. That's often forgotten. He's easily the best out of the four (five) Netflix heroes, damn good in that role. There's that calmness in him, but also the rage and desperation we saw a few times. There's the faith aspect too, I really liked his conversations with both Sister Maggie and Father Lantom. And the fact that he pulls off all this while playing blind so convincingly is really something. And let's not forget the physical aspects, meaning all the fights etc.

Yeah, I always forget he's British too. He does a great job!

Bullseye's throwing and fighting prowess was so great in the show! In the comics, they give him a adamantium skeletal reinforcement similar to Wolverine's which makes it even harder for DD to stop him in the future. They are using some other kind of metal in the show, but I assume that it's basically going to be impossible to break his bones in the future.

• Green Book
    Youtube Video

Green Book slides into the top 5 of my favorite movies of 2018. Mahershala Ali is outstanding and this should probably earn him another Oscar nod. (He won best supporting last year for Moonlight) Viggo Mortensen is brilliant as always. Directed with a lighter than expected touch by Peter Farrelly ( one half of "The Farrelly Brothers") This isn't a comedy, but it's funny. It's not a social statement, but it's socially aware. This is a road trip, buddy film, fish out of water, "spirit of Christmas", period piece that deftly weaves in and out of scenes that made me smile, made me clench my fists, and made my heart ache. This movie handled differently could have been preachy, or wooden, or exploitative. I think all these pitfalls were avoided or overcome. It's not the deepest film in the world - ultimately it's a film based on the true story of the friendship between two men from different worlds. You've all seen these films before. It's the journey and not the destination. 4.5/5 stars

I think this is supposed to open at Thanksgiving. Keep your eyes out.

• @tokyoslim Love the trailer for it, glad to hear it's worth a watch!

• Grabbed tickets for an Imax showing of First Man on saturday and Spirited Away on sunday.. woot!

• You've seen Spirited Away before, right?

• @tokyoslim Yes sir! Only once though.. I'm excited to see it again on a big screen

• @tokyoslim said in Last movie you watched:

Halloween... Spent an hour and a half setting up something epic and then failed to deliver. 2.5/5

Is that the new one? I'm dying to see it.

• I watched Circle (2015). It was atrocious to be honest. Not only was the acting and writing poor but the way in which they shoehorned just about every well known prejudice into its 90 minutes really hurt its integrity. Don't watch.

• @sheria yep. Some things about the writing really bugged me, but many people didn't seem to mind it.