Last movie you watched

• Finished Castlevania Season 2 last night. Slow burn first few episodes, as pointed out in the Spoiler Mode, more political intrigue than I was expecting in an animated show ostensibly about killing Dracula. The action sequences and gore are very satisfying when the season does get rolling. Lets go Season 3.

3.5/5 stars

• Bohemian Rhapsody. Queen maaaaay be my favorite band of all time. Generally that means I know too much history and rumor to have fully suspended my belief. I'd like to see the movie that Sasha Baron Cohen wanted to do. While Remi Malek is great in this, it takes a minute to get used to his face. While Freddie's teeth were prominent, they really put the focus on them a lot in this film, and occasionally it looks like the teeth may be causing Malek problems.

That being said, it's unfair to score this film based on what I wish it was.

I'm giving it another half a star for

dressing up Mike Meyers as a record exec that tells Queen that kids are never going to head bang to Bohemian Rhapsody in their cars.

3.5 / 5

• A Wrinkle in Time

Good kids movie. Mediocre adult movie. It's been like 30 years since I read the source material, but going by memory, it seems like the book has been condensed a LOT.
    Colorful visuals, very simple uplifting narrative. quick-ish pacing. an 8 year old me would really dig this movie. 38 year old me is giving it 2.5/5 though

• Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey

To be fair, I watched both films as a double header but I don't have as much to say about Excellent Adventure; it's excellent and I've loved it ever since the first time I saw it. Bogus Journey I had only heard about until now and it feels like a fever dream almost. As if time travel wasn't enough, now we've got the subject matter of death, the afterlife, aliens, and robots to contend with. I didn't love it and I didn't hate it, it just felt like a sequel where very few ideas were cut and it can feel like a bit much at times, especially since they re-use a decent number of jokes from the first film. Since a third is essentially confirmed at this point, I'm curious what direction the series will go in. I'm not sure how you get more insane than this one but I wouldn't mind them going back to something a little less complex, like the original.

• watched Dirty Harry for the first time

• Finally got around to watching Solo. Some of the worst writing I've seen in a very long time, although I've been pretty selective with movies recently so I'm sure there's worse out there. Occasionally entertaining but ultimately forgettable. C-

• Used PSVR to watch Wheels On Meals. Picture quality didn't matter much because it was a dvd and I could just lie down. Of course it can be a bit tiresome to your eyes but luckily it's not a long movie. Choreography is still excellent and it's a shame the trio didn't make more movies together than just a few. 4/5

• Wind River
    I'm somewhat conflicted on this movie. There were moments that were transcendent, but then there were times where the film was almost comically sad. It reminded me of The Sweet Hereafter in that sense - a great movie, but one that gets occasionally bogged down in its own misery. The performances were uniformly solid, with Renner in particular showcasing his range. My biggest criticism with the film is not really with the film, but it's still something I couldn't shake the whole time I was watching it: for how much the film is about highlighting the Native American experience and the unique difficulties their communities face, it's really frustrating to me that the lead is a white male. There was a moment near the end where Renner talks about his "family's people," and how much they've lost. I couldn't help but think that it would've been 10x more powerful coming from a Native American's mouth. Not a fair criticism, though, so I won't dock the film for it on the whole. B+

• The Night Comes For Us - The plot is pretty paper-thin but the action is top notch and it goes off the rails pretty early on. Really brutal and really gory.. lots of fun

• Suspiria (2018)

Thom Yorke does an excellent job with the soundtrack on this one, everything else is just.... bad? Maybe there's some layers I didn't understand here but it all just felt overly pretentious and I'm someone that loves Wes Anderson. A lot of the acting was super stiff, it follows around some characters that don't matter, and even though the conclusion is pretty off the wall, it just never feels earned. Hereditary came out earlier in the year and is similar in pace but it actually explores some interesting concepts and has some incredible acting holding it up. Hard pass.

• Overlord: Pretty great, fun, intense action. Would watch again 3.5/5

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald: Hmm.. pretty, deeply flawed. much more actiony than the first film. Motivations seem cheap and unearned. Good CGI. Bad plot devices. Medium acting. 3/5 (but it's basically just a big floofy Zouwu kitty away from being a 2.5)

• Sabrina the teen age witch. The 90s one and NetFlix version.
    I like both. 90s version is fun silly. The Neflix version is excellent it has a darker and creepy.

4/5

• @acidtrip-69 said in Last movie you watched:

Sabrina the teen age witch. The 90s one and NetFlix version.
    I like both. 90s version is fun silly. The Neflix version is excellent it has a darker and creepy.

4/5

I love the old film and series, but turned off this new thing about 20 mins in. Why would the do that to such a show?

OT:

The Arrival: Absolutely loved it, a fantastic and clever take on first contact. It pretty much avoids plot holes as well, the concept being that our current understanding of both time and space is simply far too simple minded and linear thinking, which is probably true.

Mama: Another brilliant film by Del Toro. I'm surprised it took me this long to see it.

The Circle (2017): It came up on Netflix as I'd watched the horror film. It sounded interesting so I gave it a whirl, but switched it off about half way through as it simply housed far too many aspects of the modern world, the internet and social media that I loathe. The big brother aspect wasn't my biggest issue though, the part that truly put me off was when the instructor was giving a tutorial on surveys issued after your assistance and how important it was to maintain close to perfection. It just makes me sick because i know this kind of thing actually happens these days.

• The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

All Gold Canyon and The Gal Who Got Rattled are great---reminded me of Hemingway and O'Connor short stories. The rest of the stories can go screw.

• My dad and I usually watch a Bourne movie for Thanksgiving. ( I am convinced that if someone came out with a Jason Bourne channel, my dad would pay Comcast another $30 a month just to get it) But this year I decided to spice it up, and we watched Taken and John Wick 2.

• Overlord

I had a really fun time with this one. It's not going to change your life and most of the characters are fairly one-note, but they're likable and you see a lot of Nazis die. I was entertained throughout and that's all I can really ask for.

• Robin Hood: I'm biased and I love me a good Robin Hood story. This is not really a good Robin Hood Story, but close enough. The leads are charming and hammy, had a good time. 3/5

Creed II: Do you like Rocky movies? Did you enjoy Creed 1? Movie suffers EVER SO SLIGHTLY by not having Coogler direct, but not enough to make it a bad Rocky movie. Go see it. Rocky/5

• Border:

"A customs officer who can smell fear develops an unusual attraction to a strange traveler while aiding a police investigation which will call into question her entire existence."

While it's best to go into this probably not knowing more than that, I think several of the performances in this film are pretty great. I think narratively certain things weren't made clear enough, as I had to explain something plot- wise to the entire rest of the group I was with. I think we all generally liked it though. 3/5

Youtube Video

• The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

The vignette style leaves this somewhat uneven, but well shot and mostly enjoyable. I think it's a scene too long, but I think it's a solid 3.5/5

• Cam.

An interesting film with a hard to like, slut of a protagonist, but there's some genuine intrigue created by its premise and delivery. The ending is terrible though, it really doesn't pay off.

Hangman

A terrible film really. It held an interesting premise, but they didn't utilise it well whatsoever. When there's films like Seven out there to compare it to, it's just a bit of a joke really.