Last movie you watched

• Only the Brave
    Really enjoyed this one, as I tend to like movies that are based on true stories. It was interesting to learn about the Granite Mountain Hotshots and expresses the gravity of forest fires in a realistic way.

Crimes of Grindelwald
    I am a dedicated Harry Potter fan and this movie disappointed me. I wanted to enjoy it more, but Rowling is just pushing the limits on the story. Johnny Depp had a great performance as well as Eddie Redmayne, but the movie fell short in to many areas. Lots of magic, not a lot of beasts. i have no clue where this franchise is headed.

The Meg
    Movie about a giant shark with bad acting. Worth the watch

The Grinch (2018)
    Cute new take on the Grinch story. Expect the hilarious stupidity of an illumination movie and witty writing

Mission Impossible: Fallout
    I love the Mission Impossible movies, especially numbers 4 and 1, and this movie fit in great. The action is over the top with its own stunt style, "they will never make it", heart pumping moments. The story connected with the 5th movie, which was a plus in my book. I think it may be time to end them, only because it may be the next Fast and the Furious, but I enjoyed this one a lot.

• Creed 2

Rocky IV is one of my personal favorite films (even with its 80s cheese lol) , so it was super cool to see them revisit that portion of Rocky lore. Strong focus on family and humanizing even the opposition. Will add it to my personal collection.

• Widows:
    Pretty good heist thriller. Some standout performances, Viola Davis is a really good actor. Daniel Kaluuya is kinda scary. Not transcendent or anything though. Slow in parts, the big "twist" is a bit telegraphed. Solid. 3.5/5

Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse: Chromatic aberration aside, best Spider-Man movie. 4.5/5

• The Favorite:
    i think the acting, dialogue, costumes, humor, and cinematography is great. I just don't think I gel with Yorgos Lanthimos for some reason. This is clearly his most accessible film, and its nice to see Emma Stone in a good movie - its just not my speed for some reason. 3/5

Burning:
    I saw this with someone and it was not ambiguous enough to appeal to her sensibilities, and TOO ambiguous for mine. 2.5/5

• @tokyoslim I'm seeing The Favourite this weekend. I enjoyed The Lobster but not Sacred Deer as much. Looking forward to this one

• Tomb Raider (2018)

Cool set pieces and action. Kinda masochistic, like the reboot it's based off of. Mediocre story, acting... but at least a tomb was raided. 2.5/5

• @tokyoslim 100% agree. It was probably my fault for expecting a lot out of a video game movie.

• The Witches
    The Mask
    Jingle all the Way
    Goodfellas
    Demolition Man

• Pacific Rim Uprising:

I actually think this is a more enjoyable, more narratively sound version of the original, which I wanted to love, but just thought it was ok. 3/5

• I went from liking Vox Lux's first 20 min, to laughing at it when it just abruptly ended (I assume from suffocating to death from having its head up its own posterior) Sia songs were ok, costumes and makeup were good. 1.5/5

• This post is deleted!

• The Muppet Christmas Carol is still the best Christmas movie out there and I won't hear any objections.

• Aquaman - Utterly bonkers. Visually incoherent to the point that it feels like 3 different movies from 6 different directors, at least one of whom must have worked closely with Brendan Fraser in the late 90s/early 2000s. At one point near the end my friend turned to me and said, "What the fuck is this movie?" and I think that sums it up perfectly. One of the dorkiest movies I've ever seen, but also just so, so fun.

B

• Mary Poppins is competent, but I think it lacks the focus of the original. It seems like this versions story is built to service the songs, not that the songs are a natural extension of the plot. Also, it feels like there's 20 songs. Could use a touch of restraint in there. 2.5/5

Bumblebee is a surprisingly good transformers movie. A good story, good direction with an actually relatable protagonist, excellent acting, emotionally touching scenes, friendships and family focused, + giant robots fighting. Prob the apex of what a live TF movie can be. 3.5/5

• Won't You Be My Neighbor? - I watched this on a plane last night. Mr. Rogers was way before my time but this is an excellent documentary about an amazing man. Definitely recommended if you want something uplifting.

• Aquaman
    Well, it's an adventure movie that's fun because Jason Momoa is fun. Much in the way that The Rock, Jason Statham, and etc. are. I liked Momoa as Conan too. Momoa is a good brand. Movie is more or less forgettable other than that though. 3/5

Ralph Breaks the Internet
    I think that this lives up to the first movie. Surprisingly emotional and good messages for kids... Animation is ok, but Ralph's updated model looks weird to me. Lots of fun references and easter eggs in the backgrounds of "the internet" 4/5

• I finally got around to seeing Shoplifters

Undoubtedly Kore-eda san's best film to date, though I feel like a lot of the layers and nuance are lost on people who aren't familiar with Japanese culture, and specifically living in Tokyo.

There's a scene where the family asks "dad" to take the trash out on his way out the door to work. He picks up a clear bag full of cans, walks to the curb, by which there is a pile of blue bags. He looks at the sign on the post near the pile of bags, mutters to himself "its all trash", puts his bag on the pile, and walks away.

To everyone else, this may be a throwaway scene. Garbage day, you take all your trash to the curb and garbage people put it in a truck and take it away... right?

But to those living in Tokyo, this is a full on metaphorical rejection of society and an example of him being willing to ignore the rule of law when it's convenient. Garbage collection in tokyo is highly complex and regulated. Throwing out the wrong trash on the wrong day can lead to warnings and fines. They have stickers of shame they will put on garbage bags of the wrong color, that contain the wrong kind of trash, or are incorrectly tied. That bag would be left out on the curb until the day that "washed aluminum" was scheduled. If your neighbors saw who left it, they'd probably bring it back to your house.

Shoplifters is about a "family" of grifters living in relative anarchy in the cracks of an ordered society. Shoplifting, conning people out of grievance money, stealing valuables from other people's laundry... the power to reject the rules is a reoccurring theme, the ability to choose who you call family though you're not blood related is a large part of this. But this movie exposes what a fragile and untenable freedom that is. Their life in the fringes is brought into focus, society judges them, and "justice" is done.

I think it's clear that this isn't always for the benefit of the individual, but for the sake of a regimented and orderly society. The cost of this is is high, and the movie makes it clear that nobody involved is happier after than before, except for the people whos job it is to smooth out the problems, assign a narrative that makes sense to a "problem" and impassionately move on to the next one.

In less sure hands, this film is a scathing indictment of the Japanese mindset of orderly rule following, but Kore-eda shows us more nuance than that. 4/5

• Spider-Man: Into the Spider Verse. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Some weird background that made me think whether I needed 3D glasses or not was so weird. 3.5/5

• @tearju-engi Yeaaahh, that has been a problem here at my theater as well. When we first looked at the print, we were wondering if we accidentally got a 3D version. I've dealt with several complaints about it being "blurry" and just had to explain it was intentional.

• Tomb Raider 2018

Simply terrible. While I don't necessarily think either of the two previous films were any better, Jolie made a 100% better Lara.

Looks, Personality, social standing, ability; the new Lara was unidentifiable as Miss Croft as we know her