Last movie you watched

• @bam541

The works of Akira Kurosawa - Yojimbo (a Japanese western about a wandering samurai who manipulates two gangs into fighting each other in order to liberate a village of them), Throne of Blood, Hidden Fortress, Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Ran, Sanjuro

Harakiri is badass. A former samurai comes to a castle asking to commit suicide in their courtyard, with the condition that the samurai masters listen to his story first. Through the flashbacks, we learn that he is here for vengeance. The story he tells them ends with him telling the masters that their samurai code, bushido, is a facade and that they are hypocrites, deeply insulting them, at which point a bloody massacre ensues.

Sword of Doom, Samurai Rebellion

Ninja Scroll is kind of similar to Sekiro.

Criterion Collection has distribution rights for most of these. Their movies are expensive, but you could subscribe to their streaming service a little or rent the discs from Netflix like I did.

• The Criterion Channel has a very large selection of samurai films. Almost everything Ezekiel's mentioned and many other classics including some samurai film series (Lonewolf and Cub, Zatoichi, Hanzo the Razor). Two week free trial too.

• Ah damn, Criterion Channel isn't available in my country. The physical copies from Criterion Collection that i found are pretty expensive too. I don't think I can get those movies anytime soon, but thanks anyway! Gonna add them to my to-watch list. @Ezekiel @Ringedwithtile

• Ah, you're in Europe. Masters of Cinema DVDs/blu rays are probably going to be the better means for you then. It looks like they have or have had a good number of the films mentioned, though some are out of print now. If there are mail order rental services, then you should be able to check some out. If you're in a major city, check your library (both for physical disks or streaming options available with your card) or if there are any repertory cinemas---seeing these films on the big screen is always a nice treat.

I'm sure there are other home video companies in different parts of Europe offering some of these films, but I'm not as aware of them.

Sorry for assuming you were North American.

• 13 Assassins
    Youtube Video

If you can get ahold of the Lone Wolf and Cub series, do that. If not - the Shogun Assassin cut is good enough for Wu Tang and Kill Bill, so it's good enough for me.
    Youtube Video

And obviously, if you can - Seven Samurai is basically one of the most adapted, most often copied films of the 20th century. It's an older black and white film, which doesn't hold some people's attention. It's worth it though.
    Youtube Video

Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman is also pretty great. Plus you get to see Takeshi Kitano (yes, of Takeshi's Challenge) in one of his finest roles.
    Youtube Video

• @ringedwithtile I'm actually from Asia, lol. It's been easier to buy non-pirated stuff here in my country in the last couple years, but getting stuff like this is still pretty tough. The libraries of the film streaming services here doesn't reach that deep, and the one big film retail and rental place that might have it in store just closed last year. Online bluray stores here are quite limited too. I'm guessing I have to go order it from overseas.

@TokyoSlim thanks! I might start with 13 Assassins first.

• @bam541 said in Last movie you watched:

I might start with 13 Assassins first.

It's real good. Very influenced by Seven Samurai (like a lot of other movies are) but one of Miike's very best films IMO, and I've seen like 50 of them.

• I was digging through my old stuff earlier when I found a copy of Dredd (2012), still unopened. It's a pretty fun watch. Story's nothing special but I'm all here for the badass action moments, and there's certainly some here. The pacing is pretty good, when it goes slower it's actually quite tense and the actions scenes are exciting. I like how violent it is, it gets pretty brutal at times. I don't know how to feel about how the film looks, it's quite stylish and grimy but there some sort of fake feeling in certain parts that I can't get over with. The slo-mo sections are pretty neat though. I'm entertained by Karl Urban's performance as Dredd, in both good and bad ways. It's a shame that Lena Headey didn't get more screen time. (6/10)

• It's really inspired by / a knockoff of The Raid: Redemption, but Dredd is one of those movies that I'll watch whenever I happen to see it while scrolling around on my media server looking for something to watch.

• Finally watched Avengers: Endgame. I'm giving this a very biased, totally emotion-based 10/10.

• I've been doing the whole Marvel thing. I'd seen a few here and there, but in the last week I watched:

Spiderman Homecoming
    Hulk 2008
    Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

• I’m watching Shoah on Blu-ray, a French documentary film about the Holocaust. It’s disturbing how calculated the German’s mass murder was. Like, how the gas vans should be designed in order to kill the victims as efficiently as possible. Something as simple as putting a light in a van had to be calculated. If you don’t put a light inside the van, the victims tend to run towards the door on the back of the van, because being sealed in darkness scares them. But having them crowd in the back evens out the weight on the axle, which keeps the van steady. A drain in the bottom of the van so that waste can be easily disposed of after the bodies have been removed. Feed a steady supply of gas into the back of the van by driving at a steady pace so that the victims are dead by the time the van reaches the destination where the bodies are disposed of. One of the witnesses describes a van making a hard turn, which causes the door to swing open and bodies to fall out. Some of them are still alive, crawling weakly, so a gestapo steps out and shoots them with his revolver. It was filmed in the eighties, so there are interviews from witnesses, survivors and perpetrators while they were still middle-aged. It has a lot of captivating scenery of Poland in the (then) modern day. I don’t think I ever really appreciated just how evil this all was until now, or maybe I just became desensitized to it until I learned all this new information. I can only imagine how shocking it was in the ’80s, before the subject became so known. The documentary is mostly dispassionate about it, which makes it sadder and more real. The first half has been really good.

• Long Shot:
    I appreciate this as a movie in which the protagonist basically appears like he has one or two sets of clothes, because that's basically how I roll. Coordinating outfits is so much easier when you pretty much only have a couple of outfits. The ease with which white people in these movies seem to procure drugs in an unfamiliar place seems like it would be immersion breaking - but it's Seth Rogen. If anyone could get ahold of some Molly in Paris with like ten minutes notice - I would bet it would be Seth Rogen. Charlize is too hot. She's such a cool person though that I think she genuinely likes and has a good time hanging out with Rogen - so the chemistry in the film is believable. My favorite exchange in the film "You shaved your neck!" "Yeah... i got it cleaned up all the way down my back too".
    3/5

Detective Pikachu:
    I got a Pikachu and a Bulbasaur card. The big twist in the film is kind of spoiled by the entire premise of the film. Other than that - this thing is pretty glorious. Pikachu is OP tho.
    3.5/5

• @tokyoslim Jealous you got that Bulbasaur card. I was able to snag four packs - 2 Lickitungs, 2 Jigglypuffs.

• Finally saw Shoplifters. As with After the Storm, I'm amazed with the performances Koreeda was able to wring out of his performers. He's made me realized that what I previously saw as stereotypical bad Japanese acting (i.e. overwrought melodrama with almost no nuance) is really just a result of poor direction. If people know Japanese directors that can bring out similarly naturalistic performances from their actors, please let me know. He's really in a league of his own for me right now. I'm also amazed by how grounded his storytelling is. What could've easily come off as overly quirky or fantastical in the hands of a less-skilled director is instead beautiful, sad, and honest. Avoiding spoilers, I have some issues with the resolution of the movie, but that's also part of the point. Highly recommend if you have a couple hours to spare. It's on Hulu right now. A-

• @naltmank

I've been trying to catch more Japanese live-action movies. One recent one that I have seen that I really liked was "Radiance" (dir. Naomi Kawase). I thought that the performances in that one were very good.

• @sheria Just rewatched Thor: The Dark World. The villain is dreadful, and it definitely takes itself too seriously, but it's also not as bad as I remembered! The sheer quality of Endgame has allowed me to view the older MCU films in a different light.

• Detective Pikachu

This was everything I've ever wanted out a Pokemon movie both as a kid and now as an adult. I really can't believe how well they pulled everything off and I have a strong desire to see it again in theaters - that's something I've rarely ever done. Plus, I gotta pay more attention and see if I can spot my boy Wobbuffet anywhere.

• @klinjon when I rewatched the MCU in the run-up to Infinity War I definitely remember thinking it wasn't as bad as I had remembered. Honestly everything up until

the escape from Asgar

was pretty decent

• 4/5 if you like action movies
    2/5 if you like dialogue