Last movie you watched

• In Fabric:
    A heavily Giallo inspired story about a cursed dress. While I think some of the dialogue, especially that of the shopkeeper is amazing,, I found the story to be overall pretty lackluster. 3/5
    Youtube Video

10 Years Thailand:
    A series of 4 vignette style shorts envisioning the future of Thailand in 2028. The first is a stark look at the future of artistic censorship. The second is a world run by humanoid cats who've hunted regular humans nearly to extinction. The third is a neon happy religious order run by a chubby mama-san and a mummified general in a wheelchair, who go out and collect defective people and bring them in to be "repurposed". The fourth is a conversation taking place around a roundabout under construction with what is apparently the statue honoring a brutal dictator in the center of it. Nobody mentions it. I really enjoyed 3/4 of the vignettes and didn't really "get" one of them. So I'm giving it a 3.5/5
    Youtube Video

• El Angel:
    1970s Argentine criminal Carlos Robledo Puch gets the Goodfellas treatment. It's fascinating and somewhat chilling to fall in with this sociopath, be charmed by his swagger and carefree life - only to be shocked out of it time and time again by him unhesitatingly murdering people without an ounce of remorse. The film's Scorcese-lite music scoring works, I think, and the acting is superb. 4.5/5
    Youtube Video

• Godzilla: King of the Monsters

I've been an unapologetic Godzilla fan since I was a kid, staying up late on Saturday nights to watch a man in a rubber suit destroy model cities. When Godzilla 2014 was released, critics praised it for breathing new life into the beast but I thought it was utter trash - the main focus was on the humans and Godzilla had about five minutes of screen time, as each time a fight was about to break out, it would cut to something else. With this release, critics absolutely hate it... and it's exactly what I wanted. Big ol' monsters duking it out and (most) of the movie serves to showcase how awesome they are. Some of the shots with Ghidorah, Mothra, and Godzilla are absolutely breathtaking and guess what? They fight! Multiple times even! Way better than I expected, still too many human scenes though which does make the film feel a bit too long.

• Deadwood: The Movie

Time flew by fast with this one, it was a joy to return once more to Deadwood. Not the best we've had from the series, and I didn't expect it to be such, but nevertheless a long awaited epilogue for everything. I mean the hope was pretty much dead for a very long time to have any kind of closure to things, so now as a surprise bonus finally I was just more than happy to welcome this fim.

Seth Bullock is practically the best thing out of best things, was back then and was still now. And as Olyphant is basically my official man-crush because of Deadwood and Justified I couldn't stop smiling when Bullock, for instance, called out Hearst from the middle of the street, stating "you murdering cunt". Hah. :D The use of language remained exceptional in the movie, meaning all that Shakespearean level convoluted phrase structures and what have you are all around the dialogue and at the same time an absurd yet fitting amount of cursing and swearing balances the scales with that. Out of the side characters I'm giving my shoutouts to Charlie Utter and Johnny Burns who warmed my heart.

And Garret Dillahunt seemed to have been given his third role in the show. A nice touch, that one. Blink-and-you-miss-it.

• I got distracted from watching the two blu-rays I got sometime ago. So here's two other movies:

Moonrise Kingdom
    This is my first full Wes Anderson movie, and boy I'm excited for more. I love his style here, it just feels so jolly and heartwarming to me. I'm mostly in awe of the cinematography, I can't properly describe it but it speaks so much to me: how shots are framed, what is dominant in the shot and how the camera moves. The one scene that pops up to me right now is when the two main characters are speaking next to a big trampoline that's being used by a boy. The way they enter the frame, then talk, and exit while the boy is just bouncing happily just warms my heart. I also love how the movie is being colored: it starts with bright colors and gets more playful as the movies gets crazier. There's simply too much to love here, technically. I can go on for hours talking about all the scenes here.

Story wise, I didn't expect the movie to get a bit serious halfway through, but that just made it stronger for me. It's more exciting to see how the story is being told rather than seeing how it all plays out (not saying it's weak plot-wise though). Also, I thought the two main actor-actress duo nailed the awkwardness of their characters. The length of the movie is fitting, can't say I got complaints about how it's paced. (8/10)

John Wick
    It's a sin of mine: I've never watched any of the John Wick movies until now. I had friends showing me clips of them on Youtube, which I enjoy very much. I can see why this got people's attention. The action scenes are so goddamn slick, they really made Wick look and act like the dangerous professional the baddies made him out to be. I also adore the criminal world lore that they are building up here. (7/10)

• Then That Follow:
    It's a tense drama about a snake handling church pastor's daughter when she discovers she's pregnant with an illicit sin baby. Bill Pullman's son, Walton Goggins, Olivia Colman, Kaitlyn Dever (also in Booksmart right now) Thomas Man from Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, and Jim Gaffigan, and a bunch of other interesting folks.

4/5

Update: trailer just released

Youtube Video

• Late Night:

Emma Thompson and Mindy Kaling are great. Light comedy, some emotional moments, John Lithgow is also in this film and he's such a great, underrated actor.
    3.5/5

• Cities of Last Things:

A bit of Wong Kar Wai 's 2046, notes of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and with a little bit of Infernal Affairs thrown in. A sci-fi noir tryptich in reverse chronology that follows an older man in the somewhat near future, who basically loses his shit when he finds out his wife is having an affair. Then him as a young police detective when he's set up to take a fall for police corruption. Then him as a teenager, when he first meets the mother who may have abandoned him to pursue a life of crime.

4/5

• House of Hummingbird:

Korean teenage girl drama, somewhat in the vein of Ladybird. An 8th grade girl has her first kiss with a boy who then basically acts uninterested in her, then interested again, then uninterested. Her best friend suggests shoplifting and then rats her out to her parents. Her parents fight constantly, and pressure each of their children to and past the breaking point of stress with school. A friend of hers admits to having a lesbian attraction to her, She has a tumor on her neck and has surgery and nobody even asks how she's doing... everybody talks about her like she's not there - criticising her personality and behavior, and amidst all this a new teacher in her cram school connects with her, forms a deep emotional bond with her and "understands" her - but then unexpectedly leaves the school. Nobody will tell her why, or where she's gone.

I have described most of the plot here, but the range of emotional response elicited, from frustration, anger, depression, shock, panic, worry, confusion, and etc. is why you'd be interested in this movie. The acting is sublime, though the plot is basically just "life events" and there's little to no resolution. It's pointed out once that the main character is only "thinking of herself, behaving selfishly" but this film from her viewpoint - shows that everyone mostly thinks of themselves and behaves selfishly. What else is she supposed to do?

4.5/5

• The Death Of Dick Long

A sort of early lite Coen-Bros-esque black comedy about two dim witted members of a band trying to cover up the accidental death of the third member after a night of excess. Directed by one of the directors of Swiss Army Man, so there's a wierd twist or two.

3.5/5

• The Dead Don't Die:

Are Zombie-comedies your most beloved thing? Are you somebody that's never seen one? This will be fun for you. If you're burned out on them and hoping this shakes things up, it doesn't.

Adam Driver calmly breaks the 4th wall at every opportunity. I'd watch a whole movie about Tilda Swintons character, but she's only got maybe eight to ten min of screen time. I feel like this was just an excuse for Jarmusch to hang with his friends, but I think I'd rather they have just gotten drunk and did that. Still, some funny moments and reoccurring gags.

3/5

• @tokyoslim

I generally like the films of Jim Jarmusch and I thought that "Paterson" and "Only Lovers Left Alive" were enjoyable. I have zero interest in zombie-comedies though. Still worth checking out? Is the writing that bland?

• @holographics Some of the jokes are good, but it's pretty boilerplate Zom-Com

• I surprised myself and watched Leviathan (2014), a Russian film of many awards. This was a punch to the guts, not a happy story for sure. A really strong and striking experience, it kept me captivated with a firm grip. The characters all felt real, the sense of ordinary people in the midst of troubled times worked perfectly. It was sort of easy to grasp everyone's thoughts and where their heads were, the storytelling was both clear and tight. I think Lilya's role spoke to me the most, her character's arc grew in a solid fashion through the film. The milieu was honestly extremely interesting, both visually but also sort of dynamically, socially. Practically secluded far to the north. A vivid depiction of human life at its most unfair.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_(2014_film)

• Not a movie per say, but I just watched the play Waiting for Godot. Fucking masterpiece. Every human alive should see it. Answers all the questions you'll ever have about life & the meaning of existence.

• #follow me

Such a terrible film. The main, three girl, cast were some of the most unlikeable characters I've seen. Nothing actually happens until the last 15 minutes and even then it's unsatisfying with exception of seeing the three obnoxious early 20s meet their demise.

• Rocketman:

More of a full-on musical than I thought it would be. Taron Egerton is good enough to pull off the acting and singing, but some of the traditional biopic tropes are very apparent: sneering "bad guy" agent who takes advantage of naive artist, best friends arguing and reconciling for dramatic effect. (The movie wraps with a scene of Elton and his Friend Bernie, who in the movie was played by Jamie Bell - "They have still never had an argument". Movie shows them having like no less than three arguments. One of which apparently caused them to lose touch for years) The vocal arrangement of some of the songs can be a little jarring, as sometimes the child playing young Elton will start a song, and grown up Elton will just drop in and finish it. These are pretty minor nit-picks though.
    Better than Bohemian Rhapsody. 3.5/5

Men In Black International:

I have never seen Chris Hemsworth be so misused. His half-note character seems like a Thor parody (they even made a Thor visual gag) Tessa Thompson doesn't have much to work with either. Seemed like 100% of the dialogue budget went to Kumail Nanjiani - who is by far the highlight of this film, IMO.
    The plot is so formulaic that the intro basically spoils the plot twist. I kept thinking - "they wouldn't do the most obvious thing, would they? "
    And then... they did. Aliens look cool tho. 2.5/5

• I saw The Biggest Little Farm at Hot Doc's this past weekend.

Youtube Video

Its a great film. Essentially, a couple decides to open up an old fashioned organic farm on the outskirts of Los Angeles where many single purpose farms have already been abandoned and the soil is dry and infertile. Its documents over 7 years of this couple growing their piece of land from a barren lifeless plot, to a thriving ecosystem that goes beyond a mere farm.

The film mainly focuses on the cute stuff like their personal journey, the animals, the people they meet, and how the succeeded and also failed (a lot). It doesn't go in-depth about the logistics or how this was financed which I would have liked to know, but it would have altered the tone into a different movie entirely.

There is a lot of really good directing and camera work here as well. Some super slowmo moments of nature happening right there on the farm. Extremely difficult to capture stuff. Its a cute and impressive movie that I highly recommend.

Neon films have been 2/2 with awesome movies I've seen this year, the other being Gaspar Noe's "Climax"

9/10

P.S. I couldn't help but think of base building/RTS video games while watching the journey of this farm. I think some video gamers should roll up their sleeves and give it a crack cause we'd probably be good at it.

• Late but Apollo 11 was absolutely breathtaking. Its incredible what they were able to achieve with that archival film and audio. Its a must see for any fans of space or cool documentaries

• Spider-Man: Far From Home

Just a quick recap on my feeling towards Spider-Man movies - I liked the Raimi ones quite a bit, severely disliked the Amazing Spider-Man films, loved Homecoming, and thought Into the Spider-verse is the best Spidey flick ever created. Now that's out of the way... I really enjoyed this one.

The first half is on the slower side but that's because I was expecting something to happen the whole time.

I knew going into this movie that the whole multi-verse idea that Mysterio was presenting had to be some sort of trick and bam, I was right! Once Gyllenhal has that turn, damn, he really steps into the role and makes it his own. I loved the scenes where he was using illusions to fight Parker, it was exactly how I wanted them to use Mysterio.

The post-credits scene is meh but that mid-credits scene sets up a third movie that is bound to be bonkers. I started clapping when a certain someone showed up to reprise their role.