Last movie you watched

• @tokyoslim

I generally like the films of Jim Jarmusch and I thought that "Paterson" and "Only Lovers Left Alive" were enjoyable. I have zero interest in zombie-comedies though. Still worth checking out? Is the writing that bland?

• @holographics Some of the jokes are good, but it's pretty boilerplate Zom-Com

• I surprised myself and watched Leviathan (2014), a Russian film of many awards. This was a punch to the guts, not a happy story for sure. A really strong and striking experience, it kept me captivated with a firm grip. The characters all felt real, the sense of ordinary people in the midst of troubled times worked perfectly. It was sort of easy to grasp everyone's thoughts and where their heads were, the storytelling was both clear and tight. I think Lilya's role spoke to me the most, her character's arc grew in a solid fashion through the film. The milieu was honestly extremely interesting, both visually but also sort of dynamically, socially. Practically secluded far to the north. A vivid depiction of human life at its most unfair.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_(2014_film)

• Not a movie per say, but I just watched the play Waiting for Godot. Fucking masterpiece. Every human alive should see it. Answers all the questions you'll ever have about life & the meaning of existence.

• #follow me

Such a terrible film. The main, three girl, cast were some of the most unlikeable characters I've seen. Nothing actually happens until the last 15 minutes and even then it's unsatisfying with exception of seeing the three obnoxious early 20s meet their demise.

• Rocketman:

More of a full-on musical than I thought it would be. Taron Egerton is good enough to pull off the acting and singing, but some of the traditional biopic tropes are very apparent: sneering "bad guy" agent who takes advantage of naive artist, best friends arguing and reconciling for dramatic effect. (The movie wraps with a scene of Elton and his Friend Bernie, who in the movie was played by Jamie Bell - "They have still never had an argument". Movie shows them having like no less than three arguments. One of which apparently caused them to lose touch for years) The vocal arrangement of some of the songs can be a little jarring, as sometimes the child playing young Elton will start a song, and grown up Elton will just drop in and finish it. These are pretty minor nit-picks though.
    Better than Bohemian Rhapsody. 3.5/5

Men In Black International:

I have never seen Chris Hemsworth be so misused. His half-note character seems like a Thor parody (they even made a Thor visual gag) Tessa Thompson doesn't have much to work with either. Seemed like 100% of the dialogue budget went to Kumail Nanjiani - who is by far the highlight of this film, IMO.
    The plot is so formulaic that the intro basically spoils the plot twist. I kept thinking - "they wouldn't do the most obvious thing, would they? "
    And then... they did. Aliens look cool tho. 2.5/5

• I saw The Biggest Little Farm at Hot Doc's this past weekend.

Youtube Video

Its a great film. Essentially, a couple decides to open up an old fashioned organic farm on the outskirts of Los Angeles where many single purpose farms have already been abandoned and the soil is dry and infertile. Its documents over 7 years of this couple growing their piece of land from a barren lifeless plot, to a thriving ecosystem that goes beyond a mere farm.

The film mainly focuses on the cute stuff like their personal journey, the animals, the people they meet, and how the succeeded and also failed (a lot). It doesn't go in-depth about the logistics or how this was financed which I would have liked to know, but it would have altered the tone into a different movie entirely.

There is a lot of really good directing and camera work here as well. Some super slowmo moments of nature happening right there on the farm. Extremely difficult to capture stuff. Its a cute and impressive movie that I highly recommend.

Neon films have been 2/2 with awesome movies I've seen this year, the other being Gaspar Noe's "Climax"

9/10

P.S. I couldn't help but think of base building/RTS video games while watching the journey of this farm. I think some video gamers should roll up their sleeves and give it a crack cause we'd probably be good at it.

• Late but Apollo 11 was absolutely breathtaking. Its incredible what they were able to achieve with that archival film and audio. Its a must see for any fans of space or cool documentaries

• Spider-Man: Far From Home

Just a quick recap on my feeling towards Spider-Man movies - I liked the Raimi ones quite a bit, severely disliked the Amazing Spider-Man films, loved Homecoming, and thought Into the Spider-verse is the best Spidey flick ever created. Now that's out of the way... I really enjoyed this one.

The first half is on the slower side but that's because I was expecting something to happen the whole time.

I knew going into this movie that the whole multi-verse idea that Mysterio was presenting had to be some sort of trick and bam, I was right! Once Gyllenhal has that turn, damn, he really steps into the role and makes it his own. I loved the scenes where he was using illusions to fight Parker, it was exactly how I wanted them to use Mysterio.

The post-credits scene is meh but that mid-credits scene sets up a third movie that is bound to be bonkers. I started clapping when a certain someone showed up to reprise their role.

• I just saw Spiderman as well, and holy shit I loved it. Every single joke landed, Jake Gyllenhal is extremely likable, and it has perhaps my favorite action scene in the entire MCU. This is easily a contender for my favorite Marvel movie. The mid-credit scene also contains some truly franchise changing stuff, and I can't wait to see how it plays out.

• Same here. Saw Spider-Man Far From Home the other day because it released in Japan on Friday. Fun ride. Gonna watch it again in 2D when I get back home. 3D just isn't good when there is fast action moments but I took it instead of waiting 5 hours for a 2D showing

• Spidey FFH

That's an A+ for how they treated Mysterio. That was simply magnificent, just perfect. I was like mmmmh! yes!, when the awaited reveal came. No multiverse stuff for me (at least right now), please. Beck even laughed at that himself, like how could people fall for that. Love me some meta like this. :) That scene in that Berlin's empty building was like straight out of comics pages, loved it intensely! I'm so happy they pulled the ol' fish bowl head off like this.

• Midsommar

Hereditary was my favorite film of last year so I went into this as my most anticipated film of the year. While I don't think I liked it as much as the former, it's still worth the watch - Aster has a way of creating oppressive atmospheres without relying on jump scares. It's even more impressive how the dread builds in this one considering its very bright palette, and some of the shots here are downright gorgeous. The ending feels much more satisfying than Hereditary - remind me to be careful if I ever visit Sweden though.

• The Iron Giant - Signature Edition (Blu-ray)
    alt text

I found it great. It's a shame that it sold so poorly in 1999.

I'd kill to see traditionally animated films make a comeback, but my gut tells me most people would watch the latest CG thing instead. I'm sick of them.

• Yesterday: a bit cheesy, doesn't really do a great job of explaining the reverence for the Beatles or selling that the songs are as relevant in modern culture as they were originally - which I think you have to do for the film to be more than a nostalgia piece. I think maybe Kate McKinnon hams it up a bit much, but the music IS was good enough and the leads charming enough to carry this movie to a 3/5 for me.

Booksmart: there are undeniable similarities between this and stuff like Superbad. I think the story has been modernized nicely though. Funny. 4/5

• Midsommar: Viscerally distrubing and yet oddly beautiful, this is possibly the most distressing move I've ever seen. If you struggle with anxiety or panic disorder I'd consider waiting for this to come out on blu ray, not because it's scary per se, but because it literally puts you in the headspace of someone who has panic attacks and is dealing with anxiety and depression. The first 15 minutes or so made me feel physically ill because of the way it preyed on my worst anxieties, and that's before the disturbing imagery starts. It also has probably the most realistic portrayal of tripping I've ever seen, which also really made me uncomfortable. This movie seriously messed me up. It's also incredible. A-

• Trapped in a crawlspace with a bunch of pissed off Alligators, during a Category 5 Hurricane, where everything is flooding, and nobody's around to help. Also, your dad's down there with you, and his leg bone is sticking out of the skin. And there's also a doggy to worry about. There's some jump scares in this one folks. A cool 90 min movie, which is kind of refreshing every once in a while.

3/5

Youtube Video

• Alita: Battle Angel. As far as Manga adaptation goes, it is probably very good. I liked the first half of the movie a lot better, sometimes a lot of exposition but good world building. Did not like the Motorball parts. Even they went out of their way to introduce it to the audience, it still felt kind of out of place for me. One reason the second half was not that good. Some rushed stuff, some questionable dialog and speeches, and somehow the movie just ends with not so much of a climax. Action scenes were great, especially the way Alita moved. Had a fair amount of dismemberments that I didn’t expected.