Last movie you watched

• Spider-Man: Far From Home

Just a quick recap on my feeling towards Spider-Man movies - I liked the Raimi ones quite a bit, severely disliked the Amazing Spider-Man films, loved Homecoming, and thought Into the Spider-verse is the best Spidey flick ever created. Now that's out of the way... I really enjoyed this one.

The first half is on the slower side but that's because I was expecting something to happen the whole time.

I knew going into this movie that the whole multi-verse idea that Mysterio was presenting had to be some sort of trick and bam, I was right! Once Gyllenhal has that turn, damn, he really steps into the role and makes it his own. I loved the scenes where he was using illusions to fight Parker, it was exactly how I wanted them to use Mysterio.

The post-credits scene is meh but that mid-credits scene sets up a third movie that is bound to be bonkers. I started clapping when a certain someone showed up to reprise their role.

• I just saw Spiderman as well, and holy shit I loved it. Every single joke landed, Jake Gyllenhal is extremely likable, and it has perhaps my favorite action scene in the entire MCU. This is easily a contender for my favorite Marvel movie. The mid-credit scene also contains some truly franchise changing stuff, and I can't wait to see how it plays out.

• Same here. Saw Spider-Man Far From Home the other day because it released in Japan on Friday. Fun ride. Gonna watch it again in 2D when I get back home. 3D just isn't good when there is fast action moments but I took it instead of waiting 5 hours for a 2D showing

• Spidey FFH

That's an A+ for how they treated Mysterio. That was simply magnificent, just perfect. I was like mmmmh! yes!, when the awaited reveal came. No multiverse stuff for me (at least right now), please. Beck even laughed at that himself, like how could people fall for that. Love me some meta like this. :) That scene in that Berlin's empty building was like straight out of comics pages, loved it intensely! I'm so happy they pulled the ol' fish bowl head off like this.

• Midsommar

Hereditary was my favorite film of last year so I went into this as my most anticipated film of the year. While I don't think I liked it as much as the former, it's still worth the watch - Aster has a way of creating oppressive atmospheres without relying on jump scares. It's even more impressive how the dread builds in this one considering its very bright palette, and some of the shots here are downright gorgeous. The ending feels much more satisfying than Hereditary - remind me to be careful if I ever visit Sweden though.

• The Iron Giant - Signature Edition (Blu-ray)
    alt text

I found it great. It's a shame that it sold so poorly in 1999.

I'd kill to see traditionally animated films make a comeback, but my gut tells me most people would watch the latest CG thing instead. I'm sick of them.

• Yesterday: a bit cheesy, doesn't really do a great job of explaining the reverence for the Beatles or selling that the songs are as relevant in modern culture as they were originally - which I think you have to do for the film to be more than a nostalgia piece. I think maybe Kate McKinnon hams it up a bit much, but the music IS was good enough and the leads charming enough to carry this movie to a 3/5 for me.

Booksmart: there are undeniable similarities between this and stuff like Superbad. I think the story has been modernized nicely though. Funny. 4/5

• Midsommar: Viscerally distrubing and yet oddly beautiful, this is possibly the most distressing move I've ever seen. If you struggle with anxiety or panic disorder I'd consider waiting for this to come out on blu ray, not because it's scary per se, but because it literally puts you in the headspace of someone who has panic attacks and is dealing with anxiety and depression. The first 15 minutes or so made me feel physically ill because of the way it preyed on my worst anxieties, and that's before the disturbing imagery starts. It also has probably the most realistic portrayal of tripping I've ever seen, which also really made me uncomfortable. This movie seriously messed me up. It's also incredible. A-

• Trapped in a crawlspace with a bunch of pissed off Alligators, during a Category 5 Hurricane, where everything is flooding, and nobody's around to help. Also, your dad's down there with you, and his leg bone is sticking out of the skin. And there's also a doggy to worry about. There's some jump scares in this one folks. A cool 90 min movie, which is kind of refreshing every once in a while.

3/5

Youtube Video

• Alita: Battle Angel. As far as Manga adaptation goes, it is probably very good. I liked the first half of the movie a lot better, sometimes a lot of exposition but good world building. Did not like the Motorball parts. Even they went out of their way to introduce it to the audience, it still felt kind of out of place for me. One reason the second half was not that good. Some rushed stuff, some questionable dialog and speeches, and somehow the movie just ends with not so much of a climax. Action scenes were great, especially the way Alita moved. Had a fair amount of dismemberments that I didn’t expected.

• alt text

I wish this were the cover. Instead I get this eyesore:

alt text

Nice movie, though. Enchanting and impressively animated. The characters have so much motion. Secret of NIHM, also by Don Bluth, will be arriving in two weeks.

I asked one of the supervisors at my job yesterday if he misses traditionally animated movies, as a former Disney artist. He said that he misses them so much and would try so bad to get back in if they started making them again. The guy is probably in his thirties. So many unused artists because Hollywood is too afraid to diversify. I wouldn't work on CG animation either if I grew up wanting to make traditional.

• Glengary Glen Ross

This movie is considered a classic and one of the best adapted films of all time. While I did enjoy it, and I think the actors all helped create believable characters, I think this movie had a lot of padding - even for a 100 minute film.

I felt like the first 45 minutes was gratuitous in its setup with scenes repeating the same points twice in a row (i.e. we need the Glengarry leads, our current leads are shit). From Wikipedia, I saw that the theatrical play is actually much shorter and even short by play standards so maybe the padding criticism is a result of having to film-ify a stage play.

I really like the premise of multiple characters driven to steal one object from their asshole boss, but again, it can't carry the whole film. I think if you can get on-board with some really solid human-like dialogue, and some really solid textured acting such as Levene being a scared old man with a dying daughter, while also having to put on the face of a stone cold salesman, then this movie is interesting. I just couldn't get on-board with it on the whole.

I hate when I watch a classic film for the first time and I don't appreciate it the same way others do. With all that said, its just my opinion and it takes nothing away from its classic status.

6.5/10

• @ezekiel

Classical isn't completely dead though. Lots of movies have traditional 2D animation or at least scenes that are classical based on the needs to the script. Hell, even some 2D primetime comedy shows have cutaway scenes with lots of classical animation. Its just hard to tell because they blend it together so well with the rest of it. I personally like the old classical Disney animated films a lot more than the CG ones, but it exists in other places than just Disney.

• @dipset said in Last movie you watched:

@ezekiel

Classical isn't completely dead though. Lots of movies have traditional 2D animation or at least scenes that are classical based on the needs to the script. Hell, even some 2D primetime comedy shows have cutaway scenes with lots of classical animation. Its just hard to tell because they blend it together so well with the rest of it. I personally like the old classical Disney animated films a lot more than the CG ones, but it exists in other places than just Disney.

No, it's pretty much dead outside Asia. You only see it on TV and in DC animated features now. A few cutaways in live action do not make an exception. None of the major studios care anymore. But I don't care about their CG movies anymore either. I haven't watched one in such a long time. The last was probably Moana on Netflix, which John Musker and Ron Clements, I read, really wanted to do as a traditional animation. John Lasseter forced them to make it CG. I'm not going to support Disney's decision. I might never watch another CG animation, unless invited to one.

Anyway...

I watched Last Tango in Paris yesterday. I had seen it once before on DVD, which was a poor release. This looked far better.

I don't think I've ever gotten so many Blu-ray releases in a week.

alt text

My sixty-something year old Iranian co-worker has been wanting me to watch Papillon for like eight months. I wanted to. I've just hesitated so long because of the price and it not being on Netflix DVD.

Friday, I watched Conan the Barbarian. I expected a cheesy B-movie, but what I got was a weird, rousing adventure epic. It was pretty good. Very visual. Not much dialogue. Arnold was perfect for this role. 4/5.

• @ezekiel said in Last movie you watched:

Friday, I watched Conan the Barbarian. I expected a cheesy B-movie, but what I got was a weird, rousing adventure epic. It was pretty good. Very visual. Not much dialogue. Arnold was perfect for this role. 4/5.

And that Basil Poledouris score!
    Youtube Video

Not even NOMINATED for the Oscar that year. Which was something of a crime.

• @ezekiel

Fair. I generally don't even go to the movies at all anymore because I usually don't like anything I end up seeing, even if its been critically praised. So I run the risk of missing out on things I might end up loving for the certainty that I haven't wasted my time or money.

Sounds like you are doing the same thing with CG movies. I heard Big Hero 6 is really great and same with How To Train Your Dragon but I haven't seen either to confirm.

I have that same Dirty Harry collection you posted there. I rewatched Magnum Force for the first time in forever a few months ago. Its pretty awful but I remember loving this movie as a kid. Not nearly as great as the original imo.

• Papillon

alt text

Powerful performance by Steve McQueen. Inspirational story. Escape from the brutal French colonial prison system thwarted multiple times, spirit crushed, and still he keeps trying. Beautiful score (Jerry Goldsmith) and visuals in the hot, luscious South American wilderness. Neat little details, like McQueen and Dustin Hoffman's teeth degrading. I also like the surreal aspects. Even some parts that aren't a dream feel almost dream-like. Made it feel more personal. I thought this movie was great. The Blu-ray looks pretty nice.

• Once Upon A Time In Hollywood:

I am more or less a fan of Tarantino's films. Some of them I like a lot less than others, but generally I enjoy his schtick. I think this is probably tied for my second favorite of his films with Pulp Fiction, behind Jackie Brown - which is my favorite. I think pretty much every Tarantino fan will like this movie. Just want to get that out of the way. And now the important part:

No Tarantino film has had more women's feet on screen. This is the feetiest movie he's ever made. I honestly think he might be quitting because I don't know that he can think of another excuse for more women to be walking around without shoes on than this. This movie even makes a point of showing you Brad Pitt's moccasins like 4 times just so it's not QUITE as strange when you just see Margot Robbie's dusty bare feet for like 4 minutes during the middle of this movie. There are probably 30 bare women feet in this movie. Maybe he's sad he's never going to be retiring and not able to make these foot fetish movies anymore and he tried to cram as many of them in this as he could? (you better believe that some hottie in Star Trek is gonna have a barefoot beach holodeck scene or something)

4/5 feet, i mean stars