Last movie you watched

• Banned

IT chapter 2
    The movie did feel a bit long. The pacing wasn't the greats. The movie wasn't too scary at all. It liked it better cuz jokes where pretty good once a while it didn't land for me.The casting was PERFECT.
    3.5/5

• It chapter 2
    If you read the book, you know what to expect - it's overlong, repetitive, full of clunky exposition, and objectively too weird to fit with what came before it. This adaptation toned down some of the more "out there" elements of the book, which I think greatly benefited the story overall. Seriously, there's a reason they don't stop shitting on the original ending throughout this movie. Overall not great, but the cast is dynamite and the visuals are occasionally spectacular. C+

• @naltmank said in Last movie you watched:

toned down some of the more "out there" elements of the book, which I think greatly benefited the story

I dunno man, I really wanted to see the story about how this is actually a fight between a giant turtle and a giant spider.

• Finally got to watch Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Man, I'm glad I went in blind. Didn't expect it to go where it did. It was weirder than i expected. Anyway, this was a fun time. I really loved the switch of camera styke when they showed the old films, although I didn't get why they didn't do the same during Rick's movie parts, that's a missed opportunity. Another thing I feel mixed about is the change of presentation style during half of the last act. Everything else was neato, I really got a kick of Cliff being a badass. The soundtrack was spot on too, they picked all the right bangers. Feelin a strong 8 to a light 9 on this one.

• Hustlers: Maybe I'm kinda jaded, but for a story about strippers ripping off wall street bankers, it's a little vanilla. J-Lo still got it tho.
    3/5

Good Boys:
    Liked it a lot, the innocence of the boys juxtaposes nicely with the situations they get themselves into. Couple of recurring jokes were called back one too many times, but overall sweet and funny. Obvious comparisons to other similar films, Superbad, etc but this holds it's own. I think I liked Booksmart slightly more this year, but still a solid 4/5

• Rambo Last Blood

Less a couple fantastic kills, Rambo Last Blood doesn’t hold a torch to the symphony of blood, gore, and quoteables that was Rambo (2008). A hilariously fantastic context is what made that movie great, but the consistent disturbing violence is what made it legendary.

Rambo LB is just a standard action flick. A ton of setup with some mundane attempts to make you care about the vulnerable female doesn’t really work but it’s at least resolved about 50-60% through the movie. Problem is that most of the action is back loaded into the final 10-12 minutes.

I thought Rambo (2008) was peak American high budget B-Movie but this just feels like B-Movie. Coming from a big Rambo / Stallone fan, this was pretty effortless. Again, maybe a few good kills but not worth a ticket.

1.5/5

• Goodfellas

The consensus on this UHD disc is unbelievable. People don't know how to calibrate their TVs. Or they have cheap TVs. I know my 900e isn't very high end, but I thought it looked really good. It's always been a dark, warm movie, so I don't know what people expected from the UHD. The added clarity is subtle but nice and the colors have so much depth, all behind a fine layer of grain. I'm glad I read user opinions on blu-ray.com instead of just going off the bad reviews.

By the way, I forgot how many minor characters are in The Sopranos. Even Paulie Gualtieri. Haven't seen this in a while.

• Ad Astra:

The problem with big space movies that insist on fetishistic shots of the grandeur of the universe is that they then try to juxtapose that against human drama, which more often than not seems petty an inconsequential to me on a galactic scale. Like, even Interstellar and etc. is a movie that tries to sell me on the premise that love is actually a universal force strong enough to overcome physics, space, and time. Uh... ok? Likewise, Ad Astra suffers from this and sort of ends up sniffing it's own farts just a little in the process. It's a beautiful movie, but it's Interstellar-lite. Movies about space keep trying to be 2001, but the most effective movies about space tend to be ones that don't linger on super detailed shots of nebulae or the rings of Saturn, but like Alien, focus on the people and makes their drama the biggest thing on screen.

Like during Alien, you're not sitting there thinking about the giant asteroid field full of glittering space dust or the wonder of a black hole bending spacetime. You're thinking about how the inside of the Sulaco is a death trap and it's a wonder any of these ships are insurable.

3/5

• Rambo: Last Blood

The first half of the movie is almost boring slow burn setup, the second half is basically hyper violent Home Alone.
    I think this film will induce a lot of boners in both the "doomsday prepper" and "guys who's dreams involve repelling a border invasion" crowds.
    It's not the most subtle of films. I agree with the previous poster about how this is mostly just an excuse to see cool traps and Rambo physically reaching into a man's body and breaking his bones with his bare hands. I dont think I have ever seen that before, and with the quantity and type of films I've seen - that's pretty impressive.

It's notable that Rambo illegally crosses the border in this film by running over an unprotected barbed wire border fence with his truck.

John Rambo: taking full advantage of Arizona's stand your ground laws.

2/5

• 0_1570202533889_SmartSelect_20191004-082144_Chrome.jpg

• @tokyoslim

I didn't want to know the last thing you said. You shouldn't have done that. Maybe it's not important for you but that's not how spoiler works.

• Watched Princess Mononoke. It's pretty good, I don't have much to complain about. The pacing is probably the best part about it, it never felt like it dragged on, or too rushed. I also like how it looks visually. The colors look nice, and the action parts are well animated. It never really pulled any emotional strings or made me drop my jaw in awe or anything like that, but it's a really fun watch. (7/10)

This is also the first Ghibli movie I actually watched the whole way through, I never got to see the other movies in full before, only clips. I might go for Spirited Away next.

• @bam541 Spirited Away is a good choice for beginners and usually the go-to.
    I'd also recommend Kiki's Delivery Service, my favorite movie of theirs and probably my favorite animated movie ever.

• @scotty sorry if that spoiled something for you or anyone else. I removed that part of my review for you.

I stand by what I said, and I don't really think it's a spoiler. It's part of such a well known story... This is like complaining about discussing the sinking of the boat in Titanic . Or that Bruce Wayne grows up to be Batman.

• @bam541 Don't skip Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind! Or Howl's Moving Castle!

• @tokyoslim

I disagree.

This is Joker's origin story, not Batman's. So I didn't have a clue about Thomas Wayne was going to be shot. Even when I saw the Bruce, I wouldn't think about it probably. Because they heavily stated that this is an independent story from the comics. I wouldn't think they would show a little bit from Batman's side.

So no, it wasn't obvious at all. This is coming from a comic book reader btw.

• Well, I disagree with your disagreement. :)
    Hope you enjoy the movie.

As far as the spoiled part of your comment: You are inferring things I didn't say.

• I watched 4 movies two weeks ago during film festival.
    Samurai Marathon
    A weird movie about samurai doing a marathon because the Lord deemed them grown weak and wants to make them stronger. 6/10
    Angel Has Fallen
    The 3rd movie. Not good but I had few laughs for stupid moments. 3/10
    Children Who Chase Lost Voices Down Below
    A Makoto Shinkai movie. It was surprisingly interesting lorewise. 7/10
    Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
    Haven't seen it in like 20 years. Still an excellent movie. 9/10

• Leviathan: The story of Hellraiser & Hellbound: Hellraiser II:

This is pretty much a behind the scenes look and retelling of the difficulties in making Hellraiser II for people who are fans of the movie. I think that people who haven't seen it before would be lost at best or uninterested at worst in the lengthy discussions of who came up with the ideas for scenes and such. There's some cool anecdotes though for people familiar with the films. 3/5

• Watched Joker. I was looking forward to seeing this after watching the first trailer when it came out, which amazed me quite a bit, and I'm happy to say that this is a pretty great movie. Joaquin Phoenix nailed it, he put up a wonderful performance, especially during the parts where the character acts aggressively. I also love how this movie looks: the cinematography is great, the camera movements and shot framing in many scenes stood out to me; the colors look natural and gritty, and it makes the environments looks so nice. The story is predictable and not as impactful as I wanted it to be, but it never really bothered me since they executed the important scenes so well in terms of cinematography and acting. (8/10)