Last movie you watched

• @naltmank Would you say "Man so loud! Always yelling. At least you didn't fall asleep?"

• Out of that list, I have not been able to rewatch Banana Split, because as far as I know it was not picked up for distro by anybody and therefore just remains one of the many films I see every year that just get put on a shelf in a warehouse and nobody ever sees again. A super sad way for a film, and the efforts and dreams of hundreds of people who worked very hard to make it, to die.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7755856/

• @tokyoslim I'm not as eloquent as those Korean Ladies, but yes.

• I've decided to watch at least one movie every single day this year and to catalogue the days of each.

1/1/20
    Shadows (1959) - 7/10
    Scanners (1981) - 7/10
    1/2/20
    La Notte (1961) - 9/10
    1/3/20
    Madonna: Confessions Tour Live from London (2006) - 8/10
    1/4/20
    Oldboy (2003) (4K) rewatch - 8/10
    1/5/20
    Django (1966) - 8/10
    Days of Heaven (1978) - 9/10

No idea what I'll watch tonight.

• @ezekiel lol let me know how that goes. 320 or so is close to my burnout range.

This is a fantastic yet gimmicky film. It’s funny because it plays out like each scene exists to make you feel tense, scared, sad, but the director has you wrapped around your finger and he gets you feeling the way he’s aiming for every scene.

They use tried and true techniques to achieve what they’re going for whether it’s horror, action, tension. Nothing is particularly new about this film but it knocks every scene out of the park.

My main problem with the film is that there is this consistent serendipity that moves the plot forward. The events are just as likely as a bird crapping on your head three times in one day but the bird is an airplane that happens to fall out of the sky right above you.

There is also a major annoyance I had with this river that gets introduced in the last 20 minutes and the logical side of my brain was trying to figure out how the movie will play out taking this river into account but then the script throws logic out of the window and I wish I knew that sooner.

It’s a great film. It reminds you that we all have it good and sometimes I need that reminder. From scene to scene everything is working: the set, the action, the horror. Hell, this movie has better horror scenes than most in the genre. That said, the lack of logic in the script at times sort of bothers me and the transitions between scenes are a bit crass.

7.5-8/10 (can’t decide)

• Ip Man 4:
    Donnie Yen is a dude that should be in more western movies. Not like, WESTERNS, but maybe also westerns. But like American movies. This movie is about Ip Man's journey to San Francisco to find a school for his headstrong son, not telling anyone he has cancer, visiting his pupil: Bruce Lee, and beating up racist members of the Marine Corps. I'm sure a large portion of this movie is fabricated, but Chinese Kung-Fu films have a long and proud tradition of fictionalizing the exploits of real life heroes like Ip Man and Bruce Lee. Donnie Yen's charisma is undeniable, though. And I think that made this an enjoyable watch. 3.5/5

Little Women:
    I missed the boat on this one when it came out. I can't watch EVERYTHING. In my defense, I did not particularly like Lady Bird. Little Women, however avoids the entitlement I felt saturated the previous Gerwig written/directed work and produces a fantastic adaptation of Little Women that I thoroughly enjoyed. The family dynamic between the sisters was incredible, and the petty squabbles, and jealousies, and devotion, and love were very realistic and touching. Laura Dern who's getting a lot of awards for Marriage Story this season - may be overlooked as Marmee March in this movie. I feel like her performance is brilliant and understated, but also warm and maternal. There's a talk she has with Jo about halfway through the film that really got to me. Top notch stuff. This would have been in my top 5 of last year had I seen it in time. Also worth noting, Alexandre Desplat remains my favorite film composer and his score is fantastic. 4.5/5

• Caught up on a couple summer movies I missed on my flight back to the motherland.

Toy Story 4
    Inessential, but still an overall solid movie. I was surprised at how funny it was at times, and these movies never fail to make me well up a bit. It doesn't have the emotional oomph of 3, but it's still worth a watch. Also the animation was mind blowing. Holy crap. B

X-Men: Dark Phoenix
    So in theory, this is my definition of an "airplane movie." Dumb and entertaining enough to hold your attention and keep your mind off of how miserable you are on a 13 hour flight. This movie made the flight seem so much longer than it really was. I don't get how this series went so wrong; First Class and Days of Future Past are legitimately great superhero movies in my opinion. This movie was arguably worse than Apocalypse. It lacked any compelling villains or character work, the action was tepid, and the whole movie I was distracted by the fact that Xavier, Hank, Magneto, and Mystique apparently haven't aged since the 60s. Seriously, they're supposed to be almost as old as Mckellen and Stewart were in the original X-Men movie from 2000. God, what a mess. I can't think of any redeeming qualities for this movie except for the fact that it ended. What a waste of a stellar cast. D-

• @tokyoslim said in Last movie you watched:

@ezekiel lol let me know how that goes. 320 or so is close to my burnout range.

I'll have to set some one hour movies aside for special occasions like Resident Evil 3. Or perhaps I'll get lazy and just decide 365 movies. I'm at eleven in my first nine days.

• @tokyoslim said in Last movie you watched:

ironically lacking much depth

you motherfucker.

• I know, right?

• I have watched Knives Out with Daniel Craig and it was a good movie, I am recommending it to everyone that likes movies with detectives.

• Uncut Gems
    I wasn't feeling this movie at first but it really grew on me as it went along.
    I was digging the soundtrack but it didn't really work with the movie at all.
    Anyways, I really liked it and Adam Sandler's performance was incredible.

• Finally got to see Parasite. Been waiting for this to show up at my local theaters, and I narrowly missed the last screening of it. I enjoyed this so much, what a great movie. The pacing is impeccable, everything flows naturally and it never stumbled even for a second. There's also a degree of respect that I really appreciate, showing little things that would mean much later in a way that doesn't distract my viewing experience at all. All of it makes it so easy to appreciate the amount of skill and thought that is put to this movie. This is an easy 9/10 for me.

• Watched 1917. I wish it fleshed out the characters and the emotional moments a bit more, and there's one moment where the music choice distracted me, but those are the only things that annoyed me. It's a really good movie, especially in the technical aspect. There's one scene in particular that will be stuck in my mind for a while, it looks so beautiful. 8/10

• Hey LA allies, Parasite is doing a showing down in the Ace Hotel Theatre, along with an introduction by Bong Joon Ho and a live orchestra performing the score. If you can afford it, this sounds like a great time!

https://theatre.acehotel.com/events/parasite-live-picture-event/

I'll finally be able to post my top 10 of the year after Sunday too.

• Like with Your Name, Shinkai-san is telling really what amounts to a love story here. But it's not a simplistic one, and I feel like the choices he presents in this movie are hard ones. In the end, it kind of reminds me a little of The Last of Us, not because there's any violent hospital shootout or anything, but in that a choice is presented whether to be selfish and happy, or selfless and maybe let everyone else be happy.

The animation is beautiful, and Tokyo is depicted in a hyper-realistic way that makes me ache to be back there. The scoring is excellent and the Japanese voice cast is great. (I saw it subbed)
    4.5/5

Shout out to GKids for all their attention to the Ghibli and Shinkai properties, as well as providing a great all-around catalog of things like MFKZ and Birdboy:The Forgotten Children.

• @tokyoslim Wish I could have felt the same.
    It felt weirdly underwhelming for me. Too many similar story beats that were present in Your Name.
    The story itself was also a bit uninteresting. And while the music was incredible, it felt out of place and made for some awkward scenes.
    I won't deny that it is such a pretty movie though, and an amazing experience in IMAX.

The cameos were a nice touch!