Last movie you watched

• The last two movies I saw were Hidden Figures and Rushmore. I want to start watching movies regularly again.. I've been spending all my free time gaming

I thought Hidden Figures was great. I'm a big space/nasa nerd so I'm into anything that relates to that subject. I also love when movies are made on lesser known subjects, stories or characters that played a big part in a more well known event. From what I can tell the film is actually pretty historically accurate as well, which is something I appreciate.

I'm not the biggest Wes Anderson fan but I've enjoyed all of his films that I've seen. Rushmore was no different. Its also on HBO right now if anyone's interested

• Managed to sneak me and my brother into a local press screening for Logan last night. It was awesome

• @tokeeffe9 I had the same thoughts as you (I think we're thinking the same thing without ruining the movie for others) and one of the thoughts that I had that I really liked is that perhaps it doesn't make sense to me because I don't understand the language and that if I did then maybe it would... its a bit of mental gymnastics that I'm willing to perform for an otherwise amazing film. I really loved this movie

• Global Moderator

@Mango Ya that's the thing. I actually don't want to think about it too much as the the self contained story is great but I can't help it. I'll spoiler what I am referencing.

Basically being able to see your future (and I guess past although not as important). One thing is that someone with that ability would realistically lose all emotions. They already know all the feelings they will have, there is no surprise in what will happen, how they will feel etc.

But the bigger issue is that this language is being thought to everyone in the world so everyone should have this ability and as 3rd dimensional beings, that just causes a huge amount of problems where everyone understands whats going to happen and genuinely no longer has a meaning or purpose.

So ya... I'm trying to think only about the movie but it's tough.

• @tokeeffe9 good points... definitely understand where you're coming from

• I saw The VVitch which has some good stuff but just comes off as self-defeating and even a little cowardly in the end.

It's a bit upsetting to me, because there is some really inspired imagery, but man, it isn't smartly strung together. It's a film but it still feels like a storyboard. Performances are pretty good all-round (the lead is great), but the scripting is so dogmatic and loud.

I'm surprised people found this slow. I'd say it isn't slow enough. There's an anxiety to start throwing conflict and death around, I would have much rather taken in the impressive period setting for what it was.

In the end it's surprisingly typical, and while (admirably) sticking to the tenets of isolated, god-fearing life, doesn't have much to say or develop its characters well enough to care much about all the suffering they undergo. However, I appreciate the effort and look forward to what Eggers does next.

• Watched Arrival a couple days back. As a translator, I couldn't help but love it. Also, am I the only one who thinks the ending is straight out of 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors? Not that it'd bad thing.

• I got in a weird conversation/argument the other day about Arrival. I can't really go into it without spoiling things, but let's just say it was incredibly weird.

Apparently I don't like the end of that movie because I have never experienced actual time travel, and therefore don't believe in it. And apparently that movie is super accurate, because homeboy is a legit time traveler? Ok then!

• Watched Silence (Martin Scorsese movies). Even though the movie was slow. It was such well acted and I found the plot very interesting and characters very intriguing.

• @TokyoSlim in your spoiler tag...

is homeboy the person you were having the conversation/argument with, and did he claim that the ending is super accurate? Haha

• @Tragosaurus yes. It's SUPER ACCURATE because he knows and he's done it.

• @TokyoSlim Haha what a guy. What else has he done? Does he also think Inception is super accurate.

• @Tragosaurus no see, he specifically mentioned that was bogus. Lol

I didn't talk to him that long. I politely excused myself from the conversation :)

• You see, that's where you swing a chair at his head and see if he ducks or not.

• My family dragged me to go see "A Dog's Purpose" and I regret it entirely. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs more than I love most members of my extended family but the narrator just totally grated on my nerves...and the plot was way too predictable.

• I saw A Cure For Wellness and I have very mixed feelings about it. It is a very upsetting movie and as far as horror goes there are a few extremely horrifying moments, so in that respect it is a complete success. It is also a visually stunning movie, a bit slow at times, and the story is decent but nothing mind blowing. I saw it with 2 other people and we all agreed that we wish we'd been warned in advance about one scene in particular, it could be incredibly traumatizing for a lot of people. In the least spoilery way I can put it, there is a scene of extreme sexual violence that is very upsetting and graphic. If you don't think that will bother you, you may very well love this movie but that scene alone made it a movie I never need to watch again.

• @TokyoSlim

It's not really about time travel. If you've read Slaughterhouse Five, it's a lot like that. I'm kind of scared to go into more details in case someone accidentally hovers over this text, but am down to discuss over PM if you're interested.

• @naltmank I'm Not the one you have to convince!

Talk to the time lord I met

• I saw John Wick Chapter 2. As a whole, I liked the 1st one better but end part and weapons in a sequel were great. Also choreography was amazing. It did have few dull moments but nothing dragged too long. Go watch it if you liked the 1st one at all.

• I've really not been putting in my cinema hours lately:

Multiple Maniacs - Was an experience. Also, "Cavalcade of Perversion" sounds like a Souls Boss and/or OSDM song.

Under the Shadow - Well-made horror film with some extra spice from its setting and thematic work. A worthy entry in the canon of slightly cerebral horror about maternal anxieties.