Last movie you watched

• Train to Busan (2016) was a pretty darn thrilling ride! Korean zombie horror on a train. Which is honestly one of my favourite milieus in films, games, TV etc. So yeah, I feel entertained and even more after seeing this. Some of the visuals and/or scenarios, situations, were surprisingly vivid, caught me off guard a few times. There was a solid sense of threat and unease which is for sure needed in a movie like this. I liked the child actress, a convincing kid. And the ending worked for me, it made me feel things. Nicely tied together.

• Terminator: Dark Fate
    It's really bad. Mediocre action, shoddy effects, and some of the worst writing I've seen in a long time. Performances are fine with the exception of Natalia Reyes, who's a bit of a dud. The story never escalates, and it ultimately feels like watching variations on the same theme for 2 hours. For a movie that's as loud and in your face as this one is, I almost fell asleep halfway through. I hated Genysis, but at least that movie was going for something. C-

• I really liked Terminator: Dark Fate. Probaby the 3rd best in the franchise for me. (admittedly not saying much, but it's much closer to #2 than #4) So... polarizing movie I guess.

• Blindspotting
    Easily one of the best movies I've seen in the past five years. Frequently hilarious while never losing sight of its message, Diggs and Casal create an incredibly honest and powerful look at gentrification and racial bias in Oakland. Don't want to say any more, but please don't skip this movie. It's only 96 minutes and available on HBO right now. A

• Was my top ranked film of last year @naltmank

• @naltmank have you seen the sequel yet?

• @spikewolf_26 If you mean the Starz spinoff, it's not out yet.

• Charlies Angels:
    A fun action movie that unfortunately probably didn't get marketed well enough. There's also the predictable backlash against anything resembling a movie in which women appear to be a main character. I'm also hearing a lot of people trotting out the tired "people don't want to see sequels, remakes and reboots" argument, which is patently and provably false. Look at the top 10 box office movies of the year if you don't believe me.

3.5/5

• @spikewolf_26 I heard there was a show in the works but as far as I know nothing's come of it yet. I will once it comes out, though.

• Joker. Phoenix does great performance though there were couple of moments that it felt a bit forced. Cinematography. Loved it. The scene where he was in the shadow was amazing.
    Now to movie itself. Don't think the script was good and in the end I felt empty on the whole movie. It was just not interesting at all.
    I can see why people like it just not for me. Don't need to watch it again and that tells a lot.
    6.5/10

• Hijōsen no Onna/Dragnet Girl
    1933 by Yasujiro Ozu
    A silent film live scored on stage by electronic artist Coupler.

Not a new movie, but one I hadn't seen before, and I'd wager most people haven't seen. It's an interesting Japanese gangster/hoodlum tale, but super tame in comparison to anything contemporary you might have seen. Pretty basic, barebones dialog cards. Not entirely sure if the translation is contemporary or antiquated, but it gets the point across. Undeniably badass costuming and some eye catching cinematography, even for an 86 year old silent film. Nearly every single person in this film chain smokes. Really enjoyed seeing all the old-school boxing promo posters.
    3_1574415880952_Dragnet_Girl_Yumeko_Aizome_Joji_Oka.png 2_1574415880952_Current_28224id_003_large.jpg 1_1574415880952_cjp8s81je17r1vg69214o3blz-dragnet-girl-yasujirō-ozu-3.0.2.1600.896.full.jpg 0_1574415880952_thenewyorker_movie-of-the-week-movie-of-the-week-dragnet-girl.jpg

Here's a trailer to give you a brief taste of what the scoring was like
    Youtube Video

All in all, very cool experience. I'm a sucker for live scored films. I've seen both The Highlander and Escape From New York live scored before by various artists and I highly recommend the experience if you ever get a chance to go see one.

• @tokyoslim said in Last movie you watched:

There's also the predictable backlash against anything resembling a movie in which women appear to be a main character.

This usually doesn't affect a lot when the movie is well received. This one wasn't.

• @scotty I'm specifically talking about how movies are received.

• @tokyoslim

From what you said, I got that movie's failing comes from weak marketing and backlash because of the women leads and I am saying marketing might be true but women lead part doesn't affect the movie's success in market when the movie is well received.

I didn't get the impression that you are talking about a general problem about cinema and instead about this movie's failure reasons.

• @tokyoslim I'm sure if you look at certain parts of the internet you'll find idiots criticizing a movie purely for having female leads, but there's no way they represent a significant enough part of the global population to explain the box-office failure of the movie. If that were the case, then Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel would have bombed too. Or the Alien series. Or hell, the older Charlie's Angels movies.

On the contrary, there's never been more demand for diverse protagonists than there are today. Don't let a very, very, very small vocal minority make you believe otherwise.

• @Scotty I'm talking about public opinion, not box office receipts.
    Box office is a part of it, but I'm referring to the whole of it.

I'm talking about public opinion, not box office receipts.
    Box office is a part of it, but I'm referring to the whole of it.

Yeah, okay. I still think ''backlash'' crowd is not as strong as before for at least last 5-6 years.

• @Scotty ok
    I don't believe that has anything to do with what I said. Even if it's less prevalent (which I don't think it is) it's still happening predictably.

I don't believe that has anything to do with what I said.

Like I said in the beginning. I thought you were talking about movie's failure reasons and not a general cinema problem.