Last movie you watched

• @Tearju-Engi I also thought John Wick 2 did not live up to the original. It was ok, but lacked the focus and emotional depth of the first movie. People may laugh, but I feel that's what elevated JW1 above an ordinary revenge flick. (aside from the great stuntwork)

• I just watched Manchester by the Sea... It was an absolute masterclass of acting, with some of the most nuanced and human performances I've ever seen, but holy shit, not even all the people saying "it's really depressing" prepared me for how real it was. I think I was expecting just a regular movie that makes you sad in certain scenes, but the actors, especially Affleck, Williams, and Hedges, made it so deeply affecting that I am still reeling. It's not "a cry your eyes out" movie, it's a "sit down and reflect on your life and your relationships because all of it could be gone in an instant and you'll be left hollow and empty and you may never recover" movie. Big recommend from me!

• @naltmank One of my former college professors posted on FB today saying the acting was terrible and it was one of the most boring movies he had ever watched. I couldn't help but laugh because I thought of your comments and how polar opposite they were.

• I saw Get Out yesterday and I loved it. Steady pacing, great acting, a good story, and realistic horror.

If you're a fan of Jordan Peele's work you'll most likely enjoy this film. As a horror movie it is incredibly unsettling, they do a great job making sure you always feel like something isn't quite right, the things characters say are always off in just the right way to make you question everything that is going on and who they are. I thought there was the perfect amount of humor and it all felt incredibly natural, not shoehorned in at all. It does occasionally rely on startling noises to get a jump but it isn't excessive like lots of horror/suspense flicks these days. I personally wasn't surprised by the story too much, they did a great job giving just enough hints and foreshadowing that you can piece everything together if you pay attention but if you're just along for the ride it will be equally entertaining. I think it is best going into the movie with only a little info. A lot of the best and most interesting moments were included in the trailer, so I found myself anticipating certain things or remembering what was going to happen just from what the trailers had revealed.

• Got into another press screening, saw Ghost in the Shell.....it's alright, better then Dragon Ball Evolution, although that's a pretty low bar.

• @DMCMaster in case of Dragon Ball evolution, the bar is 2 feet underground... At least in my opinion...

• @jipostus
    Like I said, the bar is set pretty low.

• I saw Logan the other day.

Reviewers are being fairly hyperbolic about it, considering I've seen statements like it "transcends" the genre. That's not to say I didn't have fun, it's certainly worth watching, but I don't think excessive gore and F-bombs necessarily make it a better movie. It's nice to see Wolvie let loose but the movie is extremely heavy-handed with its themes and tends to repeat them without any reason to. Running well over 2 hours, there's many scenes that could have been shortened or cut entirely to help out the pacing. In the last 30 minutes alone, Logan passes out/falls asleep at least 5 times, confusingly.

It does however, nail its tone perfectly. This is a movie (usually) focused on more of the realistic side of things, instead of cramming in as many heroes as possible in its runtime. The trailers gave me some serious Last of Us vibes and those carry throughout parts of the movie. Wolverine may in fact be the least interesting member of the X-Men (to me) but I did care about the fella for the first time ever, so that's an accomplishment in itself.

7/10, would watch again.

• @SabotageTheTruth whenever i see wolverine in that movie he reminds me of joel from the last of us for some reason

• @FF7Cloud Yeah, the vibes are super similar. Gruff old man taking small girl across the country. Gruff old man says he doesn't care, but he does. I was expecting some Clickers to pop out at any moment.

• @SabotageTheTruth they even look simular

• I watched Hell or High Water the other day. I don't know if I'm just being more selective with movies recently, but I feel like I haven't seen a movie I disliked since Suicide Squad (and even that I didn't hate as much as I should). Anyway, onto this one.

I absolutely loved it. The movie's opening scene is beautiful in its efficiency: within five minutes or so, the movie introduces its style, sets its tone, and explains exactly who its characters are and how they operate. The screenplay is extremely effective in that relationships are explained through actions, rather than expository dialogue. I thought Ben Foster was mesmerizing, somehow managing to outshine the always excellent Jeff Bridges. Acting aside, the movie is also extremely well paced and edited. I don't think there was a single scene I felt dragged on too long or should have been cut. It's a great example of how the western genre can be modernized in a fresh and exciting way. I think just about everyone could appreciate this movie - it's well-made from a technical and artistic standpoint, it has ace performances, a great screenplay, and on top of all that, it's just really entertaining. Definitely check it out if you haven't seen it yet!

• Global Moderator

I went to the cinema (twice) over the last two days for the first time in about 9 months. It felt good. Also it was only around $2.50 per movie!

Logan - I thought it was great and easily the best movie associated with marvel in a long time (Not a huge bar for me as I think most of them are rubbish to okay). This movie has a lot of things those movies lack. A self contained story, memorable characters, actual consequences. It has some minor issues but overall it turned out to be a far more powerful movie than I was expecting. Would definitely recommend.

John Wick 2 - When you go to a movie like this, you know what to expect. I personally love it when a movie just goes all in in terms of it lore and wackiness. This one might have taken it a little far with how linked this underworld is (Is every single person an assassin!) but you're here for the action and it doesn't disappoint. Probably not as memorable as the first ( I miss Defoe) but still an enjoyable movie.

• @SabotageTheTruth I loved Logan. Easily the best Xmen related movie, imho. I liked it better than X2, though it's unfair to compare the two.
    But, your criticisms are pretty fair. The movie was a little long, and they did hit you over the head with some of those themes. Not to mention it suffers from the villain issues so many superhero movies have. It was too bad, since I love Richard E Grant, and I think he could have been better used. Caliban also was only in that movie as a plot device, I would have preferred an established Xmen character.
    The acting though was good. Patrick Stewart is a treasure, and Jackman did well with this beaten, older version of a character he's played for so long. The Girl playing Laura also did a solid job. The action scenes were also fun

The best thing, for me at least, was that Hugh Jackman got to go out in a fitting way. Hopefully he sticks to his guns and retires from the character. While the Shane themes were beaten over our heads, when Laura does that speech over his grave, I didn't care. This movie also shows why a main character death is better when there is history. I cared that Logan died cause I had 17 years with him, unlike Superman who only had two movies.

• Moonlight

Holy shit!!! that's a good movie, and it works well on so many levels. Watched with 3 friends from work, as we were talking about it I was saying that I wouldn't put it over Arrival (haven't watched La La Land), but the more I think about it, the more I think the movie was masterfully built and executed.

• @Inustar Maybe I'm a monster, but I felt a lot more when

the family they stayed with was murdered than actually seeing Wolverine die/get buried because well... I walked into the movie pretty much expecting his death.

Although I'm fairly certain Hugh Jackman won't return to the role, Patrick Stewart instantly changed his stance as soon as the movie was released, haha. Either he did it to help raise hype for Logan, he was offered a ton of money, or he sincerely just happened to change his mind in a very coincidental time. Either way, I don't mind, I love me some Stewart as Professor X.

• Logan was excellent.

Surprising The Last of Us echo's with the story. So pleased a film like this got made, loved the violence, how real it felt and how far removed from typical superhero movie tropes it was.

• @SabotageTheTruth yeah...

It was less of the death itself, and more of Laura crying and calling him daddy. The family though I totally knew was going to die the second Logan agreed to have dinner with them.

• @Inustar Lesson learned: Never have dinner with a Canadian.

• Trainspotting 2 special preview screening with Director Danny Boyle in attendance for a Q&A.
    I liked the movie, thought it was a very good response to the first movie.