Last movie you watched

• Hey LA allies, Parasite is doing a showing down in the Ace Hotel Theatre, along with an introduction by Bong Joon Ho and a live orchestra performing the score. If you can afford it, this sounds like a great time!

https://theatre.acehotel.com/events/parasite-live-picture-event/

I'll finally be able to post my top 10 of the year after Sunday too.

• Like with Your Name, Shinkai-san is telling really what amounts to a love story here. But it's not a simplistic one, and I feel like the choices he presents in this movie are hard ones. In the end, it kind of reminds me a little of The Last of Us, not because there's any violent hospital shootout or anything, but in that a choice is presented whether to be selfish and happy, or selfless and maybe let everyone else be happy.

The animation is beautiful, and Tokyo is depicted in a hyper-realistic way that makes me ache to be back there. The scoring is excellent and the Japanese voice cast is great. (I saw it subbed)
    4.5/5

Shout out to GKids for all their attention to the Ghibli and Shinkai properties, as well as providing a great all-around catalog of things like MFKZ and Birdboy:The Forgotten Children.

• @tokyoslim Wish I could have felt the same.
    It felt weirdly underwhelming for me. Too many similar story beats that were present in Your Name.
    The story itself was also a bit uninteresting. And while the music was incredible, it felt out of place and made for some awkward scenes.
    I won't deny that it is such a pretty movie though, and an amazing experience in IMAX.

The cameos were a nice touch!

• @thedemonpirate said in Last movie you watched:

Too many similar story beats that were present in Your Name.

That may be the case. I didn't do a rewatch of Your Name before this or anything. Been a few years since i've seen it.
    I think the consequences of their actions were really what stood out to me, and that was not present at all in Your Name.

I didn't find it uninteresting. Though i did anticipate a more bittersweet ending, It did not unfold how I thought it would, so I was happy about that.

Clearly alternate universe cameos though. lol The Shinkai multiverse

• @tokyoslim said in Last movie you watched:

It did not unfold how I thought it would, so I was happy about that.

Yeah that's something I really liked and appreciate about it.

Drowned Tokyo looked sick as fuuuck.

• @tokyoslim Ah I missed that when it played here for like a day.. hopefully it gets a little bit of a wider release.

• Ni no Kuni
    It was ok. Using many cliché we are used to and all. 6.5/10

• Iron Fists and Kung Fu Kicks is a pretty good doc on Netflix about the origin and rise in popularity of Kung Fu movies. Very happy to see the bit about Wakaliwood at the end. Saw a couple of those movies a few years ago, including the one starring the rando white dude who got super excited and just flew to Uganda cause he wanted to be in Ugandan martial arts films.

Youtube Video

• Madonna: Ciao, Italia! - Live from Italy (1988)
    alt text

Very nice representation of that era of her music, her first three albums. I loved hearing the band just jam out on some of those tunes, expanding on them more than in the album versions. She has so much fun on stage. Her energy, dancing and playful theatrics with the other performers make it so much more entertaining than if it was just a singer standing around. The crowd, evidently proud of her Italian ancestry (which she exploited by speaking to them in Italian at times and mentioning her family there), was crazy for her. What a showman! Would watch it again. I'd post the YouTube version, but it has much less clarity and pop than the DVD version and its 1536 kbps PCM track.

• Army of Darkness - 6/10

I liked The Evil Dead and, to a lesser extent, Evil Dead 2, more, for not being as slapstick, and the first especially for still being a horror movie. I just didn't find this funny or clever.

• Finally saw Parasite, and... wow. I'm not gonna be able to say anything about it that thousands of people haven't said already, but damn it was good. One of my favorite third acts in film. I was able to see it alongside a live orchestra (which was introduced by Bong Joon Ho himself) which added to the experience immensely. I don't think I like it as much as Memories of Murder, but it's very close. I'll have my year-end list up after I see it again.

On a side-note, I saw Cameron Monaghan there, who played Cal Kestis in Jedi Fallen Order! LA is pretty rad sometimes.

• @capnbobamous said in Last movie you watched:

I was able to see it alongside a live orchestra (which was introduced by Bong Joon Ho himself) which added to the experience immensely.

I'm so jealous you got to go to that.

• @tokyoslim Bong said that we were the first people to see this, which makes me thing the show is gonna go on the road. You may still have a chance.

• so you're saying there's a chance dot gif

• I join the club and praise Parasite now finally. Man, that's a refreshing film! A unique story with a really nice mix of dark comedy and suspense. Loved the characters. And the directing and cinematography were also really pleasant to the eye, well chosen camera angles that kept the film exciting and made you feel involved. The house was a great setting for everything.

The audience even got cool dramatic posters as gifts here, it was the premiere night here in Finland (finally).

• Despite the movie looking like hot garbage, I kinda gotta see Aladdin because A) The actress who plays Jasmine is really damn attractive, and B) despite how much people shit on Guy Ritchie films, I seem to like the ones everybody hates the most.

• @dipset said in Last movie you watched:

The actress who plays Jasmine

She was also great in the new Charlie's Angels

• Michael Jackson Live in Bucharest (1992) on DVD.

So many Romanians passed out, holy crap. Cool entrance and exit, plenty of awesome moments in between, some of my favorites being the live gravity lean and crane ride.

alt text

Great show.

• @ezekiel Have you seen Queen Rock Montreal?