Last movie you watched

• @irongrey said in Last movie you watched:

I wouldn't be so sure. Life changes in unexpected manners and it doesn't bode well for us to grasp too much to old concepts.

I'll stick with the old concept until it's gone. Netflix and Vudu always look crappy on my high speed 90 Mbps connection. Disney Plus is the only one that looks good (although, not as good as the disc). Makes me wonder if Comcast is throttling Netflix.

I feel like these companies would come together and create one streaming service if they really cared about making money off all their titles. There are probably a lot of people, myself included, who might be interested in streaming if the market wasn't so segmented. Netflix almost never has the title I'm looking for. There are so many movies that just aren't available on the major services, ones they could be making money off. I know from speaking with and listening to people and browsing forums that most subscribers won't even watch something if it's not available on Netflix, Hulu or Disney Plus, but I bet they do still wish their first choices for streaming had more offerings. Paying for multiple subscriptions a month in order to access only some of cinema seems so self-defeating when I could just buy the movies I want and never have to worry about the licenses running out. It's only gonna get worse as more studios try to get a piece of the pie and take their licenses to their own services. I expect more Disney Plus scenarios in the future. I also don't have to wonder if a movie is supposed to look better on my connection (though, most of the time, it's obvious to me that it should look better). Better sound too.

Some people think it's so strange that I collect movies on disc, which makes me think a lot of them have just ditched physical media because it's the norm. They probably think ditching physical media future-proofs them, but I bet I'll still be able to play almost all my licenses long before their services of choice lose them. Factory-printed Blu-ray discs have very long shelf-lives. Besides, I can back up my discs. Eventually, I'll get a UHD capable drive, like the LG WH16NS60, and rip those discs into MKVs too. I can make space in my apartment. Space is not worth so much to me that I'd surrender to all the drawbacks of streaming.

Netflix DVD really helps too. They have a far more expansive collection than the three major streaming services combined, because by law a library can rent out any movie or book they want. There's no licensing issue. Sadly, because most people have switched to streaming, there are only about thirteen Netflix shipping centers left in the country. I used to be able to rent six discs a week. Not anymore. Also, some titles that used to be available on Blu-ray are now only available on DVD. I'll likely keep subscribing until the service is gone.

The studios don't want you to have any ownership, which makes me even more resistant to give up discs.

• Tigertail
    First impression: this movie is gorgeous. Yang really breathes life into his settings, allowing you feel the vastness of the countryside and the grime of the factories. The central performance from Tzi Ma is fairly strong, but one of the pitfalls of having a movie so singularly focused on such a reserved protagonist is that the movie as a whole never quite manages to reach the emotional catharsis that it's so desperately searching for. It's also a rare movie that I feel is too short, and would have benefitted from an extra 30 minutes or so to flesh out some of the supporting characters and relationships, with Christine Ko's character in particular getting short shrift. Still, this is a movie that I feel is important to watch, and portrays the Asian-American experience in a way that I feel few others have. Even if you are not the child of immigrants, you likely know someone who is, and this captures the immigrant story in a way that is both honest and disheartening. It shows how the little sacrifices are just as important as the big ones, and that in the end you may not even realize what you've lost until it's too late. B-

• I just saw The Brood for the first time, and I hated it! I truly can't remember the last time a film has made me feel as gross as this one has. It's so bleak and hopeless, and it says absolutely nothing. Damn you Cronenberg!

• I liked The Brood. Found it entertaining body horror with a pretty decent story.

What I've watched since I last posted:

4/4
    Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors - 1965, Soviet Union, Sergei Parajanov, DVD, 6/10
    4/5
    Elevator to the Gallows - 1958, France, Louis Malle, 2006 Criterion Collection DVD, 8/10
    Madonna: Sticky & Sweet Tour - 2010, Blu-ray, first rewatch, 7/10
    4/6
    Speed - 1994, Jan de Bont, rewatch, 2006 Blu-ray, 8/10
    -Was waiting for the inevitable 4K release before I rewatched this after like fifteen years, but it looks like that's never gonna happen now. Thanks, Disney, for sitting on all those Fox titles you bought. Find it so weird that it's rated so high by critics and so low by audiences. Such a well done action movie.
    4/7
    Never Again - 2001, Eric Schaeffer, DVD, 6/10
    Janet: The Pleasure Principle (Music video from "Janet Jackson: Design of a Decade" DVD, rewatch)
    Janet: Black Cat (Music video from "Janet Jackson: Design of a Decade" DVD, rewatch)
    4/9
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 2019, Quentin Tarantino, Blu-ray, 7/10
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail - 1975, UK, Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam, first rewatch, 2015 Blu-ray, 7/10
    4/10
    Wild Strawberries - 1957, Sweden, "Ingmar Bergman's Cinema" Blu-ray boxset, first rewatch, 9/10
    4/11
    Titanic - 1997, James Cameron, rewatch, 2012 Blu-ray, 8/10
    4/12
    Anastasia - 1997, animation, Don Bluth and Gary Goldman, 2015 Blu-ray, first rewatch, 7/10
    The Red Shoes - 1948, UK, Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, Criterion Collection DVD, 8/10
    4/13
    ~2019-11-22 to 2020-4-13
    TV: The X-Files seasons 1 to 3 (rewatch) from the "Complete Series" Blu-ray boxset
    -Started season 4 same day
    4/14
    Amour - 2012, France, Michael Haneke, 2013 Blu-ray, 9/10
    4/15
    Michael Jackson - Live at Wembley, July 16, 1988 ("Bad" tour) DVD, 8/10
    -Great concert, mediocre filming and cameras.
    https://i.imgur.com/FeblYTW.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/LmvD4LV.jpg
    4/16
    True Lies - 1994, James Cameron, rewatch, DVD, 7/10
    4/17
    True Romance - 1993, Tony Scott, DVD, 7/10
    4/18
    The Dead Pool - 1988, Buddy Van Horn, 2010 Blu-ray from the Dirty Harry collection, 6/10
    Witness - 1985, Peter Weir, DVD, 8/10
    4/19
    Frenzy - 1972, UK, Alfred Hitchcock, DVD, 8/10
    Madonna: The Girlie Show: Live Down Under - 1993, DVD, first rewatch, 7/10
    -Blond Ambition Tour > Drowned World Tour > Who's That Girl Tour > The Girlie Show World Tour > Confessions Tour > Sticky & Sweet Tour
    4/21
    Wicked City - 1987, Japan, animation, Yoshiaki Kawajiri, third rewatch since 2009-07-22, 2019 BD, 7/10
    4/22
    Nights of Cabiria - 1957, Italy, Federico Fellini, second rewatch, 2020 UK "Vintage World Cinema" Blu-ray, 10/10
    -Formerly Out of print Criterion DVD, now the best looking Fellini movie.
    https://i.imgur.com/aYQdJm4.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/KMsIASC.png
    4/23
    Roman Holiday - 1953, William Wyler, DVD, 8/10
    4/24
    The Great Silence - 1968, Italy, Sergio Corbucci, western, DVD, 8/10
    -Sergio Corbucci western with actor Klaus Kinski, music by Ennio Morricone and lots and lots of snow. Entertaining. The ending took me by surprise. It was a DVD rental, but I will eventually be getting the Blu-ray. I watched it in Italian. May try the English dub next time, since both versions are dubbed anyway.
    4/25
    The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum - 1939, Japan, Kenji Mizoguchi, 2016 Criterion Blu-ray, 7/10
    The Evil Dead - 1981, Sam Raimi, 2018 UHD, first rewatch, 7/10

• Due to quarantine, I finally got around to watching John Wick 2.

Not as good as John Wick 1 IMO, but still pretty good.

• @crepe I agree with you, but I think it's not a popular opinion.

• I finally watched Midsomer after hearing so much about it. That my friends is how you do horror. Amazing movie.

• Tried to watch An Elephant Sitting Still the other day.. I was just finding it way too slow even during the first hour and didn't think I'd make it through another 3. I'll give it another shot though. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for it

• @faaip That's a fantastic film, but it's very bleak and novelistic. I'm not sure how well it would play at home, especially since the entire look of the film is built with hazy midtones---exactly the sort of thing a lower bitrate would ruin. But the story really builds on itself well. I found it extraordinarily moving. Shame about the director, he could have had an incredible career.

• @tokyoslim Haha, interesting. I enjoyed the narrative structure in the first and the action scenes more.

• @faaip

I don't know about the movie but maybe you can try it like a mini-series. 1 hour per day maybe?

• @ringedwithtile Yeah man I'm definitely gonna give it another try.. I've been looking forward to it for awhile

@Scotty I was actually thinking that haha. At least do it in two sessions

• @ezekiel said in Last movie you watched:

What I've watched since I last posted:

4/4
    Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors - 1965, Soviet Union, Sergei Parajanov, DVD, 6/10

Cool to find someone else who's seen this! ^_^

I wouldn't call it a great film, but I like seeing these kind of down-to-earth, slices of old Slavic life. I recommend, in kind of a similar vein, Quiet Flows The Don (1957).

• Lu Over the Wall
    Premise: a depressed middle schooler's life changes when he meets a mermaid that helps him reconnect with the world through their shared love of music. While the plot is simple and suffers from some scattershot storytelling, there's a surprising amount of thematic depth that, paired with Yuasa's signature animation style, makes this absolutely worth the watch. This movie would actually make a great double-feature with Yuasa's version of Devilman Crybaby. Lots of similar themes, especially in regards to how quickly humanity gives in to judgment and prejudice, but whereas Devilman is nihilistic and bleak, Lu focuses instead on the beauty in tearing down those walls, and the joy that comes with it. I'm always hesitant when movies/shows harp on the "Power of Music" because I rarely think that the music is of high enough quality to warrant such a message (highly subjective, of course, but I think shows like Carole and Tuesday fall hard into this trap). That said, this movie sidesteps that issue by focusing not on the importance of "One Song to Save the World," but rather the basic humanity and emotion that comes with the art form. Does it teeter into the realm of sentimentality? Absolutely, but it works because the emotion behind it is pure and beautiful. Either that or I'm just a sucker. B+

• Today I watched Chunking Express, and damn I liked it a lot. I had previously seen In the Mood for Love, which is also by Wong Kar-wai, and while I liked it quite a bit I didn't connect with it like most people had. This one though, I think I'm gonna be returning to this one on rainy days because of how meaningful it is to me. It is gorgeously shot and surprisingly optimistic, and Tony Leung is without a doubt one of the best actors of his generation.
    5 Stars.

P.S. follow me on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/aidanvilchis/

• @capnbobamous It really is such a beautiful movie. :)

• The classic Quentin Tarantino Presents intro and outro to Chungking Express
    Youtube Video

• @tokyoslim Whoa thanks for pointing this out to me. I knew Tarantino was the reason it got such an audience in America, but it's cool seeing him so passionate about it.

• @capnbobamous Yeah, we talked about how many films QT/Rolling Thunder released in the US during the Reaction Shots a few months ago and Ian reminded me about these intros.

I think that it's hilarious that Tarantino's camera is slowly rotating back and forth between these extreme Dutch Angles. What a nerd. lol

• @tokyoslim I also found it very funny that he decided to wear a jacket after the intro when presumably they filmed both parts at the same time.