Nier Automata (PC/PS4)

• Just tried the demo for this and absolutely loved it, feels like it might really be the dream matchup of Platinum gameplay and Yoko Taro story. Even as someone who HATED Nier, this seems incredibly good, a really nice graphical style and phenomenal music help a lot too

Who else tried it?

• I really liked it, and i love the first Nier, so I was getting this no matter what. I'm glad that the gameplay seems good, but to me the most important thing is that the story is good, so hopefully it won't dissapoint in that respect.

• I did not know what to expect from this, but it was sooo smooth. I was blown away by the gameplay, it just felt right. You can't not go "oh hell yeah" on the inside while playing this. My intetrested meter went from a brisky 6 to a solid 9.2.

• am looking forward to trying this out may not be at launch but im still gonna get it

• @FF7Cloud Yeah, March is a ROUGH month for this game to come out (it's PS4 only). A lot of the hardcore / Japanophile gamers will be buying a new console for Zelda. Automata will have to make due with the part of that demographic that's too jaded to be into a new Zelda.

• I saw the E32016 trailer, got spine chills.
    Played the Demo, and am now interested in the game.
    I'm confused about the controls, but I'll practice it once the game is out.

@Haru17 said in Nier Automata:

@FF7Cloud Yeah, March is a ROUGH month for this game to come out (it's PS4 only). A lot of the hardcore / Japanophile gamers will be buying a new console for Zelda. Automata will have to make due with the part of that demographic that's too jaded to be into a new Zelda.

Not quite. A few reasons: Even though that Nier is quite "weird" (because of the artist' wacky sense of game design, to put it lightly), the game is exclusive to PlayStation 4, so Sony will sell this shit to everyone, and anyone. And it should be sold that way, because the game has multiple genres in one. At the core, it's an action-RPG, but you also got 2D sidescroller/platformer, you got top-down action/shooter, you got DMC-style gameplay with bullet hell, you got mission-based "open world" (again, putting it lightly), there are some elements of puzzles, but only in small quantities in the demo, I'm sure there'll be more - the point is, this game seems to be catering to a wide range of players.

Now, for the negative, as in, it will face some challenges because of: You're playing an android in a robot/android world, and your protagonist is a woman in a android's body. Right now, the industry has not embraced diversity in a way that - It's like this, there are some players who don't have a problem with women in games, but some, if not most, will have a problem with women as your protagonist, your avatar. The Last of Us faced the same challenge at some point, but word of mouth spread, and boy, did it spread out.

• @Carlos I think we're abusing the poor little ARPG genre again. Nier is an action or even hack-and-slash game. There's different weapons and items sets, but that by no means makes this game an RPG 'at the core.' You could argue story, and we'll have to see, but I am in true disbelief that anyone would call this game with a very defined protagonist and move set an "RPG."

Next, I hear the feminist criticism, but I don't think that matters to the — ultimately niche — audience that Platinum's games sell to. Their small audience has been acclimated to female players characters in Bayonetta and, to a lesser extent, Okami. I don't think the female protagonist will do much to hurt the sales that the entire rest of the aesthetic and premise haven't already.

And you'd think that if Sony were planning to market this game they'd put the demo somewhere findable on the Playstation store. Indeed anywhere accessible by search or in the top seven or so panels.

• @Haru17 said in Nier Automata:

@Carlos I think we're abusing the poor little ARPG genre again. Nier is an action or even hack-and-slash game. There's different weapons and items sets, but that by no means makes this game an RPG 'at the core.' You could argue story, and we'll have to see, but I am in true disbelief that anyone would call this game with a very defined protagonist and move set an "RPG."

Next, I hear the feminist criticism, but I don't think that matters to the — ultimately niche — audience that Platinum's games sell to. Their small audience has been acclimated to female players characters in Bayonetta and, to a lesser extent, Okami. I don't think the female protagonist will do much to hurt the sales that the entire rest of the aesthetic and premise haven't already.

And you'd think that if Sony were planning to market this game they'd put the demo somewhere findable on the Playstation store. Indeed anywhere accessible by search or in the top seven or so panels.

1. Have you paused the game in the demo, yet? Look around. There's CLEARLY RPG elements in there.
    2. Game companies try their very best to sell to the widest audience possible. Platinum Games expanded their scope with Metal Gear Rising. Bayonetta sold pretty well, but that was because of other factors, but under Nintendo's exclusivity with B2, the franchise had more access to more people because - Nintendo.
    3. I found it easily. Just search 'Nier' and went down the list. "Demo" then click "download."

Just for the record I don't have a problem with main characters being women. I am just trying to see it from another perspective, am really trying to tell you that there are people who don't like women in games or otherwise. In fact, during the development of Last of Us or U4 - I forget the news article it was meant for, but during a market test of sorts, to get feedback on females in games - this guy stood up to Naughty Dog and said: "Not this bullshit again, c'mon!" In response to having a female lead or NPC, or side kick, or something, but I do remember that vividly.

• @Carlos I agree with your point about the deleterious effect of sexism on the sales of games with female protagonists. I'm not arguing that, just saying that I don't think it will have an acute or dominant effect on the sales of Automata.

The rest of your points? Maybe about the demo's discoverability, but I think it's splitting hairs to call this an "RPG/ARPG" and wildly generalizing to say that Sony will try to sell this game. They haven't tried to market Gravity Rush 2 for anything and that game is demonstrably more 'exclusive' to their platform — Sony' owns it and will receive literally all of the gross profits.

• The only people who will dislike the women in Nier are people who don't play video games anyway, like Full MacIntosh. On Twitter the majority of people I follow are the ones you'd accuse of doing so, but not a single one criticises Nier Automata, the only people who do are the 3 letter journos and activists, people who still go to NeoGAF and the only 80k people who still watch MTV News unironically.

And about tha ND stuff, the guy was upset about the bs fight where you can't land a single hit on that black woman, which is obviously only done to avoid criticism from their BFFs.

And now another rant: Who thought it's a good idea to hide DEMOS behind the PS+ paywall? That's the most counterproductive bullshit, don't you want as many people as possible play that demo?

• I went from "No-buy not even going to look at it" to "A slight blip on the radar" I'm not super impressed by it, the game however is VASTLY improved over the original just based on the combat alone which is what I expected platinum would bring to the table.

However, I see the same attack strings and move patterns I've seen in all of their previous action games, and it's just....ho-hum same ol same ol to me. But I can't fully judge it until I've seen the final product and witnessed all of the weapons in the game.

The camera changes between 2D and isometric I could also do without.

Otherwise it's a nice LOOKING game as well.

But yeah, I'll maybe play it when there's a sale or I find a used copy. But it's not a day one or even year one purchase for me.

• @Haru17 yea ill be getting a switch with my income tax but also alot of games coming out in q1

• For the record, I don't agree with Musou's comments. Except maybe the one about demos, who knows?

But yeah, I'm a feminist and I probably would find his Twitter follows to be deplorable. Just going by the odds.

• im fine with a female protagonist as long as shes female because they want her to be not because they feel she should be if that makes sense

• @FF7Cloud I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's a substantive distinction in our current culture(s). No one's holding a gun to writers' / developers' heads to make their leads anything but white men.

• @FF7Cloud Pretty much.

About the PS+ thing, I was wrong, it's only like that in my country because of stupid age rating nonsense that requires PSN to hide 16+ (Nier's rating) and 18+ demos behind a paywall.
    US PSN doesn't has that, downloading now.

• @Haru17 but white men are so boring im 3/4 white dude

• @Haru17 I want to agree with you, but if you've paid any attention to anything in gaming over the last 5 years there's clear evidence to the contrary.

Many censorship problems, changes, etc come up because of this.

There is indeed a "Gun" put to their heads, it's called controversy, sales, and reviews from biased individuals that fault games and score them lower JUST for having "Fan service" Gamespot, IGN, Kotaku, and Polygon are all guilty therein.

Most japanese developers don't care, and their characters are generally white or white "Looking", and western developers are caught in the middle, do they take the risk? It's 9 times out of 10 guaranteed that if their game has no PoCs and/or women they'll be called out on in just from the announcement trailer before people even know what the game will have in it, Just look at the RDR2 outrage on day one.

Then, if they make a female lead they have to be careful how they write her since everyone will be psychoanalyzing it for any tropes/stereotypes, misportrayals of characteristics/mannerisms/body image. Does she get clevage? Do they risk alienating any male players by making her too heroic and not very sexy? What about the female playerbase that LIKES fan service? What about the ones that idolize an image they can't achieve and thereby live vicariously through sexy character archetypes?

What about her love interests? If she's straight then it no longer matters that it's a female lead because then it's made for the male players. If she's not straight then just how do they portray her homosexuality as to not make it again look like tokenism? If she has no love interest at all then it's not diverse enough.

I'm sorry but there's a lot that goes into this now, doesn't matter what game it is or how long it's been in development or on store shelves, these arguments are everywhere and I'm sure developers aren't all that happy about it.

Nobody is LEGALLY forcing them to make diverse characters, but the writing is still on the wall.

P.S. This is based entirely of my time on message boards, twitter, twitch, and gaming as a whole over the last 30 years, things have changed more in this direction in just the last 5-10 than in the history of gaming, a lot of the hypotheticals I listed are from actual discussions I've witnessed countless times in just the last few MONTHS, as people STILL can't shut up about the mechanic from FFXV or characters from Overwatch.

I'm not saying we don't NEED diversity, I just think developers should be allowed to make what they want to make. But denying that there's anything influencing their development of a game is just silly, things get changed all the time based on the amount of complaining people do or just kneejerk reactions "In case shit happens" as such is the case for Treehouse localization.

• The thread of money leaving in your pocket — publishers, sales, marketing — is a 'gun to your head.'

Criticism — especially complicated, feminist criticism — rarely effects sales and therefore is rarely so compelling.

It is not hard to write a good female character. Even as a man (I know, 'oooh's and 'aaah's). Only in this strange, practically male-only place the arts are currently in can so many write so women poorly for so long. But what if a writer is sexist or just purely ignorant, writes a manic pixie dream girl, and gets yelled at for it??

Too freakin' bad! They made that character. They sold that demonstrably less artistically valid product. And they got complained at for it. No one is holding a gun to their head, it was that writer's — or untrained developer's thrust into the writer's chair — choice to write the character in such a trite way. No one's stealing their meal out from under them. No one's holding a gun to their head, they're just being criticized in a baseline example of accountability — the real thing our societies lacks.

Expecting homogenous developers paid only by the grace of timid publishing and marketing agencies to make representative change without outside input is only a fool's errand.

If you want to continue this convo, probably pm me or make a separate thread.

• @Haru17 said in Nier Automata:

The thread of money leaving in your pocket — publishers, sales, marketing — is a 'gun to your head.'

Criticism — especially complicated, feminist criticism — rarely effects sales and therefore is rarely so compelling.

It is not hard to write a good female character. Even as a man (I know, 'oooh's and 'aaah's). Only in this strange, practically male-only place the arts are currently in can so many write so women poorly for so long. But what if a writer is sexist or just purely ignorant, writes a manic pixie dream girl, and gets yelled at for it??

Too freakin' bad! They made that character. They sold that demonstrably less artistically valid product. And they got complained at for it. No one is holding a gun to their head, it was that writer's — or untrained developer's thrust into the writer's chair — choice to write the character in such a trite way. No one's stealing their meal out from under them. No one's holding a gun to their head, they're just being criticized in a baseline example of accountability — the real thing our societies lacks.

Expecting homogenous developers paid only by the grace of timid publishing and marketing agencies to make representative change without outside input is only a fool's errand.

If you want to continue this convo, probably pm me or make a separate thread.

Nope, I'll leave it there with this last post. Agree to disagree.

There's no accountability to be had with selling your creations. If I wrote a song and put it on youtube I'm under zero obligations to alter my lyrics to suit anyone.

The same can be said for any artist. A chef can refuse to make a vegan dish, an anime artist can refuse to tone down his portrayal of women.

You're free to disprove of it, but the problem with our society as it stands now is everyone's "Outrage" is now somehow valid regardless of proof and everyone is expected to bend knee at the mention of it. I don't agree with that at all. Censorship is wrong. Just as coercion is wrong.

You're literally suggesting that any creator should be following the current trends and cultures at any time in order to make the offended parties happy, you've proven my point. It's also lunacy, and impossible.

How is anyone right to say that a creator has given any less than their best? Some wish only to make fan service content, there's a market for it, and they provide for it. How is that trite? We aren't old world victorians, this isn't the early 90s anymore. Unless people are making things that are overtly offensive and illegal (Like genuine racism, sexism, rape, etc) then it's under no guidelines that should be adhered to.

If it's wrong in other forms of media, then does that not also shame real women who dress provocatively? Sex workers? How is your judgement ok? How is it not in it and of itself harmful?

But publishers are putting that fear there for the reasons I've mentioned and you deftly proved. And it's wrong.

I personally don't care how a game is on it's diversity quota (Either under-represented or over-represented), I'll still play it if it's good. Though I don't personally make female main characters for myself when given the option to choose, as I am not female and the MMO stigma of only creepy guys playing as girls has always been at the back of my mind.

But I'll gladly play a female lead, if she's not completely unlikable or an autonomous robot like Lightning in the original FFXIII, but people need to get off their high horse about scantily clad women in video games, don't pretend real women don't like dressing that way, don't try to shame people for their tastes.