Anime! Who's watching what?

• Amaama to Inazuma Might be the only one I end up watching for this season. It has a lot of good stuff already and is fairly unique (anime about a single dad isn't really done that often) without banging you over the head with the gimmick - feels natural so far and seems to be more about the guy himself rather than "how does he cope with the loss of his wife 6 months prior?"

Speaking of gimmicks, I tried the first episode of Hatsukoi Monster and bailed halfway through. Not worth the linking that one.

Can someone tell me how much ecchi is actually in that food one that's got its second series right now? It feels like I should be a fan, but I'm not big on the whole fanservice thing.

Of the others I see listed on Anichart, Orange seems pretty cool and I might check that out, Scared Rider XechS seems like such a mismatch of genres that it better be freaking godly or I'll be very disappointed (oh jeez 5.5 on MAL for the first episode... Hopefully it's a JoJo type thing and no one's caught onto the joke just yet), and I'll always give whatever Brains Base are making a shot although this one (a teengirl fanservice vampire wazoo by the sounds of it) might not hold up.

• @Mr-M said in Anime! Who's watching what?:

Can someone tell me how much ecchi is actually in that food one that's got its second series right now? It feels like I should be a fan, but I'm not big on the whole fanservice thing.

Food Wars isn't super ecchi like most of those ecchi type animes. I mean its sorta ecchi when the characters get orgasm when they taste the food to the point that its really funny. But its not that bad that i consider it not to be ecchi at all imo.

• Disclaimer: I went into Food Wars totally blind to the ecchi. Someone told me it was like an anime version of Iron Chef.

The first episode was a little shocking because I had no context for what was happening. It goes from zero to "I'm pretty sure that schoolgirl just came from eating fried rice? " but it's pretty apparent by episode two or three that it's tongue in cheek and that the ecchi is an apt, if ridiculous metaphor. Guys and girls, young and old alike are affected by the ecstacy of flavors cooked up on the show. It's worth a shot, watch a few episodes at least. Not somewhere where someone will walk in on you and you'll have to explain any awkward moments, obviously, but it's a good series.

• @CROWatoan said in Anime! Who's watching what?:

@Mr-M said in Anime! Who's watching what?:

Food Wars isn't super ecchi like most of those ecchi type animes. I mean its sorta ecchi when the characters get orgasm when they taste the food to the point that its really funny. But its not that bad that i consider it not to be ecchi at all imo.

Orgasm in a sexy way or orgasm in the Yakitate Japan sort of way? Yakitate Japan was a masterclass of the whole crazy twist on shounen tournament stuff and if Food Wars is basically the same thing but slightly sexualised I don't think I'll bother with it.

• Just saw the first episode of Mob Psycho 100 and it's amazing. Also just started watching 91 days and I'm absolutely enthralled.

• Rewatching through D.Gray-man right now since a continuation of the anime (D.Gray-man Hallow) just started up again. Such a great series with some of the most epic opening songs ever.

• For whatever reason I watched all of Big Order, no idea what compelled me to watch it.
    Been watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, its about the only thing im really keeping up to date with.

Also Erased reminded me (and my mom who I got into the show) why we hate playing Clue with my brother, or taking him to some mystery dinner theater thing

• Global Moderator

Caught up with Jo Jo's Bizzare Adventure other than thatits just One Piece with the latest episodes

• Watching Shippuden and One Piece as they come out every week.

Besides that, I just finished Attack on Titan and I'm now watching Fairy Tail.
    A lot more comedy than I expected. I thought it would be a little more on the serious side like Naruto (Shippuden), but there's a lot more humour, even in the battles. Though I'm only one episode 17, I'm enjoying what I'm seeing!

Personal favorite anime is still Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It's just sooo amazing.

Also, the FFXV anime, "Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV", exceeded my expectations and is quite good.

• Currently I'm watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood for the first time (sad the FUNimation license expired already, so now I have to stream it illegally which I hate), and I'm also watching the Ace Attorney anime.

I recently finished ReLIFE which was a great anime (needs a season 2 badly.... considering just reading the manga in the mean time), and I'm about to start Mob Psycho 100!

• I've started to watch Fate/Zero it's really good fights scenes are amazing.

• @DarkenRaul1 said in Anime! Who's watching what?:

Currently I'm watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood for the first time (sad the FUNimation license expired already, so now I have to stream it illegally which I hate)

You could grab the DVDs...

Nah I understand, it's so annoying when you find something good and you want to actually support it but it's not on a good actual streaming service - I had to actually cancel my Crunchyroll subscription twice because half the time their damned video player just doesn't work and no one in their support thing knows that's a thing.

• I want to start on the Fate/ series but now I don't know where to begin. Should I watch the two newer series and skip the first adaption? If so, should I watch the prequel first? Either way I'm apparently spoiling things from the other option.

• @Mr-M The website version is awful, but the app actually works perfectly.

• @Light as far as I can tell Fate/Zero is first in the timeline at least animewise. The it can split into 3 different paths those being Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works and the still not released Heavens Feel.

• @michemagius My phone can't run Pokemon GO, Crunchyroll, these forums, nuffin'. This is starting to become more than just a first world problem for me :'(

• Watching a Ghibli film is a mandatory. Although not every movie is great. I recommend watching movies/series/OVAs from each era because you might find a treasure that stays in your memory for the rest of your life. Macross: Do you remember love?, Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, A girl who leapt through time, Street Fighter II the animated movie, Venus Wars, Steamboy, Toward Terra are some of the movies I recommend.

And on series I'd recommend original ones like Nadia: A secret of Blue Water, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Patlabor , the ones based on novels like Full Metal Panic!, Baccano! etc. etc.. Others are better in manga form to be read to get the context of the story although there are few exceptions and some are good to watch also in anime. Sports anime have been lately been pretty good in terms of quality and slice-of life genre has been strong in this decade so if they are your cup of tea, try them.

• @Mr-M I've never seen Yakitate Japan so i'm sure... but yeah i guess food wars is not for everyone- its so funny though lol

• Here's the Netflix anime I've watched in order of descending relevance. All but the last are dubbed:

alt text

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit is a must-watch which practically no one has watched. It's anachronistic: The setting is feudal Japanese fantasy, but the music reminds me of a 80s Spielberg movie. The animation is beautiful, of course, with gleaming sword fights and peaceful mountain hikes alike. It's very subtle and slow-paced, but every episode is worth it.

alt text

Knights of Sidonia is a hard scifi 3D mecha anime. It has suspenseful battles and scifi intrigue, but is let down by the plot cutting off prematurely at the end of season 2 (I've read the manga: it's a mercy). It's very shōnen in that, while it's structured like a drama, the plot resembles a visual novel at times (I thought the romance scenes were fun).

alt text

Red Data Girl is a supernatural high school anime that straddles the line between slice of life and drama. It's nothing groundbreaking, but I really enjoyed the story (it's well plotted despite not running the length of the manga). The traditional Japanese visuals help too.

alt text

Durarara x2 is a fun and well-animated distraction that doesn't really go anywhere. I really don't have more to say, as the lack of resolution in the ending left me feeling empty.

alt text

Kuromukuro is a high school mecha whose only novel trait is that its 3D-animated mechs don't look totally out of place alongside the 2D characters. Besides that, it has a good start that gets swallowed up by stereotypes almost instantly (they introduce this male main character who the writers clearly think is sooo cool).

• @CROWatoan Yakitate Japan is a 69 episode anime about baking bread. It's oddly informative, but the main draw is that it's a hilarious pisstake of typical shounen tournament fighting anime.
    Here's two highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_srPS_HbWg |

Youtube Video