Anime! Who's watching what?

• @naltmank Well I can't say if it's worth pushing through to the end, but I can say I made it to a little after you did and I also stopped. It's a series that I personally think goes too long. I just read a synopsis of how it ended. I think I made the right choice.

• @Mbun Butbutbut "Code Geass is just the casual Death Note" amirite? Death Note so good. A narrative masterpiece! /s

Just in case I wasn't clear: Death Note goes off the rails hardcore. Code Geass does too, but it makes sense in the context of the characters and setting. Plus, CG is just fun in a sometimes-perverse way. Death Note is Madoka levels of depressing—and not in a narratively satisfying way—IMO.

• @Haru17 Nothing is Madocka levels of depressing...

At least nothing that I've watched.

• @bard91 For me at least, the deeper level emotion I get is from anime that develop and kill off sympathetic characters in perfectly tragic, gut-wrenching ways. That's real (metaphorical) depression. That shit's soul-crushing. Death Note and Madoka? That's day-in, day-out. That's boring depression.

I use shows like Madoka to recover from depression from more compelling shows.

• @Haru17 can you share some examples?, I've been watching a lot of 'feel good' shows, so it may be a good switch

• @Mbun @Inustar thanks for the input! Yeah I think I'll just read a synopsis and call it quits. Kind of a bummer because I didn't hate it at first, but I could tell real quick that it was going to drag on too long. I was not wrong.

• @bard91 I've never even found Madoka that depressing honestly. It's brutal yes and flips the magical girl genre on it's head, but depressing? Nah. Depressing is every Key anime adapted from a VN (Air, Kanon, Clannad, Angel Beats, Little Busters, etc.) or stuff like Saikano or Anohana. I also stopped watching White Album when that first came out, because the beginning was bumming me out, but I'm not sure how depressing it is as a whole.

• @bard91 I posted some worthy anime (and Kuromukuro :/) earlier in this thread. But, if you're looking for some soul-scrambling, utterly downer, The Last of Us shit, check out Psycho-Pass and Ga-Rei Zero. You probably haven't seen the former and I'm almost certain you haven't seen the later. They're both quality and, along with Code Geass, Moribito, and Knights of Sidonia, which I've already talked about, are some of the more compelling and nuanced anime that still retain action scenes. And of course there's Your Lie in April, which has violins in place of guns.

• I finally jumped back into watching anime with Boku no Hero Academia and it's so much fun!
    Now I just need to find me a recent romantic comedy anime. :heart_eyes:

• @Hesperus said in Anime! Who's watching what?:

I finally jumped back into watching anime with Boku no Hero Academia and it's so much fun!
    Now I just need to find me a recent romantic comedy anime. :heart_eyes:

You could try Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! Female lead and very funny. :grinning:

• Watched KonoSuba, very funny show if you're into RPGs, only 10 eps sadly but there's a second series on the way

• Gave up on Death Note, caved and started watching Jojo. I didn't know anything about it going in other than the fact that everyone here seems to love it. Initial thoughts: way more old school in animation, vibe, and writing than I was expecting, but that's certainly not a bad thing. Seemed a bit aimless at times, but I'm sure it will come into focus. Then they played some Yes over the credits and now I'm pretty convinced this show will be good.

• At this point I'm a Jojo hipster. I think it happened about the fifth time I saw that ending music cut meme on reddit.

No thanks.

• @Haru17 For all the dumb trash that usually breaks out into the mainstream, we're not too bad off if JoJo becomes popular.

• @Haru17 I can dig it, man. I've definitely been that way about other shows, and I definitely do that with music all the time (e.g. went to listen to Roundabout after the episode and got foolishly upset at all the "WHO ELSE IS HERE BECAUSE OF JOJO" comments). No hard feelings.

• I would just like to say that a new season of Natsume Yuujinchou just started, and if you don't know what that is, you should immediately go find out and watch your way through. It's like actually good Yokai Watch for adults instead of children, extremely comfy slice of life with great music and vibe. If you like stuff like Mushishi, this should be right up your alley. I'll leave the season one OP and ED, so you can have a peek of what you're in for.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fST-KSaA7vE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnjS7DZYjhM
    Just starting this season, finding other stuff I like too, but I've been watching this series since 2008, and it's legacy has been a great source of relaxation and meditation that I hope can help others in this community too.

• YURI ON ICE. I love it so much after the first episode alone, I'm totally hooked. I've got a weakness for sports anime. Also season 2 of Bungou Stray Dogs, I'm really enjoying seeing some of Dazai's past.I really can't wait until the western authors all hit the scene (Besides Fitzgerald and Montgomery)

• @michemagius More like Yaoi on Ice. Nah, first episode was great. I know they know what they're doing with some of those shots in the ED and last scene of the first episode and such, but it should still be a pretty good watch if I can mentally set the pandering aside. Plus, you've got your whole classic rooting for the underdog situation going on. A little annoying how they play with his weight so much for comedic effect, fat when they wanna joke about it, but skinny when he's skating, then fat again right after for comedic relief again. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and it's hard to gauge exactly how good of shape he's actually in, whether they're exaggerating the fatness or fitness. Strangely this isn't the first anime I've watched about figure skating, but the production values are pretty on point, so if nothing else it's good eyecandy. I don't mean the men either.

• First episode was great, so I'll for sure be watching more of this.
    Youtube Video

• Fellow Anime Allies, be sure to watch Drifters this season:

Youtube Video

Love and Respect