Anime! Who's watching what?

• I usually avoid double posting, but worth it this time to shoutout Episode 15 of Mahoutsukai no Yome, as I've still been catching up on shows and this particular episode took an already good show and crafted a multilayered chapter neatly packed with all the best aspects of the show itself. Sadly not every episode is as good as Episode 15 or the more focused OVAs, and admittedly Season 2's opening being a montage of the previously animated events of Season 1 is a massive disappointment, but it's still worth forgiving and checking out when individual episodes can pull it together this perfectly.

• So, uh, not to open pandora's box here, but when does Hunter x Hunter get good? I'm on episode 17 right now (the phase of the hunter exam where they have to steal each other's badges) and I still don't really care about anyone/anything that's happening. I just don't feel like there are any stakes. Hisoka just wrecked some dude and gave Gon his badge back, but he still doesn't feel like a threat... Started watching it because Yu Yu Hakusho is my jam, but I don't know if I'll keep this one up after the Hunter Exam arc is over.

• @naltmank I really don't want to spoil anything or set up a false expectation, but yes, it gets very good. There is a good reason for it seeming sort of dull and generic at the start. I don't think it is spoiling much to say it is a one of a kind series in the shonen battle genre, and it affected me on a pretty personal level.

As for when, that's also hard to say without spoiling. Stick with it through the final phase of the exam and the next mini arc after and you will probably start to get an understanding of what kind of series you are in for. If you like YYH, you will probably also like the Heaven's Arena arc, which is the next major arc and introduces the main combat/power system for the series.

• @gaming_groove Just finished the exam arc... it's got me. I have no time to watch this show, but I guess I have to watch 60 more episodes now.

• My friend made me aware of the fact that I’ve never seen a Shoujo anime and insisted I start, so I’ve been watching Kimi No Todoke and enjoying it.

• Getting my body ready for the upcoming seasons of My Hero Acadamia and Food Wars

• I'm so not ready for the next season. Lupin, Food Wars, HeroAca, Cutie Honey, Persona 5, Hozuki, and Layton! I barely have time to keep up with 3 new anime each season, but all of these are must watches for me. Additionally, I'm still watching Kimi No Todoke and I'm probably going to move on to another classic Shoujo, so that's another thing to absorb my time. It'll be both fun and hellish.

• We've been taking a break from One Piece for the last week or so, and my girlfriend saw that I was watching Hunter x Hunter and finally asked to watch it. She immediately recognized its influence on Naruto, and said her impression of the first episode was that it was a cute show.

Boy is she in for a surprise if she decides to stick with it.

Also, I agree with michemagius, this upcoming season is crazy!

• i am on Episode 122 on Fairy Tail now, it's just becoming better and better

• I never watched Dragon Ball Z and got the urge to start now. Do I miss out on anything by watching Kai? What do you guys recomend?

• @teraflop I hear it's just supposed to cut out the filler, but I'm not positive on that.

• @minamik ok thats what I read as well. I will start with Kai then. Thank you!

• @gaming_groove Just finished the Uvo vs. Kurapika fight... Man, this show took a turn.

• Started watching Cowboy Bebop for the first time. Watched the first episode with my friend yesterday, and oh my god i was blown away, it feels like a modern high budget production that's intentionally replicating the look of old animes. Totally getting Blade Runner vibes especially from that scene near the end.

• @bam541 Each episode has it's own tone and different various homages to classic films, games, and literature. The character design of Asimov Solensen and his lady were a nod to Antonio Banderas and Salma Hayek in the movie Desperado.

alt text

• Also, in about 9 days, Cowboy Bebop will turn 20 years old.

• @tokyoslim top notch fun facts right there, better start watching it again.

• Sad to see EZAnime go. Always enjoyed it, but I understand that the way it was formatted was a big ask and time commitment for multiple allies who are already busy with other things.

• @tokyoslim What? Noo! :(

• @minamik Yeah, unfortunately I think it just seemed like too much of a time sink. I think the concept could have been formatted better so that it didn't require multiple people to watch like, an entire series of anime and all be caught up with it before you film. Something like an informal chat about what they're watching/stuff they're excited about would be just as cool IMO, but they've decided to drop it for now.

Seeing as it's one of those "extra" things we're not funding - I get it. You have to prioritize..