Anime! Who's watching what?

• @bigdude1 same here, there were a few moments where i thought the message was getting a bit too overblown but it was very solid overall.

• This post is deleted!

• @bigdude1 Similar to anime like Princess Mononoke and Monster, Parasyte subverts the whole humans are bastards shit that has been done so many times. Usually lesser anime with that type of message are crappy and up its own ass, and the writer(s) act like he/she/they have something important to say, but does not. Legend of Korra even suffered from this, and it's technically not an anime.

• @bam541 @BrawlMan I think Parasyte really fell apart in the second half with a very bad hamfisted message ending. This show overall covered the same concepts in a more effective manner with a stronger ending.

• @mbun for some reason that show keeps popping up on my Youtube notifications after i watched a lot of Parasyte stuff, i guess they're pretty similar huh. I'll put it on my watch list.

• Whenever I see people around my age discussing shows they grew up on, there's always one show that's been a total black hole to me since I never caught it for a host of reasons. I thought I'd never watch it since it seemed pretty far removed from my wheelhouse but the other day I said "fuck it, not like I have anything to lose by giving it a shot" so now I'm watching Sailor Moon I guess. Now I'm not sure why I was so hesitant to start since I'm enjoying the more slice-of-lifey moments and honestly a magical girl show isn't that far removed from the Super Sentai/Kamen Rider I watch every week anyway.

• Hi there! Fella who really doesn't watch much anime here to report, I've been watching anime.

When I was growing up, nearly everyone I knew was watching DBZ but it never interested me, so instead, I would constantly watch Ranma 1/2. Since it's been at least a decade since I've seen an episode, I decided I'd dive in and see if the show still holds up.

Gotta say, I still love this show to death. Way more nudity in it than I remember (I guess my fragile youth brain just blocked it all out) but there's a perfect balance of goofy comedy, ridiculous set up for fights, and some surprising depth to characters. I'm four seasons in and it is starting to feel more like filler than earlier episodes, but I'm still having a pretty jolly time overall.

I've decided once I'm done here, I'm going to attempt to sit down and watch some DragonBall for the first time.

• @sabotagethetruth watched Ranma again a couple of months ago while playing FIFA, it holds up with its fun nonsense as longs as it is not taken too seriously, that said it does begin to wear down toward the end.

Keep expectations low for DBZ

• I think my favorite part of Sailor Moon so far is how that guy that's clearly Tuxedo Mask just constantly dunks on Usagi during her daily life.

• Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 5 announced for this October

• Finishing up Spice and Wolf <3 Got about half a season left I think.

Not sure what to watch after that I've got Samurai Champloo, FLCL, Trigun, The Boy and the Beast, and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. (I maaaaaybe just bought a bunch of stuff that looked neat on Amazon, I've never heard of half this stuff haha)

• @anonfriction Well FLCL is only six episodes and has a related show airing right now so maybe that? I really wonder how Trigun holds up. Haven't watched that one in ages.

• Season finale of food wars is tomorrow

• @mbun Trigun still holds up well. The animation may be average to above average, but story and characters wise, excellent.

• Rei's cool, I dig her fire and spirit powers.

Also, I just wanna take a second to heap some praise on Sailor Moon's soundtrack. It does a very good job setting the tone from the lighthearted opening narration to the awesome transformation theme and everything inbetween. I also really liked the first ending theme a lot.

• I honestly don't know much about the whole Magical Girl genre of anime but after finishing the first season of Sailor Moon I gotta say it definitely hits a lot of the same notes and vibes that your average Super Sentai season does. That's not a complaint by any measure, I had a great time with it. If I had any complaints it'd mostly be that the whole ending arc felt way too final for just a season finale, though I guess that can be chalked up to an executive saying "this is printing way too much money to end it now." Also the fact that Minako joins the show pretty late and barely gets any focus as a result, but I'm assuming that'll be rectified in the later seasons.

• I got super behind on anime this season so I’ve been trying to catch up. I’m up to date with Lupin III Part 5 and My Hero Academia (both are great btw), and I’d like to get caught up on Food Wars next. Still slowly making my way through Yu Yu Hakusho and Gundam Wing. YYH is great, but I’m honestly struggling to make it through Wing. I was told, after I was like 10 episodes deep, that I shouldn’t have started with Wing as my first Gundam series, but part of me thinks that if I’ve made it this far I should just keep going. (But seriously, Heero and Relena are terrible, can anyone tell me if they eventually get better?) I started Full Metal Panic on a whim last night and I’m only a few episodes deep, not sure what to think yet. I’m not really sold yet, but I’m not hard out either. Everyone who I’ve spoken to says it’s a really good show, so I’m going to give it another few episodes.

We finally got more details on the Yuri on Ice movie so I’m super pumped about that.

Also trying to figure out which shows I’m going to check out next season. I usually only watch 2 or 3 shows from the get go and wait a few weeks into a season to see what people’s thought are, before jumping into more shows. But this Summer season, nothing is really jumping out at me. I’m excited about the Natsume Yuujinchou movie, but that’s about it. I’ll definitely continue watching Lupin and MHA. Might pick up some shows from the last 2 seasons that I skipped like A Place Further than the Universe, Golden Kamuy, or Megalobox. I’m also considered taking the plunge and watching Darling and the Franxx just to see what all the fuss is about.

• I just gotta say that Persona 5 anime has improved dramatically, with the last few episodes being pretty good, and the last one specifically I think was straight up great, the action parts are still not very good though.

Also, I've been slowly making my way through JoJo, currently I'm at about the halfway point of Diamond is Unbreakable, it began as my least favorite part, but man it is becoming really really good.

Shigechi's death was simply an incredible moment

• I am actually liking the new title sequences and songs for both Persona 5 and My Hero Acadamia.

• 0_1531633614528_Capture.JPG

Code name: SCULL

Like a rowboat.