Anime! Who's watching what?

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• @rascalie Oh, you're a spambot. Gotcha.

Anyways, I caught up on Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight, and I'd definitely recommend it to others as it is NOT just another idol anime as it appears from a glance. Best thing I've seen this season so far actually. Basically is about girls at a prestigious school learning to be actors, which is interesting in itself, but on top of that it has some Penguindrum tier secret fate stuff going on with a talking giraffe that "auditions" the girls through spectacles of stage combat with promise of the winner being blessed a true star or something of that sort. All the characters so far are interesting with their own motivations, the sound design is on point, and the pace and animation are so snappy that it is hard to imagine it not holding someone's attention.

• Sailor Moon Update: R was pretty good, S was amazing, only just started SuperS but it's okay. Haruka is the best character.

• Since nobody gave me any summer anime recommendations, I ended up landing on the Pokemon Sun & Moon anime, because I've watched all the Pokemon anime series since Diamond & Pearl anyways, and I only never watched this one due to being salty after the direction of the Sun & Moon games, something the anime doesn't even suffer from. The style change in it makes it much more enjoyable than some of the previous series, and being based in the Alolan Region it has those sweet summer vibes in spades.

Not very far in, but man this episode fucked me up. I can't believe how heavily they lean into what they're doing in that episode. Like dude, this is supposed to be a show for kids. You cannot do things like this! That one aside, I probably have like hundreds of episodes to catch up on, since this has run consecutively for years, but I'm not looking up the exact number and trying not to think about it in general. Least each episode has been entertaining and not tough to watch like some of the filler years of the Pokemon anime around Johto and Hoenn arcs. Just enjoying it episode by episode for now. Way past the point where there's anywhere I could discuss such old episodes, but maybe I'll catch up before it ends? Best wish me luck.

• Global Moderator

@mbun

The mothers basement youtube channel has also been really hyping the sun and moon series as well

Youtube Video

• Been watching FLCL Alternative past couple weeks, and three episodes are out now, which is half of it. I know lots of people who were looking forward to new FLCL were disappointed with Progressive and sort of checked out after that, but I definitely think Alternative has been the stronger of the two "seasons" so far, especially Episode 2. For those who don't know, every "season" has an almost completely new cast of characters, and the dynamics are very different between them all, so even if you weren't into the original it is still worth checking an episode out to see if you're into the new seasons. Not sure how much attention this has been getting, so figured I'd throw it a shoutout. Can't promise the remaining three episodes will be amazing, but they usually ramp up for the second half, so now wouldn't be a bad time to catch up and watch along.

• Watching Black Clover, i reached the point where I have to pace myself because i don't want it to end.

• Global Moderator

@mbun said in Anime! Who's watching what?:

Been watching FLCL Alternative past couple weeks, and three episodes are out now, which is half of it. I know lots of people who were looking forward to new FLCL were disappointed with Progressive and sort of checked out after that, but I definitely think Alternative has been the stronger of the two "seasons" so far, especially Episode 2. For those who don't know, every "season" has an almost completely new cast of characters, and the dynamics are very different between them all, so even if you weren't into the original it is still worth checking an episode out to see if you're into the new seasons. Not sure how much attention this has been getting, so figured I'd throw it a shoutout. Can't promise the remaining three episodes will be amazing, but they usually ramp up for the second half, so now wouldn't be a bad time to catch up and watch along.

I've been watching alternative, and I've been greatly enjoying it. While it's among the least action packed of the 3 FLCL series, it captures the uncertainty being a teenager far better than progressive.

I HAVE MANY THOUGHTS ON PROGRESSIVE.

• @ochi said:

Yeah. I didn't hate it, but without talking way too long here I'll just say for me it felt like the story was trying too hard to imitate the original and have fanservice for fans of the original versus actually continuing or building on the story in any meaningful way. Nor is it what Alternative is doing in having a completely new story that follows the formula of the original but has it's own original merits beyond being fanservice.

• Global Moderator

@mbun said in Anime! Who's watching what?:

@ochi said:

Yeah. I didn't hate it, but without talking way too long here I'll just say for me it felt like the story was trying too hard to imitate the original and have fanservice for fans of the original versus actually continuing or building on the story in any meaningful way. Nor is it what Alternative is doing in having a completely new story that follows the formula of the original but has it's own original merits beyond being fanservice.

Yeah. I'll praise progressive for the moments where they genuinely got creative (Hidomi's dream sequences were always great), but I have to poo poo it for fundamentally missing the mark in trying to ape the themes of the original without truly building up to anything, even as fanservice. I can't say that either Hidomi or Ide's growth is handled all that well either.

I feel like 2-3 episodes in alternative could be cut out and it would probably be a better series overall, which is a shame when the series is only 6 episodes.

• @ochi said:

I feel like 2-3 episodes in alternative could be cut out and it would probably be a better series overall

You mean in Progressive could be cut out. There's only three episodes of Alternative currently out.

• I just finished Sailor Moon and I loved it. Ended up really enjoying SuperS by the end and Sailor Stars was also pretty dang good. I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you're like me and missed it as a kid.

Haruka and Michiru are the coolest characters by the way

• Finally got back to My Hero Academia season 3, i previously stopped early on because of being annoyed by Kota, that kid really got on my nerve. Not much to say other than i'm still being blown away by this amazing anime.

• @bam541 this season just showed how good MHA is at pacing. Seriously great stuff.

• I just finished my Hero Academia Season 2 yesterday. I love it so far, just good vibes all around.

I'm newer to anime so I'm still trying to find shows to watch. I recently finished the entire Naruto series and I just finished season one of Shippuden.

• Aggretsuko.

Don't let the silly cute Sanrio characters fool you.

This anime is about the hell of everyday working life.

• I dunno if I like His and Her Circumstances yet but if nothing else seeing Miyazawa's constant internal struggles when dealing with Arima has been pretty fun. Also, 10/10 ED.

• Going through Bebop for the first time in 10-15 years. I watched it on repeat when I was a pre-teen and I've always considered it my favorite, but damn, some of these episodes just hit me so much harder than they ever did when I was younger. I just watched Waltz for Venus, and even though I remembered all the beats, I could barely keep it together in my shared kitchen/dining room when it ended. This show is one of the greats.

• @naltmank In my opinion, the greatest anime series of all time. 26 Episodes and a movie. It's serialized nature and variety in tone, concept, and genre is unmatched. One week, a western, the next week alien horror. Then a hard boiled detective story followed by a Triad crime drama. It's the gold standard by which I judge all anime music, character building, pace, and emotional impact.

The CGI is a little rough, and I wish it had come out a little later in the age of widescreen formatted media - neither of those things detract seriously from the experience.

• @tokyoslim I've always considered it the greatest, even as I now realize how little I appreciated it back then. It's always been something to say, even when I went through my almost 13-14 year "anime is dumb and corny" phase (which I'm still not 100% out of). Now I'm just gaining a new level of appreciation for it.