Anime! Who's watching what?

• I honestly don't think it's a harem anime at all.

• @tokyoslim Main character's entire party is girls who are crushing on him. Like it or not, that makes it a harem anime. Thankfully, that's not a huge focus of the show, and they're not throwing fanservice around.

• "like it or not" lol
    IMO a Harem is a group with which the MC has romantic interest. Unless you consider like a dad and his daughters a harem. Cause as of right now, that's the relationship between Naofumi and the women/girls in his party.

• @tokyoslim Except they're daughters who are in romantic love with him and fighting over him plus a princess who also seems to randomly be crushing on him for little reason.

• Harem (ハーレムもの hāremumono, "harem works") is a subgenre of Japanese light novels, manga, anime, and video games focused on polygynous relationships, wherein a protagonist is surrounded by three or more love interests or sexual partners

@mbun I dont know what to tell you man, there are no romantic relationships or sexual partners so far on this show. So it doesn't meet my personal definition of a Harem. You can think what you want.

• @tokyoslim Like half or more of all harem anime seem to be ones where the main character shows little to no interest in the ladies around him who are all randomly doting all over them for no great reason. This is nothing new. Haven't seen this much denial since Sword Art Online fans.

• @mbun said in Anime! Who's watching what?:

half or more of all harem anime seem to be ones where the main character shows little to no interest in the ladies

Then I'd say that they weren't Harem anime.
    To me the word Harem has romantic connotations.

I also don't consider Shokugeki no Soma/Food Wars a harem show, but by your definition, I suppose it would be?

• Currently having One Punch Man S2 and Fruits Basket on my list to watch up to date. Saiki K and March Comes in Like A Lion(starting S2 of both series) are the other ones I'm watching.

• @tokyoslim said:

To me the word Harem has romantic connotations.

Romantic or sexual yes, but that doesn't have to be represented both ways. It can very much be and often is a bunch of characters doting over a single character who's focused elsewhere. Shield Hero is even hypocritical enough to make a joke about one of the other heroes choosing an all female harem party, which MC scoffed at, only for him to also end up with a similar party, also all doting on him.

I've only seen the very beginning of Food Wars, so I can't really comment on that one, but the difference might be if there's other male main characters in that show and there's more pocket relationships here and there rather than just every female falling in love with a singular male protagonist, who is the focus of the show. One of the shows I've seen skirt the line most was Log Horizon, where there were other relationships going on, but the main character is also still kind of setup in the way a harem anime MC would be with multiple women chasing him. That one was innocuous enough to argue that it was just two female characters competing for the MC and not a full harem setup with a greater number chasing after him and nobody else, so in that case I wouldn't stick the label on it.

Shield Hero was in a similar situation, until they introduced the third girl in his party, who is randomly blushing and stuff when Filo tells her she should have MC dote on her and such and already seems to have pretty unjustified feelings for the MC, who for awhile was treating her like crap. Female characters being added and falling in love with the MC for no reason is just a telltale sign of a harem anime, but like I said at the start of this conversation, hopefully it doesn't get too much in the way of everything else the show has going on and thankfully there's not a ton of fanservice since it isn't that kind of show.

I've definitely seen articles that spin the plot of Shield Hero to sound like a much more "problematic" (as Damiani put it) show than it is, and I think many of those miss the nuances of the events of what they're talking about, almost intentionally to support their narrative, but even though I think most that other stuff has actually been harmless and just attempts to tackle more complex mature themes, I'm not going to be hypocritical myself and deny it slowly becoming a harem anime as it shows signs of that. As much as I wish they wouldn't lean on that kind of stuff to market a show that already has an interesting plot going on, as long as it doesn't waste the time of episodes of or take away from the show's tone too much, I can accept and overlook the presence of harem elements. So far, only one episode has gone really heavy on it, (the one where Filo and Raphtalia sneak out to get MC a gift) and I was actually pleased that they didn't blow the entire episode on it, only about half of it, still moving the show's plot forward in the other half.

It started before EZA's new anime show launched, so the timing didn't work out for them to cover Shield Hero and there's nothing they can really do about that this time. I do think however that because it is a more complex show with lots of themes for people to discuss personal interpretations of back and forth, it actually would've made a great show for them to discuss as a group, and I hope in the future Damiani doesn't intentionally avoid covering similar shows that dare to delve into more hazy morally gray territory as simply covering them doesn't mean he has to agree with everything the show is putting down, and it'd make for very good discussions, especially if the Allies were disagreeing and bouncing off one another explaining why they see the events of the plot in the way they do. I'm always of the mind that it is better to discuss these things and explain in your own words why you feel as so than to simply condemn them. Even if the ending impression lands in the negative, the entire audience and group involved discussing it leaves on a more clear and fair picture of what the show presented than people would simply get from reading biased articles or hearing from people who have decided to simply pin it down as a singular thing. This isn't me trying to get them to cover a future season of this show either. I really just would like similar shows in the future not to be automatically blacklisted from being covered based on surface level impressions.

• Going to stop talking to you about what you think a harem is. I disagree, but it doesn't really matter.

Shield Hero is real good.

• This week's OPM is the best of the season so far.

• Made it to the second part of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I'm only an episode deep so impressions are on the surface level but I do like this Jojo more, the time period more, and the setting more. Digging how things tie into the first part as well, the adventure must continue!

• Trying to cut back on spending for a while, so I'm rewatching Genshiken. Love that show.

• Don't think I mentioned it but I watched Kira Kira Precure A La Mode and had a great time. Wouldn't call it as good as Smile on the whole but that's such a high bar to meet that "almost as good" is still a compliment if you ask me. Definitely had a better ending though.

Started Fresh and it hasn't gripped me as much as the previous seasons I've watched but I don't have any issues with it so far.

• @minamik Genshiken is really good. I prefer manga though since it skipped some great moments.

• Finished "Disasturous Life of Saiki K." It was ok for the most of time and I had few laughs. 2.5/5

• This week's OPM was just ok. Metal Bat rules tho.

• Obviously I got a jump on One Punch Man to follow along with It's EZ to Like Anime, but it is about that time of the season to go through the other shows that stand out to me and give stuff a chance. I'll keep updating this post as I go through stuff, as I don't want to watch alot and then forget fresh impressions before posting.

First off, One Punch Man actually nah I don't really care Fruit's Basket 2019, because when I was younger I watched the original anime for this and read the manga and was a pretty big fan of it in general. (I have a Momiji plush) Second attempt anime for shows I already liked the original adaptations of tend to scare me into thinking they'll screw it up, but so far this is completely nailing all the right vibes and still feels really faithful to my admittedly fuzzy memory of the manga. That's honestly what watching this has felt like, a foggy memory, and I'm enjoying that rare flavor of nostalgia right now even if it is all stuff I've seen before pretty much. Not sure how confusing all that is to someone just wondering if the show is good or not, so I'll just say yes, I think it will be.

Carole & Tuesday seems like a no brainer to tell people to at least check out. Kinda cheesy but good music, which the show is largely about, and seems like lots of fun characters to follow. The setting is somewhat interesting too as humans are having to compete with AI that has taken over most industries, so far not in the Detroit Become Human sense, but more like all digital AI and less humanoid machines. The city itself is pretty nice looking too. Bones is the studio behind it, so you might even get some mild flashes of Cowboy Bebop vibes here and there. (Bones did the movie)

Gunjou no Magmel seems fun so far. The kind of show I'd recommend to someone who liked Hunter X Hunter. Basic premise is a dangerous new continent suddenly appeared one day, and explorers flock to it seeking various treasures only found there. So many explorers have died doing this, that you have to become licensed to explore there now and there's a subgroup of explorers who specialize in saving others who get in over their head there. Main character seems a bit overpowered right now, but that's usually how these things go until later. The continent itself isn't as interesting as something like Made in Abyss so far, but I'm honestly not expecting that level anyways. We'll see if it holds my interest as it goes on.

RobiHachi strikes me as a much, much lesser Space Dandy kind of show. Probably won't be that good with the weaker characters and more budget feel, but maybe some fun to be had in their crazy adventures together. There's a sassy bunny robot, so it can't be all bad right?

Do Skip: Kenja no Mago | Worst Isekai I've seen in a long time. I'll be annoyed if this becomes popular.

Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu was pretty fun and charming. Basically a girl with social anxiety starting middle school and her best friend from elementary school told her they can't be friends anymore until she befriends everyone in her new class, so it is her dealing with trying to learn how to do that while comedy ensues. Only downside I can really pull from this one is you got those real generic ass moeblob faces on the characters, so it kind of loses some distinct character identity at times when they end up looking extremely similar to characters from other shows and even following similar tropes, which only heightens the problem. Doesn't ruin it for me though.

So Sarazanmai is basically Persona 5 if the Phantom Thieves stole from people's butts. You heard me. The eye candy alone makes this one hard to ignore. Usually love outlandish stuff like this, but this one isn't my flavor I guess. I'll watch it anyway.

Kimetsu no Yaiba is the story of a young boy named Sekiro Tanjirou who is forced to grow up real fast to protect his family. This one is substance over style all the way. Looks closer to one of those generic, "my first shonen" battle type shows, but instead it plays out somewhere like halfway to Berserk as you watch the main character actually train and grow but with less originality and a more compact scope. Probably safe to guess that this will be one of the best shows this season regardless, as the animation quality is a step above most the other stuff this season, especially during the action scenes. If you somehow haven't had enough Samurai / Shinobi vibes yet, this is the one to watch right now.

Shingeki no Kyojin 3 Part 2 had a pretty hype opener for the season. Seems like pretty much what you would've come to expect from it though. Doubt it'll be as good as Part 1 was.

That's it for now, unless I stumble onto anything else. Gunjou no Magmel and Hitoribocchi are my favorites of the bunch so far. Decent spread this season. No great comfy show or romance far as I see though.

• Just started watching Jojo's Bizzare Adventure

• Watched the whole Run Like The Wind which is about running. Checked out Ace Attourney anime cases I have finished so I can warch those anime original episodes.