Anime! Who's watching what?

• @tokyoslim It only gets worse. It is one of those shows I feel I have to watch for the zeitgeist, otherwise I would've dropped it. Really dumb show.

• @mbun S1 really did end on a lot of big dumb.

Main character gets a magical power that literally allows him to beat anything unbeatable.

I believe my first thought was "oh, well... that's convenient."

• DokiDoki Precure is one of those shows that starts strong but stumbles at the finish. Well more accurately it completely crashes at the halfway point and only starts to get back up to speed near the finish after already falling too far behind to ever catch up again but still.

• After seven years, it has finally come to an end.
    Youtube Video

• I think Food Wars/Shokugeki no Soma really hit it out of the park as far as hooking me for the new season. Even though it was a little bit of recap, they paid off one of the big cliffhangers from the end of last season, and they set one up for the next episode. I think it's a super smart formula to set up the cooking and prep drama in one episode and then pay it off with the reveal and judging in the second episode. As long as they don't overuse that - I think it's a natural flow.

I felt like MHA on the other hand was like a recap/clip show of the first few seasons... which was a bit disappointing. Kind of a throwaway or filler episode, IMO.

• Digimon Tamers is a pretty good show. I think one of Adventure's strong points was how it wasn't afraid to explore the personal issues the characters were facing both with their digimon and at home and man, Tamers took that ball and just absolutely ran to the hills with it in its final arc.

Yamaki is probably my favorite character. That or Impmon (I have a type, if you've seen the show you probably know what it is.) On the flipside Ryo feels like a mary sue and I could have really done without him barging into the show near the end.

• Trailer for the new Pokemon anime starting November 17th.
    Youtube Video

• Youtube Video

I'm disappointed by Japan's 4K UHD releases. Castle of Cagliostro has no grain. It looks really smooth, like wax. Ghost in the Shell isn't as bad with the digital noise reduction, but isn't good either. It still looks kind of too smooth. At this point, I'm more worried than excited for next year's Akira release. The Little Mermaid and Aladdin were treated much better than this. What gives? Does Japan just not give a shit or has all the digital animation tricked them into thinking grain and detail are bad?

• Just finished season 1 of Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san, and man I love it very much. It's wholesome, cute, easy going and funny; nothing more, nothing less. It's obvious what will happen most of the time, but seeing it actually happen is so fun. This is easily one of my favorite anime shows in recent times. I'll go straight to season 2 soon.

• @bam541 Nice. Yeah, I love how the show handles the audio levels and all the transitions into unique endings. Scary sometimes just how cleverly she reads him, when the guy isn't being super obvious, but clearly the two of them got invested in each other for very different reasons, so over time they'd become familiar enough with the ways one another think. Hear the manga is good too, but so much of what I like about the show wouldn't come through as strongly or at all in that medium. The only bummer with singing the praises of it now is this is quintessentially a Summer vibes show to me.

• Other than watching season 2 of Karakai Jonzo Takagi-san, I'm also watching Tsuki ga Kirei. 4 episodes in and I'm absolutely loving it so far. The animations and graphic style is so goddamn pretty, and not only they show the characters' personalities and moods very well, the environment's atmosphere and feel is also accentuated. There's so much to grasp from each scene because of it. I also really like how they framed certain scenes, and also letting the show progress naturally by showing the characters walking around more. Not to mention the awkward-cute interactions between the two main characters are great, it really pulls you in and makes you root for them. I also love the music, particularly the delicate and subtle piano that fits the tone of the whole show like a glove.

• I'm finally done with Water 7 in One Piece, and I enjoyed it quite a bit! Granted it feels like an intro to Enies Lobby, but it has many great moments to call it's own. Some thoughts:

The fight between Luffy and Usopp was genuinely emotional, and if I didn't already know they make up in the future, I may have thought that was the end of Usopp being a straw hat. I also think Rob Lucci has the makings of a great villain, assuming he gets more development in Enies Lobby. The reveal that he and the rest of the ship-builders (excluding Paulie) were CP9 wasn't a huge 'wow' moment for me, but I can't say I expected it either.

Now onto the real arc, Enies Lobby!

• Among many other things, been watching BEASTARS this season, mostly because the first episode impressed me when I was expecting nothing from it, but it has actually gotten super good as it has gone on, to the point where I'd no longer hesitate to recommend it to others. The relationships between the characters are super interesting, and the show plays with animal interplay in a pretty fun way occasionally. Some scenes are just presented in really dynamic ways, often adding to expressing how the characters in the moment are feeling, and occasionally the show goes full artsy which is always a treat for the eyes. Realized how attached to some of the characters I've gotten as it has progressed, which either means I just have an affinity for these weirdos or the show just is legitimately great at making you empathize with them. Worth checking out.
    Youtube Video