Anime! Who's watching what?

• @brawlman Not even kidding, this show is a good companion piece for Box Peek. The similarities are striking.

• @naltmank Megalobox is getting a 2nd season! I felt it should have been a one off, but I'll take it.

Megalobox is Getting A Sequel Anime

• Akira - Saw this as a send off to 2019. Still an excellent movie despite compromises with the story. The movie was made when the manga was yet to complete only on its 2nd volume. The movie has aged well despite that. The art, animation, and character designs I feel come to life out of the screen. The only thing aged about Akira is the original English dub from Streamline Productions. Thankfully, I'll never have to hear it, because of the 2001 redub from Pioneer. It's fun to hear Johnny Yong Bosch & Joshua Seth (Voice of Tai Kamiya from Digimon) got full ham.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• During the holidays and taking time off, I almost caught up on One Piece. I was 80 episodes behind.

Whole cake island arc was good but as often a little drawn out at the end. Scene with Sanji and Pudding at the end was nice and sad. … After this, some recap episodes that I actually liked since it linked some past evens with current ones and you could see some old characters.
    For the new Wano arc, they seem to up the production value a bit with some small changes in the art style fitting the Japanese theme. Just a few episodes in and little girl Otama might be the cutest thing ever. And immediately got emotional with the rice cooking scene and learning about her life…

• Watched SSSS.Gridman. It's pretty cool, I think I read somewhere that it's based on an tokusatsu story and it really shows. I didn't expect the story going where it did, it's pretty meta in retrospect. Not everything is well done or fleshed out, but it's also only 12 episodes so it's not a big problem to me.

• Just watched The Tatami Galaxy. After Devilman and Night is Young Walk On Girl, I was pretty sure I would love this show. I think Yuasa just gets my vibe. Artistically ambitious and emotionally satisfying, I think this might be my favorite thing that he's done. Definitely worth the watch if you haven't checked it out yet. I want to rewatch Night is Young so I can catch all the connections.

• I had a lot of fun with both seasons of Baka and Test: Summon the Beasts, it just keeps making things crazier without normalizing it, which made it funny the whole way through. All the characters has hilarious moments, and there's a lot of running gags that never gets old (I can't control myself every time the FFF inquisition shows up). The second season felt more disjointed, but it's still very entertaining. I wish there's a third season.

I also finished The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. I love how it potrays the main characters' superpowers, it all makes some sort of sense and it makes him experience amplified annoyances from what normal people would have, so it naturally would lead to ridiculous moments. It certainly helps that the supporting characters are all batshit insane one way or another. I laughed less as the show goes on, mostly because everything became so normal to me that it's less ridiculous because of it, but I'm still very much entertained.

• Is there a good anime similar to The Witcher live-action series?

• @irongrey Be a little more specific for me. Having a hard time boiling down what you like about The Witcher Netflix. Is it like a mostly hated guy going around hunting monsters? Is it the sideplot with the ordinary girl thrust into learning magic? Is it all the political stuff around the school and the countries? Is it afew gifted individuals standing up to a massive army? Each of those specific things can lead to different recommendations.

• @Mbun I'd go for a medieval european setting with imaginative but realistic art design, explicit sex and violence, mature themes and plenty of swordfighting action. I'd also like to avoid comedy or parody. I already watched Castlevania, by the way.

• @irongrey Sounds like Berserk. The CG movies are your best bet outside reading the vastly superior manga. Could also go with Vinland Saga if you want something newer. Claymore is maybe another to look into.

• @Mbun thanks for the recommendations. Have you seen Hellsing Ultimate?

• @irongrey Yeah, can't tell you how much I remember of it though since that was back in high school.

• @brawlman said in Anime! Who's watching what?:

Akira - Saw this as a send off to 2019. Still an excellent movie despite compromises with the story. The movie was made when the manga was yet to complete only on its 2nd volume. The movie has aged well despite that. The art, animation, and character designs I feel come to life out of the screen. The only thing aged about Akira is the original English dub from Streamline Productions. Thankfully, I'll never have to hear it, because of the 2001 redub from Pioneer. It's fun to hear Johnny Yong Bosch & Joshua Seth (Voice of Tai Kamiya from Digimon) got full ham.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Seems kind of backwards, listening to a dub when it's one of the only anime ever that has full lip sync.

• @ezekiel The sub is good and all, but 2001 dub has excellent voice casting and shits all over the Streamline dub. The only reason to listen to it is for curiosity or nostalgia. And I have no nostalgia for it, because the first time I saw Akira was in the summer of 2001. Plus, we've been made it to the point where the English dub of an anime has the same quality as the Japanese original 95% of the time. Plus, I don't have the patience for subs anymore, aside from one or two exceptions. This especially true if the anime takes place in a non-Japanese and has no Japanese characters nor fantasy racial equivalent. I highly doubt you want to hear the entire population of Chicago speak Japanese in Gunsmith Cats. Glad to see another Akira fan. You take care.

• @ezekiel its a compromise for sure, but id rather focus on the animation than try to read the subtitles. Its facial animations are rarely matched to this day.

• I went a Disc Replay and they had a copy of Cyber City & Highlander: The Search For Vengeance. I got them for $3 bucks each. I'm watching Cyber City tonight.

• Watched The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. It started on a super comedic tone with it's introduction of the wacky and colorful cast, and I expected a whole lot of laughs to come. That I did get, but I was surprised by the relatable emotional moments and meaningful messages that it introduced as the show goes on, culminating in the final third of the show pulling off a spectacular rollercoaster of emotions. It never crossed the line of being too wacky or serious. Still, I would love it if it developed some of the moments and storylines more (especially in the middle part of the show), as sometimes things can feel a bit too frustrating or stupid to handle.

• Star Twinkle Precure ended last week. I don't want to slam it too hard for having a third quarter that felt like it was just spinning its wheels since that's pretty common in year-long shows like this in my opinion, but I do wanna praise it for managing to have a really solid final stretch between some great focus episodes on characters that had felt like they'd been forgotten up till that point and a really good final battle as well. There were a few moments in the finale (more or less, since the actual final episode was just an epilogue) that got me pretty emotional not gonna lie.

Also just finished Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GoGo! which I enjoyed a lot. Maybe there's an inherent bias since Yes5 is one of my favorite seasons in the entire franchise and I'm already attached to a lot of the characters but even then some of the new ones or ones that got significant development really grew on me. Overall I'd say it's not as good as the first season but still really solid.

Haven't seen it yet but Healin' Good Precure started earlier today and from what I hear it's lookin pretty good. They even uploaded the first episode onto youtube (though there's no subtitles, frankly I'm surprised it isn't region locked or something) so if anybody's curious I'd recommend checking it out.

• This season of My Hero Academia has been all over the place. The animation in most episodes is noticeably worse than in seasons past (although I've heard this was due to budget constraints from developing the movie), and the pacing and tone have been so inconsistent that it almost feels like a completely different show. I thought the Overhaul arc was both extremely dark and more trope-ridden than any other in the show thus far, and while there weren't any episodes that felt like filler, some of the storytelling choices were really odd. I haven't read the manga so I don't know if they just felt obligated to follow the page exactly, but the way they doled out key backstory/information and how they managed events happening simultaneously really hurt the momentum of a story that felt like it wanted to have breakneck pacing. That said, it did give Mirio a proper introduction, and he's easily become one of my favorite characters in any anime ever. I just want him to be happy. I haven't loved the first two episodes of the new arc, but I am excited for some more breathing room to allow for more character development. I might bury my head in the sand for the obligatory shonen concert episode, though.