Anime! Who's watching what?

• @ezekiel The sub is good and all, but 2001 dub has excellent voice casting and shits all over the Streamline dub. The only reason to listen to it is for curiosity or nostalgia. And I have no nostalgia for it, because the first time I saw Akira was in the summer of 2001. Plus, we've been made it to the point where the English dub of an anime has the same quality as the Japanese original 95% of the time. Plus, I don't have the patience for subs anymore, aside from one or two exceptions. This especially true if the anime takes place in a non-Japanese and has no Japanese characters nor fantasy racial equivalent. I highly doubt you want to hear the entire population of Chicago speak Japanese in Gunsmith Cats. Glad to see another Akira fan. You take care.

• @ezekiel its a compromise for sure, but id rather focus on the animation than try to read the subtitles. Its facial animations are rarely matched to this day.

• I went a Disc Replay and they had a copy of Cyber City & Highlander: The Search For Vengeance. I got them for $3 bucks each. I'm watching Cyber City tonight.

• Watched The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. It started on a super comedic tone with it's introduction of the wacky and colorful cast, and I expected a whole lot of laughs to come. That I did get, but I was surprised by the relatable emotional moments and meaningful messages that it introduced as the show goes on, culminating in the final third of the show pulling off a spectacular rollercoaster of emotions. It never crossed the line of being too wacky or serious. Still, I would love it if it developed some of the moments and storylines more (especially in the middle part of the show), as sometimes things can feel a bit too frustrating or stupid to handle.

• Star Twinkle Precure ended last week. I don't want to slam it too hard for having a third quarter that felt like it was just spinning its wheels since that's pretty common in year-long shows like this in my opinion, but I do wanna praise it for managing to have a really solid final stretch between some great focus episodes on characters that had felt like they'd been forgotten up till that point and a really good final battle as well. There were a few moments in the finale (more or less, since the actual final episode was just an epilogue) that got me pretty emotional not gonna lie.

Also just finished Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GoGo! which I enjoyed a lot. Maybe there's an inherent bias since Yes5 is one of my favorite seasons in the entire franchise and I'm already attached to a lot of the characters but even then some of the new ones or ones that got significant development really grew on me. Overall I'd say it's not as good as the first season but still really solid.

Haven't seen it yet but Healin' Good Precure started earlier today and from what I hear it's lookin pretty good. They even uploaded the first episode onto youtube (though there's no subtitles, frankly I'm surprised it isn't region locked or something) so if anybody's curious I'd recommend checking it out.

• This season of My Hero Academia has been all over the place. The animation in most episodes is noticeably worse than in seasons past (although I've heard this was due to budget constraints from developing the movie), and the pacing and tone have been so inconsistent that it almost feels like a completely different show. I thought the Overhaul arc was both extremely dark and more trope-ridden than any other in the show thus far, and while there weren't any episodes that felt like filler, some of the storytelling choices were really odd. I haven't read the manga so I don't know if they just felt obligated to follow the page exactly, but the way they doled out key backstory/information and how they managed events happening simultaneously really hurt the momentum of a story that felt like it wanted to have breakneck pacing. That said, it did give Mirio a proper introduction, and he's easily become one of my favorite characters in any anime ever. I just want him to be happy. I haven't loved the first two episodes of the new arc, but I am excited for some more breathing room to allow for more character development. I might bury my head in the sand for the obligatory shonen concert episode, though.

• On a more positive note, I just finished season 1 of Made in Abyss. Holy crap. So much better than I expected it to be. Wasn't sure why everyone was saying it was so dark until all the sudden I couldn't watch the show in public. Jesus. A bit confused on what to do now, though. Looks like the second season is the movie that just came out? Is the first movie just a retelling of the anime? Is it worth waiting for a season 2 or should I just head to the theater?

• Cyber City was a pretty good OVA. The dub is no means bad, but there is a lot of cursing to make it sound more edgier than the Japanese version. The forced cursing just makes it all the more hilarious, and screams: " You're a big boy watching cartoons made for adults!".

• @naltmank Still gotta watch Season 4. I am going to marathon what I can today.

• Highlander: The Search For Vengeance. Directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri. The same guy who did Ninja Scroll, Cyber City, Wicked City, and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. Amazing! I wonder how did I not see this anime sooner! This came out in 2007 or 2008 (yet feels like an anime from the 90s), and the animation is gorgeous. They may have switched digital around this time frame, but almost everything is hand drawn aside from heavy machinery or robots. Honestly, the CG fits for the apocalyptic setting despite sticking out. Probably helps, that is the only CG is ever used. This is the best Highlander movie since the original. Nothing like all of those crappy sequels. If you're a Highlander fan, or anime fan (old school style), do not miss out; you won't regret it.

• Kind of on the side I finally got around to watching Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken, because I felt like people kept bringing that one up. Started off interesting enough, but the further it went on, just the worse and worse it got. By the end, it kind of just felt like things had happened. There weren't any characters I was really attached to either. Handled power levels pretty poorly too. I see there's a season two coming, and I'll probably end up watching that too, but I'm not enthusiastic about it in the least.

Skip this show and watch something like Log Horizon, Re:Zero, Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, Tate no Yuusha, or Overlord instead. If you've already seen those and want more, even silly shows like Saga of Tanya the Evil, Knight's & Magic, Hataage! Kemono Michi, Konosuba, or Shinchou Yuusha: Kono Yuusha ga Ore TUEEE Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru still offer more interesting events than Slime. That said, Slime wasn't offensive like Kenja no Mago or anything, just bland and basic with nothing to really offer beyond the first few episodes that are actually much closer to the original sell of the concept of the show.

• I've been watching kuroko's basketball, naruto, Dragonball and now the new Dragonball Super, One Piece, etc for years. Love anime. Dragonball Z was the first anime I ever watched though.

• Trailer for the next Pokemon Movie:
    Youtube Video

• This post is deleted!

• @phbz That's not remotely anime.

• @mbun ahah completely misread the title!

• @mbun I can't tell if this show is a guilty pleasure or if it's actually as good as I think it is.

• I just started Neon Genesis Evangelion, and I can't believe I waited this long. It's just one of those ones that has been talked about for so long that -- as weird as this sounds -- I never actually felt the need to watch it myself. Well I now see how wrong I was, because after only five episode I'm absolutely in love.

It's incredibly rare for an anime to grab me as quickly as this one did, and even rarer for it to grab as tightly. It does such an excellent job of developing it's characters, and the screen-writing is impeccable. It also establishes mood and tone very well, with there being multiple moments where I've been sick to my stomach, separated by the oh-so-necessary comedic moments. It is so incredibly bleak while also having glimmers of hope throughout. I think it sucks that it sexualizes a 14 year old, but it's anime and it was the 90s, so it's not entirely unexpected.