Anime! Who's watching what?

• Watched Mashiro no Oto/Those Snow White Notes, which is only 3 episodes in so far. It's pretty good. The first episode did a great job of presenting a prologue story, which then deviates to more traditional territory. The shamisen performances are well presented and is also given a lot of reverence, but not overshadowing the performances itself. I also like that the visuals that accompanies the performances, sometimes it shows some impactful story flashbacks and it's pretty cool. Excited to see where this goes, it's probably nothing mindblowing but I'm sure it'll end up being a very solid show.

• 5 episodes in on Full Dive: The Ultimate Next-Gen Full Dive RPG Is Even Shittier than Real Life!. I feel like this is a fun concept that is kinda ruined by an absolutely annoying main character (and also many of the supporting cast), weirdly slow pacing, and aimless story. The vibe of the show just feels a bit too negative, even though there are comedic things happening. I can't help but keep watching it though. It's a fun trainwreck to watch, I guess.

• Banned

I began watching Kengan Ashura tonight and am currently on episode 2 of the series.

• @capnbobamous said in Anime! Who's watching what?:

Now onto the real arc, Enies Lobby!

Holy shit, I said that almost 2 years ago haha. Well, anyway, I did it! The Enies Lobby arc of One Piece is officially over, and damn was it good. Outside of East Blue, it's probably my favorite arc of the show so far, and it really feels like the perfect synthesis of everything that makes One Piece good. It's the funniest One Piece has ever been, whilst also having an excellent story with ever-raising stakes, incredible fights that don't drag on too long (as One Piece fights have a habit of doing), and legitimately emotional moments that truly elevate the whole thing. For managing to be 46 episodes of sustained fighting and action, it never once got boring, as it had an impeccable structure and flow that always made things exciting.

Here are some spoiler thoughts:

I think the setting was brilliant, and gave me a sense of the structure of the environment in ways that none of the other arcs had. Since it essentially takes place in a single fortress, I was able to discern where everybody was without the show having to tell me because it did such a good job of differentiating the different parts of the island. This is especially important when the arc is based around them pursuing a single, ever-moving target, so they did a really good job with it.

I'm a little mixed on the villains. Spandam sucked, and not in like a fun 'love to hate' kind of way. He is easily the most vile, deplorable, evil character so far on the show, going too far to the point where I got a little annoyed every time he was on screen because of how sickening he was. Certainly a case of 'too much of a bad thing.' Lucci was also a little underwhelming, though his fight with Luffy was outstanding. He's just kind of bland. The concept of a character who just loves killing works well for this kind of show, and has the makings of a good villain, but I never really got a sense of menace from him. He kinda just felt like a guy. A strong guy, but a guy none-the-less. He didn't have that mythical quality that made Crocodile, and to a lesser extent Eneru, threatening. However, he probably had the best fight of the show so far, as I have never felt more emotional when Luffy beat a villain than when he beat Lucci, so they did an excellent job making him feel powerful from a fighting standpoint.

Speaking of emotional, this arc got me teary multiple times, which is incredible when you consider how willfully outlandish it is. Robin's backstory is heartbreaking, and truly makes her fear and anguish understandable. She finally got the development she needed. The Usopp/Luffy thing was also very emotional, and him yelling at Luffy to get up and fight got me a little choked up for sure. Nothing, however, compares to the death of the Going Merry. I bawled. Seriously not exaggerating when I say that I cried as hard as any media has ever made me cry when they watch her burn. Such an incredibly beautiful moment, and that episode may stand as the best episode of the entire show for me. Keep in mind that this happened in the same arc as the yoyoi guy.

I just feel like Enies Lobby is quintessential One Piece, and truly gets to the core of what it's about. There are the classic themes of friendship and perseverance that are done beautifully, but also on a political level I think the show really makes a statement. Lucci is a murderer on a government payroll. Spandam doesn't care about any human suffering he may cause if it advances his career. The navy captains don't care about killing leagues of their own men if it means getting the Straw Hats, the evidence of their failure and ineptitude. Some really good stuff there.

All in all, it was an excellent arc. Can't wait to see where the show goes next.

• @capnbobamous One Piece on this forum?! Hell yes!!

I just feel like Enies Lobby is quintessential One Piece, and truly gets to the core of what it's about.

A lot of fans share this same sentiment and many still regard it as the best in the series.

Can't wait to see where the show goes next.

I've always seen adoration for the next arc, but recently reading some thoughts suggesting otherwise. So it's a bit divisive. Still great fun nonetheless.

May I ask why you decided to go with the anime instead of the manga?

• @demonpirate I originally did read the manga, though I did so in a less... legal way, which I never liked but short of buying each volume physically I couldn't find out how else to read it. I made it up until about halfway through Skypiea before I just got burned out. I didn't care for the arc, and it was long, so I just grew tired of it.

Flash forward to a couple years later and I was missing it, and the anime was available on streaming so I just decided to hop in from the beginning. I wouldn't say it's a better experience, but I also wouldn't call it lesser than the manga. The anime has pacing issues for sure, but all of the voice actors are incredible (sub) and the music is great so I think it's a fair trade-off. Plus I'm so far behind that the fear of being behind the manga isn't there for me.

• And just like that the Thriller Bark arc of One Piece is over, and in only 18 days, a far cry from how long it took me to finish Enies Lobby. It was fun! Not the best One Piece has ever been, but it's still a solid arc. For most of it I would have put it in a solid B-tier as far as arcs go, but the ending is so phenomenal that it elevates it up to A-tier easily. Like, the last 7 or so episodes of this 45 episode arc bring so much intensity and emotion that they completely make up for how little there was up until this point. Here are some spoiler-filled thoughts:

I think Moria is a fun villain. There's something sinister to him that was missing from Lucci. That's not to imply that I think he's a better villain than Lucci, because I think he does have some weaknesses that hold him back a bit. For one, though this was the whole point of him, the fact that he let everybody else do all of the work for him made the final fight (with Oars) a little anti-climactic. Aside from the brief instance in which Moria was all shadowed up, the final fight was basically with a goofy henchman. A strong goofy henchman, but a goofy henchman nonetheless, and I think it lacked the climactic feel of other final fights because of this. I will say though that the moment when Oars was defeated, with all of the Straw Hats working together to make it happen, was really cool. I think Moria ultimately suffers when Kuma is introduced as well, because Kuma is so rad and so much of a better villain that his presence just serves to make Moria look bad. And again I know that's kind of the point, but when a 45 episode arc is about stopping this dude, I need just a little bit more from him. He was fun, he served his purpose, but he's not the best villain One Piece has had.

I also think the structure of the arc was a little weird. It kind of felt like it was at a climactic pace for most of it, with major villains getting beat before the arc was halfway through. It's just hard to keep this momentum going for so long, and while Enies Lobby was able to do so seamlessly, Thriller Bark felt a little tired by the time it ended.

Those last episodes though, my god they were excellent. From the defeat of Oars onward the arc was a solid 10. The defeat of Moria felt satisfying, and the fight (?) with Kuma was incredible. Such a great way to set up a villain for later. Zoro also has his best moment so far with him "taking Luffy's pain." It's not only a cool moment for him, but it also gets to the heart of his relationship with Luffy and the rest of the Straw Hats. It's an oddly heartwarming moment, and so suspenseful that had I not known he lived I may have feared for him. Just an excellent moment, one of those ones you don't forget. Then we get the full story of Brooks and Laboon, which is so heartbreaking it brought me to tears. I thought Robin's backstory was sad, but the last song of the Rumbar Pirates rocked me nearly as bad as the death of the Merry did. It's remarkable to me how much heart and soul this show has.

Well another arc down and a billion to go. Can't wait to see where the show goes next!

• @capnbobamous I legitimately cannot listen to Binks' Sake without choking up.
    Congrats on finishing Thriller Bark! What are your thoughts on Brook so far?

I cannot wait for your write-up when you conclude the next arc :)

• @demonpirate said in Anime! Who's watching what?:

What are your thoughts on Brook so far?

I love him! One Piece does such a great job of endearing you to new crew-mates before they actually become crew-mates. I feel like I know him so well and he's already interacted with the Straw Hats so much that now he feels like a natural inclusion. He's funny and has a lot of heart (except he doesn't have a heart), but there's also a quiet sadness to him. I can't wait to see the perspective he brings. Seems perhaps a bit odd to have another swordsman, but we've already seen he's not as strong as Zoro and he has the added ability to use his light body to his advantage, so I'm sure his style is gonna feel a lot different.

• @capnbobamous said in Anime! Who's watching what?:

Seems perhaps a bit odd to have another swordsman

I guess his technical role is the "musician" of the crew lol

Youtube Video