Anime! Who's watching what?

• Most recent episode of Kemurikusa was really cool. Love when a show holds almost everything back for some crazy reveal in the last two episodes. The way they tied the ending sequence into it was stellar and hype as well. I totally understand this show not being popular with the weirdo characters, slow pacing, and all the good action sequences being done offscreen between episodes to save budget, but shows where you can soak into a mysterious setting as it slowly unravels are exceedingly comfy. Same reason I like lots of Key style VNs. Gives you a ton of time to become gradually endeared to the characters before slamming the pedal to the metal on the story and milking that attachment for maximum emotional drama. I'm still not going to tell anyone to go out of their way to watch it, but I'm personally glad I decided to.

Oh, and as per usual I also caught up on Kemono Friends S2. Has same kind of problem I called Mob Psycho 100 S2 out for earlier, and the plot has gotten pretty dumb in general. Characters have been likable enough, but I'm pretty checked out on it after they tried to rewrite all the show's lore into something worse and grossly misused the old MC. Best part of the season was easily the ending skits for the next episode previews. Wish I could've had a whole season of those instead of the knockoff mess we got.

• Mob Psycho 100 S2 is near the end and I have been enjoying it even if people wanted it to go the other route.
    Also watched March Comes in Like a Lion and some episodes of Saiki K. because a clip looked interesting.

• Last update on Kemurikusa and Kemono Friends S2. Pretty much what you'd expect if you read my previous posts. Kemono Friends S2 had a really terrible ending full of plotholes that managed to not even resolve the conflict it had built up and only semiexplained the mysteries the entire season held over us in a 2 second photo after credits, whereas Kemurikusa, a show produced on a fraction of the budget, with a studio scrambled together after Kadokawa gave the director of Kemono Friends S1 the boot, managed to completely outdo it and produce a better show in the end with an ending that revealed everything about the setting and gave proper closure to all it's characters.

Neither show was very popular among what aired this past season last I checked, but I still enjoyed Kemurikusa overall and will definitely be following what this director does next. I think having the right story dropped in their lap, the right collab partner, or the right person making just the necessary amount of changes to a future project of theirs could easily lead to another mega hit like Kemono Friends Season 1. This whole thing has been extremely frustrating, and I can definitely feel Kemono Friends popularity dwindling relative to what it was before season 2 aired, which hopefully they can figure out a way to correct before it crashes completely and ruins the whole Eastern zoo movement over this entire stupid ordeal, but we won't know until we see where Kadokawa decides to go from here. I hope they at least get the message that what they did was terrible, their resulting season 2 was terrible, and there's mistakes they need to make an effort to fix instead of just riding out what is left of the franchise and then abandoning it for whatever new thing takes off next.

• Been watching Shield Hero but been thinking of reading ahead, about what volume of the novel or manga is the show at now?

• I'm now in the Skypiea arc of One Piece, and I must say it is overstaying its welcome. The problem is the whole thing feels like it doesn't matter. It comes directly after the Alabasta arc, which always felt like it was having major implications on the series as a whole. Meanwhile, this one feels like an odd and unnecessary detour that destroys the momentum that the series had prior. Hopefully it gets better, but I don't have high hopes.

• I just started watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and while things haven't been super bizarre yet, I do hate Dio already.

• @sabotagethetruth Just wait until you get to parts 2 & 3. That's when things get really bizarre. Part 1 is only bizarre by early 80s standards.

• Finally finished catching up on Pokemon Sun and Moon anime, and it might be the best anime series the franchise has ever had, but it isn't over yet so I guess there's still time for them to ruin the ending. Also, finally watched "I Choose You" and "The Power of Us" movies. I Choose You is a complete mess of a movie, and not just because of parallel universe Ash retelling shenanigans, but The Power of Us (which also uses parallel Ash) is legitimately a very good Pokemon movie. One of the best in awhile. Great characters in a great setting with lots of fun layers of plot happening on top of each other at once, so I definitely recommend that one to others.

• Rising of the Shield Hero is still real good. Went through a bit of a lull there, but this last episode was fantastic.

• @tokyoslim Still salty they made it into a damn harem anime for no reason. Undermines lots of what it is doing tonally, but least those aspects are fairly easy to ignore. Still chuckling over Damiani calling it problematic. All the stuff at the beginning certainly would make you think that if you didn't stick around to see where all those story threads go. Hard to be snobby about that stuff though, when it decides to become a harem anime.

• I honestly don't think it's a harem anime at all.

• @tokyoslim Main character's entire party is girls who are crushing on him. Like it or not, that makes it a harem anime. Thankfully, that's not a huge focus of the show, and they're not throwing fanservice around.

• "like it or not" lol
    IMO a Harem is a group with which the MC has romantic interest. Unless you consider like a dad and his daughters a harem. Cause as of right now, that's the relationship between Naofumi and the women/girls in his party.

• @tokyoslim Except they're daughters who are in romantic love with him and fighting over him plus a princess who also seems to randomly be crushing on him for little reason.

• Harem (ハーレムもの hāremumono, "harem works") is a subgenre of Japanese light novels, manga, anime, and video games focused on polygynous relationships, wherein a protagonist is surrounded by three or more love interests or sexual partners

@mbun I dont know what to tell you man, there are no romantic relationships or sexual partners so far on this show. So it doesn't meet my personal definition of a Harem. You can think what you want.

• @tokyoslim Like half or more of all harem anime seem to be ones where the main character shows little to no interest in the ladies around him who are all randomly doting all over them for no great reason. This is nothing new. Haven't seen this much denial since Sword Art Online fans.

• @mbun said in Anime! Who's watching what?:

half or more of all harem anime seem to be ones where the main character shows little to no interest in the ladies

Then I'd say that they weren't Harem anime.
    To me the word Harem has romantic connotations.

I also don't consider Shokugeki no Soma/Food Wars a harem show, but by your definition, I suppose it would be?

• Currently having One Punch Man S2 and Fruits Basket on my list to watch up to date. Saiki K and March Comes in Like A Lion(starting S2 of both series) are the other ones I'm watching.

• @tokyoslim said:

To me the word Harem has romantic connotations.

Romantic or sexual yes, but that doesn't have to be represented both ways. It can very much be and often is a bunch of characters doting over a single character who's focused elsewhere. Shield Hero is even hypocritical enough to make a joke about one of the other heroes choosing an all female harem party, which MC scoffed at, only for him to also end up with a similar party, also all doting on him.

I've only seen the very beginning of Food Wars, so I can't really comment on that one, but the difference might be if there's other male main characters in that show and there's more pocket relationships here and there rather than just every female falling in love with a singular male protagonist, who is the focus of the show. One of the shows I've seen skirt the line most was Log Horizon, where there were other relationships going on, but the main character is also still kind of setup in the way a harem anime MC would be with multiple women chasing him. That one was innocuous enough to argue that it was just two female characters competing for the MC and not a full harem setup with a greater number chasing after him and nobody else, so in that case I wouldn't stick the label on it.

Shield Hero was in a similar situation, until they introduced the third girl in his party, who is randomly blushing and stuff when Filo tells her she should have MC dote on her and such and already seems to have pretty unjustified feelings for the MC, who for awhile was treating her like crap. Female characters being added and falling in love with the MC for no reason is just a telltale sign of a harem anime, but like I said at the start of this conversation, hopefully it doesn't get too much in the way of everything else the show has going on and thankfully there's not a ton of fanservice since it isn't that kind of show.

I've definitely seen articles that spin the plot of Shield Hero to sound like a much more "problematic" (as Damiani put it) show than it is, and I think many of those miss the nuances of the events of what they're talking about, almost intentionally to support their narrative, but even though I think most that other stuff has actually been harmless and just attempts to tackle more complex mature themes, I'm not going to be hypocritical myself and deny it slowly becoming a harem anime as it shows signs of that. As much as I wish they wouldn't lean on that kind of stuff to market a show that already has an interesting plot going on, as long as it doesn't waste the time of episodes of or take away from the show's tone too much, I can accept and overlook the presence of harem elements. So far, only one episode has gone really heavy on it, (the one where Filo and Raphtalia sneak out to get MC a gift) and I was actually pleased that they didn't blow the entire episode on it, only about half of it, still moving the show's plot forward in the other half.

It started before EZA's new anime show launched, so the timing didn't work out for them to cover Shield Hero and there's nothing they can really do about that this time. I do think however that because it is a more complex show with lots of themes for people to discuss personal interpretations of back and forth, it actually would've made a great show for them to discuss as a group, and I hope in the future Damiani doesn't intentionally avoid covering similar shows that dare to delve into more hazy morally gray territory as simply covering them doesn't mean he has to agree with everything the show is putting down, and it'd make for very good discussions, especially if the Allies were disagreeing and bouncing off one another explaining why they see the events of the plot in the way they do. I'm always of the mind that it is better to discuss these things and explain in your own words why you feel as so than to simply condemn them. Even if the ending impression lands in the negative, the entire audience and group involved discussing it leaves on a more clear and fair picture of what the show presented than people would simply get from reading biased articles or hearing from people who have decided to simply pin it down as a singular thing. This isn't me trying to get them to cover a future season of this show either. I really just would like similar shows in the future not to be automatically blacklisted from being covered based on surface level impressions.

• Going to stop talking to you about what you think a harem is. I disagree, but it doesn't really matter.

Shield Hero is real good.