Anime! Who's watching what?

• @mbun Thanks for sharing that! Honestly blew my mind, I love when marketing/packaging stuff puts the effort into something like that.

• Ashita no Nadja is an amazing journey to a decent destination. I think my main issue is that right at the finish line it gets stuck trying to resolve a lot of drama it'd been building up all season and while it was necessary I don't think it was all done the best it could have been and I don't think it added much to the conclusion either since that already had some (more interesting my opinion) drama going on itself.

• Just finished Paranoia Agent.

Satoshi Kon was an absolute master and it's probably the single greatest loss in the medium that he died so young, everything this man directed is incredible.

• watching Sing 'Yesterday' For Me right now. ive never seen a more mature anime. i love it. it speaks to me in so many ways its almost hurtful. i've cried a couple of times. its so good. anyone else?

• Finally got my Tenchi Muyo OVA 1 & 2 Blu Ray. Going to pop this in tonight!

• Watched the first 3 episodes of Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai. Why is this so surreal? I love it. Reminds me of Bakemonogatari, but without the super eclectic presentation that made the weird shit in that anime feels natural. Here, it feels quite unnerving for me, especially with some of the music/score being so dissonant. There's already 3 moments here that made me emotional. Also, the main character is awesome. Great first impressions so far.

• @bam541 I haven't watched any monogatari but Bunny Girl Senpai, my god ....

I watched the first episode when it came out on crunchyroll just out of morbid curiosity and because I thought I would get a laugh out of it, I was hooked and watched all of the episodes the day they came out, it end up being an unexpected masterpiece in my mind.

Also don't skip on the movie after you are done with the series, it's also very good.

• Promare - Studio Trigger is basically the Platinum games of anime now. God, I love them. This movie is basically Fire Force, but better. Basically about people who can use fire called the Burnish. They started when people began combusting. Shit went bad, and now there are forces dedicated to putting out fires caused by the Burnish. But are the Burnish as evil as the film and in-universe news makes them out to be? Hhhhhhhmmmmmm....

If you're a fan of Kill La Kill, Gurren Laggan, and Panty & Stocking, you will love this. If you are not familiar with any of those, you will most likel love this film. The animation is once again top notch, and Trigger always seems to outdo themselves when it comes to action scenes. I did not get a chance to see it theaters, but it's still nice viewing it on the big screen. The dubbing has an all star cast: Kari Walgreen (Haruko from FLCL), Steve Blum, and Johnny Yong Bosch (Using his Nero and Ichigo voice, He even does Nero scream). Ironic, because at the beginning of the movie he pulls a, Urizen/Dracula slouch of villainy pose. The dubbing is on point, the movie does not waste time nor feels like it's going too fast, and it lands all the right beats on funny, heartwarming, tear jerking, and nightmare.

If there is a flaw, is that you don't get see enough of Galo's (main character) team on the fire fighter side. They are there, but it's pretty obvious the movie is more about Galo and Lio. If this were a TV series, it would not be much of a problem. Then again, I don't know how they would have topped the finally in the film. So I am not that bothered by it.

I got the film yesterday in the mail, and watched it at night. I got steel book case edition.

Youtube Video

• @brawlman said in Anime! Who's watching what?:

Studio Trigger is basically the Platinum games of anime now.

Haha wow, never thought of it like that but that is so true.

• I got my Tenchi Muyo Movie Collection (Blu Ray/DVD). It comes with all three films taking place in the Universe continuity. Though I only got for Tenchi Muyo In Love and In Love 2 (aka Tenchi Forvever in the West). Daughter of Darkness is non-canon and inconsequential. It was originally supposed to be the second official movie, until the creators decided canon discontinuity. Which the best option as it feels like an official fan fic, and adds yet another lover interest.

For those that don't know, the Tenchi series is about a regular guy who has encounters with hot space alien babes from different walks of life. It was not the first harem show, but it was one of the most popular and put it in to the mainstream of anime. I consider it the best the harem genre has to offer.

In Love 1 is basically Back to the Future with the Tenchi cast. A villain named Kain, breaks out of prison, goes back in time, and kills Tenchi parents in revenge for the Jurians (Tenchi's royal bloodline) justly imprisoning him. So Tenchi and the gang go back in time to prevent his parents death. The movie is good with better production values and an animation bump. The animation is back to high caliber like the first OVA of the original continuity. Universe had decent to good anime, but it's obvious they were working with a smaller budget due to being a 26 episode TV series. The film is something you should watch only after seeing Universe first (the same applies to Forever too) as it takes place after the TV series. The movie is one for the fans, and is all about the subtle character moments and them playing off of each other. That said, you get cute and heartwarming moments from seeing Tenchi's parents interact with each other when they were teenagers. My only problem with the film is that Ryoko and Ayeka's (the Betty and Veronica of all the continuities) bickering can be tiring around this point. The gag wears thin, and only got worst in OVA 3 and Tenchi in Tokyo; which are different alternate stories altogether. Thankfully, it does not drag on that much with even Tenchi telling them to put a lid on it. Then again, his existence is in jeopardy and he's right to be angry. Also, it feels less like a film, and more like an 1 and 20 minute episode. Good overall; a solid B.

Tenchi Forvever takes place after the first movie and TV series, and is the final end of the Universe timeline. Tenchi gets captured by a mysterious spirit named Haruna that lives in a tree. She lured/hypnotized him after Tenchi ran away from Ryoko and Ayeka, once again, fighting over him. Only this time it's put better use in story and character. Forever actually has the best character development for these three: Ryoko, Ayeka, and Tenchi. Especially the first two on the list. The ladies actually have to work together, and are actually nice to each other when Tenchi is in danger. It's nice seeing character development actually stick. Given it's the final Tenchi product in the Universe timeline, it makes sense. The film also gets a different art style that is serious and slightly more realistic. Some people hate it, but it's not too different that it goes in to unwatchable or uncanny valley. My only main beef is with the villain, Haruna.

She is supposed to be seen as sympathetic, but it's hard to sympathize with woman who's already willing to make a booty call/rape her former lover's teenage grandson. For the record, she raped him twice, and none of the characters acknowledge this (because they weren't there to witness it, and film chooses to ignore it). I hate double standard rape in stories.

Otherwise, I do like the film and has a sense of finality. Tenchi does not choose a final girl, and both Ryoko and Ayeka realize to let him do what he wants and what makes him happy without having to force or pressure him. Tenchi loves drawing so they let him be. We need to see more in the zombie genre that is harem. When the protagoinst ain't a total pushover and women all have personality instead of character stereotypes like: tsundere/major bitch, shy girl, weird girl, etc. Despite my major problem in the spoiler, it is the best of all three Tenchi films. I give it an A.

• Lots of stuff is on hiatus of course, but there's a new episode of Twilight Wings!
    Youtube Video

• Watched the first episode of Great Pretender. Really like the vibes here. The art is colorful and distinct and the music is really solid (especially the opening theme). So far my main worry is that it will become overly convoluted, but I think I'm going to stick with this one

• Watching Bubblegum Crisis with my kids. Fuck I miss 80s & 90s Anime. AD Police up next.

• Monkey Dust

• I'm around 30 episodes in on the 2011 Hunter X Hunter! Shounen anime is hit or miss with me. I'll typically only watch Yu-Gi-Oh if I'm a little drunk because it has no rules, but I've really been enjoying this one. It has that lightness that makes me smile, but also manages to shift over to a dark side when you least expect it and it makes my jaw drop when it does. I'm just very slow at going through shows, so I wish I had the ability to binge. When I start to enjoy something, I do like an anti-binge, and watch less to savor it. And not finish a lot.

Regardless, I'm really enjoying Hunter X Hunter! Really solid characters and interesting world and premise! Excited to see how crazy it gets.

• @happygaming There's enough episodes of Hunter X Hunter that you don't need to slowly savor it, but I understand the sentiment. Either when you finish it or alongside it you could watch Demon Slayer and savor that one.

• Happiness Charge Precure is a pretty rough season. Feels like it had a lot of ambitious ideas that it just didn't really do much of anything with and got kinda hung up on its romance plots instead. That said unlike some seasons I still feel there's the core of a good season buried under the problems so I dunno, I kinda liked it. Definitely on the lower end of the scale for me but still.

I was gonna wait to make this post until I finished the other season I'm watching right now but some news came out:

The current season, Healin' Good, is coming to Crunchyroll this summer. I doubt anybody here cares but just in case anybody's ever been curious about this franchise I'm always rambling about then now's the time to check it out. (And it's also coming back from a 2 month-ish hiatus this week too so that's great news as well.)

• I started watching Haikyu!! , and I can say with absolute certainty that it is one of my favorite anime of all time. I'm already almost done with the first season, and if I could inject it into my veins I would. Every character has incredible depth, to the point where even the douchebag characters like Tsukishima are likeable in some capacity. They all have their own story, their own goals, and in the process of achieving them, they grow with each other. Even the adversarial characters are likeable because they are more than just "mean dudes." They have their own insecurities, goals and flaws that give them more life than many anime antagonists. I hesitate to call them antagonists though, because this show makes a point to emphasize that even though they are against Karasuno, everyone is ultimately looking for the same thing: success in the sport of volleyball.

It's rare for there to be an anime as sweet as this one without feeling at least a little contrived, but in Haikyuu this feeling is organic and earned. I think the reason it works so well is because while incredibly sweet, it also has moments of hardship and strife, and unfortunately things don't always work out. The show handles these moments beautifully, giving them the potency they deserve without compromising the tone of it all.

I think the reason the whole thing works so well is because volleyball is more than a means for competition and comradery. It is treated with incredible care and respect. It's not a setting, it's a character. There's a beautiful moment late in season one dedicated to showcasing the difficulty of the sport, and the dedication the players all have to it. It shows that Haikyuu, while rightfully lauded for its wonderful characters, is much larger than said characters. It's about the sport and the trials and tribulations of it. I don't think it would work as well if it weren't.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to think about what from the show I want tattooed on my leg.

• Re:Zero is back. So many people tried to watch it when it premiered that Crunchroll was having trouble handling the load.

And that's all I need to say about it.