Is Kratos Odin?

• So, I just read this gamespot interview, where they say it's not viking age, but the time when the gods walked on earth:

"In the viking era, they always talked about, 'The gods have abandoned us.' Thor and Loki and Odin all walked the Earth at one point, but they're not around any more. [The vikings] fight for them, but they're not there. This idea that we're at is saying, 'We're at a prehisory point, where gods did walk the Earth, when monsters were real, before they became extinct.'

In my mind, this imediatly linked with this new, less fury lead Kratos, that I don't see fighting gods with no good reason. So, what if instead of fighting new gods, he faced the threats and monsters that are present in the land and becomes venerated by men? His son fits in the role of future Thor as well. And the devs are going to make their own image of the norse mythology, so everything is possible:

"It's a fun space to be in because it allows us to paint our own image of Norse mythology as opposed to anyone else's"

And don't forget the summon axe trick. It can't be a coincidence that he knows how to do it.

What do you guys think? In my opinion it would be a nice twist, and create room for more God of War.

• Judging by that quote from the interview, we definitely need to take into account of the end of God of War 3. Last I remember, he stabbed himself with that big ass sword in order to release the gods' powers on to the land (thus releasing everything else that was in pandora's box). With that power released, all remaining gods, including whatever Athena turned into, lost essentially all of their power. This would mean an age of strange monsters, humans, and gods wondering around the earth together in some weird transition period from one mythology to the next.

I have actually been chatting with a friend over that demo, and we both came to the conclusion that Kratos does seem to be Odin. He may not necessarily be Odin yet, but by the end of the game, he will take that mantle and rule over Valhalla. I mean, he is the end all be all god of war in this universe; it would just make sense that Kratos, of all people, ends up presiding over what is essentially "warrior heaven."

Now, if he's Odin, then that son of his has to be Thor. He has lightning powers, and if he gets Kratos' power, he'll be able to call his weapon back at any time. If Kratos becomes Odin and ends up watching over Valhalla by the end of the game, then this series will switch to Thor child (that will grow up for the sequel) who will watch over humanity. Thematically, it might makes sense because this does look like a redemption story for Kratos a la Red Dead Redemption; he does his best to become a better person, learning from his mistakes, ultimately dying in the process (only this time the son won't fall into the same trap his father did).

If we get to this conclusion, determining how it plays out will definitely be a big question.

I'd wager Thor would end up having to kill Kratos like how they killed that deer in that demonstration. The son hesitates to put and end to a dying Kratos, and Kratos helps him the exact same way. I would also wager (from the little angry fit Kratos had when his son shot too early and the rage meter built up) that Kratos is going to lose his cool, lose absolute control over himself, and cause the blades of chaos to come back. I would hope that the game would then immediately switch back to an original God of War style camera and combat system, just for this one part only.

• Back in the roman era they compared the Germanic Odin with their Mercury (Roman version of Hermes). Týr was compared with Mars their god of war. But that is earlier than Norse mythology but they did mention pre-migration era. And there are theories that Thor was the god of indigenous Scandinavian farmers and that Odin was imported from elsewhere. Either southeastern Europe or Gaul. Which would fit with Kratos coming from elsewhere. It could be that not only the mythology but the history of the mythology is woven in with the story?

• I think it's premature to assume that they are any kind of Norse God.

According to Norse myths (not Marvel), Odin wields the spear Gunginir, and Thor holds the hammer Mjolnir. Marvel Thor currently uses the axe Jarlbjorn, but it's not ice enchanted.

• Gotta remember that Roman mythology while similar to Greek, is different. Mars is a celebrated war god, while in the OG Greek where he's Ares, he's ridiculed as a dumb brute who cares for nothing but war. Athena and Mars stands for war for a cause, like peace etc. Thor most likely came from Jupiter, or Zeus. The Germanic tribes simply adopted Roman gods from the era of occupation to suit their own needs.