Selective Creation: Pick Your 25 Preferred Open World Games!

• Let's go back to a genre (of sorts): Time to go Open World. Now, in attempt to head off any confusion, open world means where that is the primary playspace of a game. No eventual open-world, or where the game is large, but not truly open world

Examples: (Providing ONLY as a means of comparison, they are NOT entries unless one of you wants it so)

Batman: Arkham City/Knight: YES
    Final Fantasy XIII (Gran Pulse): NO

Hopefully this illustrates what I mean, but let's find out!

SO: As always - Quick rule refresher for potential new players:

Here's the breakdown: You've been given the power to green-light 25 games, but here's the catch: these 25 games will be the ONLY open world games to ever exist. What should be the games that make the cut? By giving 25 select titles, you are essentially playing an inverse of Kill Your Babies.

You can only give one title until FOUR (New rule!) people have added after you OR 12 hours have passed since the last overall addition, NOT NECESSARILY YOURS, so think really hard about which game should be on the list. It could be your favorite game, or if your favorite is already present, then you can add another you hold dear. Or if you hate the open world games (for whatever reason), get to trolling if that makes you happy.

To try to have a little diversity, I'm instituting a TWO per franchise cap. So if two entries of a series get put on the list, a third CAN NOT be added.

Once you have given a game, please keep a running list going for the benefit of the next person that would like to play. Because I'm pitching the game, I will refrain from adding to the list unless absolutely necessary because it would be unfair for me to skew the list in my favor.

And so Allies, what are the 25 essential open world games that should stand the test of time?

Have fun!

• Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

My favorite GTA. The soundtrack alone makes this game unforgettable, but the characters and the overall style of the game with the great writing proved to be something special together.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

My personal favorite GTA.

Grand Theft Auto V

It's fitting this list starts off with a series that pushed the genre forward consistently. I've been playing GTA since the first one released on the Playstation and I've gotta say... the newest entry is my favorite. Why?

alt text

This loose cannon gave me justification for all the evil shit I could do. When you first get control of him, he literally stomps someone's head until they're dead. It's brutal yet done in a way where you don't hate him. Switching from Franklin to Trevor, only to find him in his underwear on the beach is one of those moments that makes you feel like this psychopath is actually living in the world. Plus, you get to be Bigfoot, that's cool too.

• Two per franchise rule, GTA V doesn't count.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I just resumed playing it yesterday after a break of several years. The graphics are a wee bit dated, and it's missing a few quality-of-life improvements that Skyrim brought, but boy oh boy are the atmosphere and dungeon design a million times better than Skyrim or what! :D

Brutal Legend

The game has some flaws for sure, but the world that it has is a joy, and there's a lot of cool stuff on it, so I think it deserves a mention for sure.

Brutal Legend
    Sleeping Dogs

Gimme that HK

• @SabotageTheTruth I got to say @Oscillator is right. Please pick another entry. But I'm not shocked GTA is the forefront of the list.

• @Brannox My bad, I hadn't read the rules. I'll think on it.

• I need a judgement call on Yakuza 5 before I add it.

• @DeweyDTruman Man, honestly I don't know. It's open neighborhood. lol

• @DeweyDTruman I have no idea about Yakuza so someone else will have to be authoritative on it.

Brutal Legend
    Sleeping Dogs
    Red Dead Redemption

The only Rockstar game I like. Just never got into GTA. Well except maybe GTA 2.

Brutal Legend
    Sleeping Dogs
    Red Dead Redemption
    Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction

Oh this was an awesome game. Calling airstrikes and bunker buster bombs on North Korean tanks and fortresses while playing as a badass Swede with a viking beard and a mohawk. And that whole deck of cards system for the NK targets to capture or eliminate! Loved all of it. Pandemic Studios, you are dearly missed.

• @Sentinel-Beach Ah I love Mercenaries. Good pick

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Brutal Legend
    Sleeping Dogs
    Red Dead Redemption
    The Witcher 3

I think this has to be on here. One of the best open worlds ever in my opinion

Brutal Legend
    Sleeping Dogs
    Red Dead Redemption
    The Witcher 3
    Mad Max

I was pretty surprised by this one, it's huge and there is a lot to do.

Brutal Legend
    Sleeping Dogs
    Red Dead Redemption
    The Witcher 3
    Mad Max
    True Crime New York City

It's not the best game out there in any way, but I had a ton of fun with it.

• This is a good list so far, thank you people. And Mad Max and Witcher III would have been my next picks. Great open worlds, both.

Brutal Legend
    Sleeping Dogs
    Red Dead Redemption
    The Witcher 3
    Mad Max
    True Crime New York City
    The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Sorry Skyrim, as much as I love you, Morrowind is better.

Brutal Legend
    Sleeping Dogs
    Red Dead Redemption
    The Witcher 3
    Mad Max
    True Crime New York City
    The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    Far Cry 3

FC3 was really to my liking, the game felt immersive as hell. I loved the tropical milieu, so pretty, and the gameplay felt extremely satisfying when you took out stealthily those enemies with the bow from the shadow of palm trees. And then some beast scared you shitless and took you out with its razor-sharp teeth. :)