Classic games that you hate?

• @KingofDMC said in Classic games that you hate?:

then the fans of the game, who hold it as the best of all time, when it's overshadowed by the more fun Windwaker, and the even MORE FUN Skyward Sword, it's just an overrated and over hyped game to me that did nothing to put the series forward...it's just babies first zelda (just like FF7).

This is the polar opposite of the popular view. OOT and TP are the more open adventures, while Wind Waker and Skyward Sword are the games for babies.

I personally love OOT's mechanics. The controls, auto jump, Z-targeting, C-button quick items. Plus the atmosphere. The ambient dungeon music, the day/night cycle, the rain, the hidden pits, the freaky characters.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that speed/level of action is a big deal for you. OOT and TP are fairly laid back, while LTTP/Wind Waker/Skyward Sword have snappier movement/more enemies/faster puzzles.

• that may be another reason, cause i am a fan of amazing combat in games...and tbh outside of Fi (who is pretty much god damn navi) SS was godlike for me, and i'm bias toward WW cause i just loved sailing around and listening to the music lol.

and tbh outside of Fi (who is pretty much god damn navi) SS was godlike for me

Aside from the "Hey! Listen!" prodding, Navi is pretty unobtrusive. Fi, on the other hand, interrupts you CONSTANTLY. When you enter an area. When you see the first character in an area. When you come across a seemingly impassable obstacle. When you see something out of place.

@Oscillator

to me OoT is what is wrong with 3D Zelda, it started the whole downward spiral of the 3d games. (these opinions also go hand and hand with twilight princess) it holds you hand far to much, which makes the game easy as piss, the world is so dull to look at whole going from point A to point B that it makes playing the game boring as shit.

it's such a huge disappointment after the G.O.A.T LTTP, and it's like it tried to mimic that game in a 3D space but failed to capture the magic and fun of LTTP.

then the fans of the game, who hold it as the best of all time, when it's overshadowed by the more fun Windwaker, and the even MORE FUN Skyward Sword, it's just an overrated and over hyped game to me that did nothing to put the series forward...it's just babies first zelda (just like FF7).

Damn, I am in total agreement with you. Wind Waker has great art direction and it's why I love it most. I haven't gotten around to trying Skyward Sword yet. The DS Zelda games are a lot of fun IMO. Phantom Hourglass was great despite having to revisit that damn temple over and over again.

• @matt said in Classic games that you hate?:

Damn, I am in total agreement with you. Wind Waker has great art direction and it's why I love it most. I haven't gotten around to trying Skyward Sword yet. The DS Zelda games are a lot of fun IMO. Phantom Hourglass was great despite having to revisit that damn temple over and over again.

I didn't play WW on GC because of how stupid Link looked. They improved this in HD, so I played that. Good story, big world, but the overuse of primary/flat colours, low variety of enemies, sparseness of interesting locations on the sea, and the worst thing, incredibly easy dungeons (aside from the Savage Labyrinth, which was better executed in Twilight Princess as the Cave Of Ordeals), make it my second least favorite 3D Zelda after Skyward Sword. The whole game screams "for young children".

• @Oscillator I don't get the "young children" thing. I understand its a toon version of Link but I dont see it as kiddie. I know thats why people hated it cause all they wanted was graphical upgrade from the n64 games, not a new art direction. The explosions, water effects, heat waves, and facial expressions gives the game more character than I initially gave it credit for. And it's more timeless for me. But to each their own.

• I've recently been digging into Rare Replay on Xbox One, and the latest game I've been playing is Banjo Kazooie. I've heard such great things about it ever since the N64 days, and was very excited to finally get to play it.

Unfortunately, I haven't been enjoying the game very much. I wouldn't say I'm hating the game by any means, but I'm realising that "collectathon platformers" are not really my thing. I much prefer the idea of just being presented with individual levels or challenges to tackle one at a time, then running around trying to collect a bunch of nick nacks in order to progress.

This is why I really liked the Super Mario Galaxy series. Even though you're also collecting Stars to progress, the stars tend to be given to you as a reward for completing a specific level or challenge, rather then scattered randomly throughout a world.

Chalk it up to preference, but unfortunately Banjo Kazooie just doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

• @Danjin44 My personal expectation would be a game I wouldn't enjoy as it was reported at E3 that the game plays similarly to the previous two titles. So, with that knowledge in hand, I hope everybody that really has wanted and still wants this game enjoys it. At the time of The Last Guardian's reveal, I hadn't played Ico or SotC, and because I was so enthralled with Sony's presentation, coupled with hearing from a great many people that they enjoyed the game, I gave it chance. It backfired for me personally, but live and learn. It probably won't sell like the big AAA franchises, but it will move a lot of units. I just hope it reviews well and all the fans get a great game. I enjoy it when a lot of gamers get a game they enjoy. Overwatch and Dark Souls/Bloodborne for example: Not my cup of tea, but happy that people REALLY love those games.

• @matt said in Classic games that you hate?:

@Oscillator I don't get the "young children" thing. I understand its a toon version of Link but I dont see it as kiddie. I know thats why people hated it cause all they wanted was graphical upgrade from the n64 games, not a new art direction. The explosions, water effects, heat waves, and facial expressions gives the game more character than I initially gave it credit for. And it's more timeless for me. But to each their own.

The look is a minor part of it. Some parts actually look really good. The gameplay, however, is incredibly simplistic/easy. There's almost no depth. The majority of the puzzles are obvious, and thanks to the low enemy variety, you rarely have to learn new combat techniques.

• @Oscillator said in Classic games that you hate?:

@matt said in Classic games that you hate?:

@Oscillator I don't get the "young children" thing. I understand its a toon version of Link but I dont see it as kiddie. I know thats why people hated it cause all they wanted was graphical upgrade from the n64 games, not a new art direction. The explosions, water effects, heat waves, and facial expressions gives the game more character than I initially gave it credit for. And it's more timeless for me. But to each their own.

The look is a minor part of it. Some parts actually look really good. The gameplay, however, is incredibly simplistic/easy. There's almost no depth. The majority of the puzzles are obvious, and thanks to the low enemy variety, you rarely have to learn new combat techniques.

You're saying that like Zelda games EVER had any real depth to it's combat or puzzles, they never have. They're just fun to play.

• @ZyloWolfBane said in Classic games that you hate?:

You're saying that like Zelda games EVER had any real depth to it's combat or puzzles, they never have. They're just fun to play.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• @Oscillator said in Classic games that you hate?:

@ZyloWolfBane said in Classic games that you hate?:

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Still not seeing your point.

Darknut was an amalgamation of everything you'd have learned over the course of the game, usually bosses facilitate this test. There's no real new strategy to it, just remember what you learned.

MJM Great Bay Temple was straightforward as well, N64 OoT Water Temple would've been a better example.

• @ZyloWolfBane hate to further detail he thread but had to say my favorite zelda boss battle has been in Phantom Hourglass in the Temple of Courage. DS screen cheat FTW
    Youtube Video

I'll contribute to the thread topic as well. Gears of War. I dont hate it but it's not that great. Too manly for me.

• @ZyloWolfBane said in Classic games that you hate?:

Still not seeing your point.

Darknut was an amalgamation of everything you'd have learned over the course of the game, usually bosses facilitate this test. There's no real new strategy to it, just remember what you learned.

MJM Great Bay Temple was straightforward as well, N64 OoT Water Temple would've been a better example.

Darknut is a miniboss that you have to fight multiple times, and I don't see anything straightforward about following water currents, freezing/melting water flows to change said currents, and having to keep track of colour-coded switches over multiple rooms.

Can you name any 3D adventure games that have more complex puzzles than the best of Zelda?

• @Oscillator Nothing is really complex anymore as far as puzzles go, cept perhaps professor layton games. So no, not really. Cause all adventure/RPGs are equally pretty much as easy as zelda games across the board.

• @matt I'm not a fan of Gears of War either. I played it up to the point where you have to bait a blind thing into following you and I gave up, couldn't me messed. Lol.