Tabletop Escapades - Official Discussion Thread [Spoilers]

• I finished reading The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway a short while ago, and man, did parts of today's episode really remind me of that book in all the best ways.

• I hope Ben doesn't get too carried away with this parallel world stuff. Last time this happened during Tabletop Adventures, things got a bit too weird and wasn't grounded enough for me to follow. In this case, the gang suddenly appear on an island (as if it were a magical force during a fog), followed up by stepping into some weird portals and mirrors on the island. I prefer it when the gang are actually in cities, forests, caves, etc. which are on the same plane of existence as where the story started.

Regardless, the latest episode is interesting.

• @trugs26 I get where you're coming from, but I respectfully disagree. I kind of like the way these crazy encounters really force the improv muscles of the group, and I love the unpredictability of it all. I understand why many feel that way, though, and that I might be in the minority on this.

• @naltmank, I don't think you are in the minority at all, I absolutely love the unpredictability, and until now Ben has managed this campaign excellently, so I have absolute faith you, as well as @trugs26, will be satisfied!

• @naltmank Eh I dunno, I thought the group's creativity and improv has been great prior to the island anyway. But if you like the unpredictability, then this sort of stuff would be great for you (and @naltmank). I just prefer it when it isn't so out of this world, as it makes it more believable and easier to imagine in my head as I listen to the story unfold.

I recall Ben stating at the end of Tabletop Adventures (or the beginning of Tabletop Escapades) that he wanted things to be more grounded, so I was hoping he'd keep to that.

• I'm thinking to wait for the next episode to see where things are moving, but I kind of agree with trugs26. That last part with Law was one of the weirdest moments in the story for me, and not in a totally good way.

And again in general, I really hope Huber would just stay with the group. I mean come on. Almost ten episodes or something alone as Pomper (and Law's end, too), and now after a brief encounter immediately on his own again. Olf_Himself said well earlier there.

I don't know if Ben reads this here, but at least YouTube comments are a good way to express your thoughts.

• Ben might just like where Huber takes the show. If that is the case maybe, rather than reigning Huber in, he might try leading the other group in a way that sort of forces them to keep up with him.
    I'm withholding judgment until this batch is over though since from what Ben said on Twitter it seems they shot some good stuff.
    Though the fact that I prefer it when they are all together hasn't changed.

• Latest episode was pretty great! Love that the story is progressing and that the team is back together.
    Only one thing I wish was done differently. Ben introduced a really cool moral choice for Pomper that could have led to some nice roleplaying and Huber basically refused to take it and forced it back on Ben. I was also a bit sad that the stakes of the moral choice were kind of nullified when Ben said they could just bring the Dragons back by defeating the big bad.
    Other than that it was a really good episode.

• After last week's bit of a downer this really was an absolutely hilarious episode. Especially Huber's parts. And those of Moof's, poor guy. :D Still, the biggest thing is that all's well again: the group's together. I'm so happy that it happened this quickly, and the way it was done felt also well-thought. This is a fine spot to continue.

• After what happened with Pomper I was really hoping

Spoiler His scales would turn from Red to Green since he took in all their power

• @Sparks That would've been really cool

• @Sparks I was thinking the same thing at first, but I kind of like the idea that his skin is essentially a permanent mark of his family's tragic past that he has to carry with him. Could be a cool/deep motivating factor for him. At least that's how I think of it.

• Heh, I just realized Brad forgot to add sneak attack damage to his attack. He could have done a lot more damage.

• I feel like with the last few episodes the group has just been able to not really engage with the story and avoided making any decisions.

For example going into the maze, its been like what 3 episodes and the group has just been sitting there avoiding going in there. And whenever they have a decision to make or a challenge they seem to push it onto Ben to make it, similar to Pomper's decision about the dragon this week. I feel like in those cases Ben shouldn't have given into the Huber.

Even in TTA the group was still doing DND things like actually examining objects, perception, you know "real" DND. But it was still super funny and entertaining. Don't get me wrong TTE is still amazing but seems like it just grinds to a halt for whole blocks of episodes because the group is just not willing to move forward. It feels like everytime an NPC asks group "A" or "B", group says "You decide". Loop till Ben gives up and decides or rolls for it.

I'm not blaming Ben at all since he has been doing a good job as a DM and there is only so much he can do if the group is just not willing make decisions and keep forcing them onto the DM.

• @DemonSwordsman There's some truth in what you're saying, yes. Especially that whole going into the maze was super slow. And it only got slower when Ben had to tell the separate Pomper story when he went his own way. Thankfully they're now together again and actually IN the maze.

• @DemonSwordsman I agree. The sometimes unwillingness to move forward is the weakness of an otherwise super awesome show.
    And sure, you could say that they're role playing their characters and that's what they would do, but it's also both a game and a show and, in my opinion, I think it's possible to role play in such a way as to find ways to move the story forward. An example from the old TTA, Andry just sat in the wagon for several episodes and Kyle said that she didn't have any reason to go in there and was just going to guard the wagon. While that might be true, in my opinion he should then have role played a reason for her to go into the cave with the others, like in search for gold or whatever.
    Think of why a character would do something in order to move the story forward.

• Personally, I love the two saga's so far. The Island really has had just as many great moments as the city. Blowing up the sailor with magic missile to euthanizing the Gold Boy #1 is just as funny to me as Law's demands to the Priest or punching a hole through a steel cell.

The story has been relatively grounded until certain aspects of the Island as well as this mirror maze. Remember, we went almost majority of the series without much combat or many actual challenges (presented by DM as opposed to the bunch creating their own conflicts) so I'm certainly happy with the direction the last few episodes have taken. I don't see it going into semantics about meters and logistics like, say, the balancing floor did on TTA. Ben has already sort of taken Pomper on a linear path and returned him with great powers.

I have to say that the Fiasco episode "Regina's Wedding" was very funny as well. I actually just bought Fiasco and it will be my first table top RPG experience. I cannot commit to DnD atm (nor afford the DM-guide, Monster Manual, and Starter Set) so I am excited to play Fiasco with my friends. We were built for that type of game. Thinking of beginning on Fiasco High or Regina's Wedding.

• @GoTaco
    Check out Dungeon World. It's similar to DnD but both easier and cheaper to play and focuses a lot on role playing and relationships between characters.

• @Olf_Himself

Thanks man. In under 12 months I'll have graduated university and hopefully never have to worry about school work and guilty procrastination again. At that point I intend on learning and trying some new things and DnD or some sort of similar RPG will be one of them.

• The newest, #29, was an absolute joy to watch. This time all that talk and dialogue just felt really great and fun to listen and it surprised me time after time. Especially Yogalla delivered big time this week. A really good episode.