Highly Regarded Games You Couldn't Get Into?

• There have been 3 biggies on my list, until now a 4th, being System Shock 2.

• Super Metriod, I like the atmosphere, graphics and concept, but Samus controls like a tank on ice. She is both floaty and slippery, while being clunky and hard to maneuver. I've tried playing this game 3 different times, but does nothing for me.
    • Earthbound, like many SNES games, its just an updated version of Mother, characters aren't any more interesting, its not witty or funny. Its just an average jrpg
    • Yoshi's Island. Found the levels uninspiring and felt like they came out of a random level generator compared to the tight level design of Super Mario World It's pretty, but thats all it has going for it
    • System Shock 2; Clunky UI, re-spawning enemies, limited ammo and gun degradation and can't even use the assault rifle until gun level 6 just made it not very fun. Get rid of the enemy re-spawning and I probably could do it, but with all the back tracking and unlimited enemies, just took the fun out of the game. I don't want to go around with a wrench and just kill everything with it. It doesn't control well enough or have a good enough system to really have a stealth/melee system. I can see why it was great in 1999, but its not 1999, its nearly 20 years later and game play improvements have come a long way. Hacking mini game is terrible, just pure luck and little to no skill

I'm sure there are a few more, but these are the ones that jump out at me. What about you all?

• Edit: Resident Evil 4, I really found out why recently, apparently the amount of ammo goes up and down depending on how much you use it, don't use much ammo, you won't find nearly as much. That sucks, I shouldn't be punished if I'm trying to conserve ammo. Also the controls aren't good, better than past games in the series, but the lack of shooting and walking is terrible. I got to a part where Ashley had to pull two leavers and I didn't really have enough ammo to defend myself and her, so I gave up

• GTA series
    Mass effect
    Assassins Creed
    Halo
    GEARS
    etc

these games are very very overrated and GTA is most overrated franchise of all time.

• I could go on for quite some time, but here's a few.

Minecraft The general idea is fine (after all I liked Dragon Quest Builders) but the execution is horrible in my eyes. The visuals are terrible, the music is bland, AI is non-existant, etc.
    Terraria Kinda of in the same boat as with Minecraft.
    Undertale Too many things to list that puts me off. From the visuals, to the writing to the gameplay. The music is really nice though.
    Skyrim Shallow and boring combat, bland characters, throwaway story, very buggy (when I played it) and so on.
    Tales of series Bad story and characters. Combat does nothing for me, it's shallow and spammy.
    Star Ocean series Same as with Tales of series.
    Fallout 1-2 I absolutely can't stand the combat and the game is so clunky. I prefer Fallout Tactics and Planescape: Torment.
    Crysis series Feels like wasted potential. I really don't feel like a badass super-soldier when I play it, but more like someone that gets punished for trying to play like one.
    Total War series I hate the sloppy combat, the bugs and terrible AI. The overall management of your "realm" isn't my cup of tea either.
    Overwatch Too shallow to be taken seriously while the community takes the game too seriously to play it casually. I don't like Blizzard's focus on esports either.
    STALKER Too many design decisions I just can't stand in games. Even something so simple as a grenade randomly being a dud (without you having no idea when it happens) or weapons jamming annoys me.
    Fire Emblem series Shallow gameplay, weapons break, perma-death (from things you could not have forseen), etc. I don't really feel that the story is that good in any of the games either.
    Bayonetta I absolutely HATE the style and the protag.

Also many indie games, mostly ones with terrible visuals and/or riddled with seriously bad game design you have to overlook. Really not a fan of games that look and play worse than what I played on the NES.

• Uncharted 2: It was far more of a back-seat driver experience. The player is more of an afterthought than the focus. I'm not a fan of that type of experience.

Puppeteer: It's very much the same reason as Uncharted 2. I adore platformers, but this game lacked the two most important aspects of the genre in my opinion: tight controls and smart level design.

Mario Kart 8: There's far too much random chance in this series right now. I'm not sure why people complained heavily about tripping in Smash Bros. Brawl and turn a blind eye to the fact that a lot of Mario Kart is based around that idea.

Ni No Kuni: Everything about this game is actually quite exceptional. It was the combat system that turned me away. This is where I learned that I can't tolerate AI controlled party members. I also thought the battle system had some shoddy mechanical choices.

GTA: I usually enjoy open world games when they transport me to a fantastical world or an interesting time period. I just can't get in to current day cities. I see that all the time.

• Everything but Jak & Daxter by Naughty Dog.
    2D Rayman games before Origins.
    Monster Hunter
    Any MMO or generally any MP only game really, like WoW, Overwatch, Counter Strike etc.
    Skyrim
    Most Indie games
    Gran Turismo/Forza

• Pretty much everything I've purchased because people love it, but I had the feeling I wouldn't enjoy it, despite giving them a shot. I've already gone on record in other threads why these games didn't do it for me so without further ado:

Ico/Shadow of the Colossus

Inside

Final Fantasy VI

• The Uncharted series is the prime example for me, it's a flag bearer of mediocrity in the industry in my eyes.

GTA V, with this one I'll admit that the gameplay is fun, and the game overall is very well made, but the story and characters made me so mad, that I can't forgive that game.

Ni No Kuni, so hyped for this game, so disappointing, such lack of quality in so many aspects, I don't get how that game can be so highly regarded by so many.

• GTAV - I'm not a fan of the franchise as a whole, but V is the only one I've owned. I appreciate the detail of the world, but the controls, characters, writing, etc. really just weren't for me.
    Assassin's Creed - I'm probably in the minority, but the first game was my favorite and the only one I've completed (despite trying 2 an
    Halo - Again I really only enjoyed the first game
    Skyrim - I've come around on this one and I had fun playing through it recently, but I definitely don't think it deserves the hype and praise it got
    Pokemon - Just not for me :[

• @suplextrain said in Highly Regarded Games You Couldn't Get Into?:

I could go on for quite some time, but here's a few.

Minecraft The general idea is fine (after all I liked Dragon Quest Builders) but the execution is horrible in my eyes. The visuals are terrible, the music is bland, AI is non-existant, etc.
    Tales of series Bad story and characters. Combat does nothing for me, it's shallow and spammy.
    Fallout 1-2 I absolutely can't stand the combat and the game is so clunky. I prefer Fallout Tactics and Planescape: Torment.

Im same boat as Minecraft, dont mind the graphics, but the idea of it doesnt interest me

With Tales, they are hit or miss, if you've never tried Vesperia, its worth a shot, so much better than the rest

Funny you mention fallout, I had to go back to 2, but ended up loving it, set combat to highest speed...I realized while at the gym that I should have added Planescape to the list, horrible horrible combat, the magic system just sucks

@bard91

I feel the same about uncharted, couldnt finish U2. I did finish 3 and 1, and enjoyed them because of more Sulley, he wasnt around too much in U2. They are fine gameplay wise, but the stories are generic and Nathan is a bland and unrelateable protagonist.

• StarCraft and the Mother series.

• ...souls

(hides)

• @TokyoSlim

I'm the same way, I tried to play Dark Souls 1, but the lack of pause really turned me off, also a little too slow and clunky, I want to try Bloodborn because its more fast paced, but sadly there isn't a demo, so might wait until I find it really cheap

• @ACardAttack I liked the like 10 hours I put into Bloodborne. Got distracted and never went back, still have it though. I think the setting is just far more appealing to me. Also, yes, is faster paced.

• @TokyoSlim said in Highly Regarded Games You Couldn't Get Into?:

...souls

(hides)

Lol!

Witcher 3:
    to much boring filler in the game ruined a other wise amazing game. Didn't finish it.

Last Of Us:
    interesting story, everything else horrible. Cutscene, boring game play, cutscene, boring gameplay... repeat.

Overwatch:
    I like it, but I think it's way to overhyped. In my opinion I feel like the reason why it's so liked is because ppl keep feeding off of each others hype. Blizzard knows how to suck you in and play on ppl's addictive personalities. Don't see how ppl enjoy repetitious gameplay over and over for long periods of time.

Destiny:
    Same as above. But not as bad.

FF1 - FF6
    I missed out on playing these as a child. Tried to go back. Meh...

FFX
    This isn't Final fantasy! Where's my world map!? In all fairness I wouldn't mind actually trying to go back and play this with a different perspective. Not sure I will.

FFXV
    Ch. 6 and 26 hours in, it's okay. Fetch quest with bros simulator. It's relaxing to play. Not the game everyone is pretending to to be. That could change as I play more.

Dragon age inquisition
    To much filler. Horrible economy. Boring characters. Story was meh.

Darks souls 3!
    It's good, I'm just burnt out on this style of game.

Zelda:
    Just can't, don't know why. Hoping to change that.

MGS V:
    Don't even want to talk about. Worse MGS ever.

• @CGamor7 FF X is a final fantasy, just not one for you, which is fine. The series tends to be that way.

• @Brannox

What is final fantasy?

Yeah I know ppl see it as that. It was written with humour in mind, but without the context u wouldn't know that. At the time I looked at it as the farthest thing from final fantasy and that's why I wrote that. Would like to try it all these years later without holding a grudge against it for not being what I wanted it to be. But these days I question whether FF will be a series I like anymore. It changes with the times and that's fine, it's going to lose and gain ppl on the way. Final fantasy's defining era was VII - IX for me. I would like for them to take that concept and modernize it. I don't mean HD reworkings of the same outline. I guess we will see how they remake 7.

• @CGamor7 said in Highly Regarded Games You Couldn't Get Into?:

Overwatch:
    I like it, but I think it's way to overhyped. In my opinion I feel like the reason why it's so liked is because ppl keep feeding off of each others hype. Blizzard knows how to suck you in and play on ppl's addictive personalities. Don't see how ppl enjoy repetitious gameplay over and over for long periods of time.

Well at 150+ hours, I can tell you it's not just feeding off the hype. For me at least.
    I just really like the way it plays, and it's fun for me to pop into for a bit every night. Perfectly fine of course to not like it. I never play MP games either.
    Of course, yeah, the community probably does have a ton of people who like the game purely because of the characters and world then the game itself.

• @Inustar

Yeah I'm kind of over generalizing a bit. I might not have 150 hours but I have 40-50 im sure. I agree with you. Great game to jump in to here and there. I don't like that it got game of the year, and I speak more to the peoples obsession with it. I can't play it for more than a hour at a time.

• @CGamor7

Whole-heartedly agree.

And I think that was (potentially) one of the issues prior to XV's release: Everyone has their idea of what a true Final Fantasy game is and/or should be. Me? I see many Final Fantasies being completely different from each other.

I didn't like VI - yet it's many people's favorite. I love X and XII - many people hate them. VII is my favorite of all time and likewise, the remake is my most anticipated game.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is what make the series great is also, dependent upon anyone's view, is its detriment: They're all different and there is something for everyone.

• @Brannox said in Highly Regarded Games You Couldn't Get Into?:

@CGamor7 FF X is a final fantasy, just not one for you, which is fine. The series tends to be that way.

This is honestly where I stopped loving FF as a series. It removed the overworld, removed the controllable airship, removed classic stuff like moogles, the music got worse, made it more linear, etc. FF became more bland and more like every other JRPG.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.