Favorite game developer

• I'm horrible at keeping track of developers, but here's a few that come to mind..

CD Projekt Red
    Naughty Dog
    Does Nintendo count?
    Bethesda (love/hate relationship)
    From Software
    Valve
    Bioware

@Elyra said in Favorite game developer:

I hear a lot of good things about Naughty Dog and Atlus here, I guess I should try any of their games out then?

Yes! All of their games are great in my opinion.. plus Crash, Jak and Uncharted can all be purchased in collections now.

• @Tragosaurus said in Favorite game developer:

In regards to Naughty Dog, just know what you're getting yourself into. If you've heard some of the complaints about their games and that doesn't bother you then absolutely. I personally don't agree with the complaints but everyone has different tastes.
    With Atlus, I am right there with you. I have never played an Atlus game but will be picking up Persona 5 to see what all the hubbub is about.

What are some of the common complaints about Naughty Dog games? I know Ian is usually very hard on The Last of Us, but I can't remember him giving a reason.

• This post is deleted!

• @Elyra These are just two comments I found regarding Naughty Dog games in the Highly Regarded Games You Just Couldn't Get Into post.

"Uncharted 2: It was far more of a back-seat driver experience. The player is more of an afterthought than the focus. I'm not a fan of that type of experience."

"Last Of Us: interesting story, everything else horrible. Cutscene, boring game play, cutscene, boring gameplay... repeat."

I don't recall what Ian has said specifically about The Last of Us and the Uncharted series but I know I've heard people say stuff like its a playable movie that mechanically isn't great. I've heard people dislike the cover based shooting but that's just personal preference. This post may seem like its ragging on the games a lot but they are some of my personal favorites. The Last of Us is a game I will probably go back and replay religiously every couple years. I just want to make sure newcomers are aware of both sides before jumping into a game just because everyone likes it. I don't know what you like so you might fall into the category of not loving the gameplay and the story not being enough to get you through. Gotta keep expectations in check.

• @Tragosaurus

Thank you. I do think their games seem interesting, and I've heard really great things about The Last of Us, so why not give it a shot? I am definitely a person that can forgive clunky gameplay if I am invested enough in the story.

• Bioware.
    Even in their lowest with DA2, I love their games.

• @Elyra As far as Naughty Dog's game go, my complaints for the Uncharted series is that those games make use of extremely cheap tactics to make something interesting happen to engage the player into the game, and that they are all visual flare and no substance. I think that depending on what type of gamer you are and what you are looking for in a game you can completely look over that and enjoy the games, or if you are like me you'll have a very hard time ignoring the shortcomings of the games, and possibly not liking them.

As far as Atlus goes, their studios have made my two favorite games, those being Persona 3 and 4, and have also made a lot of really interesting JRPGs. If you have any interest in the genre and would like to test one of those my recommendation would be Persona 4 right now, or to wait for Persona 5.

• @Faaip said in Favorite game developer:

Yes! All of their games are great in my opinion.. plus Crash, Jak and Uncharted can all be purchased in collections now

Yes! I literally do love all of their games, at least the ones from Jak & Daxter and beyond. I didn't even know they had some others pre Jak.

• @Tragosaurus You didn't know that Crash was from ND? Well, I forgive you for loving them otherwise so much. :)

• i feel with naughty dog while there games are awesome their focus is story and their game play is only slightly above average. this is only the last 2 console generations mind you. i do however think insomniac is better at makeing fun games

• Valve
    Data East
    Treasure
    Squaresoft
    Love-de-Lic
    HAL
    Team ICO

All devs I like a lot. Tough to pick a favorite exactly, because I haven't played all of their games except for maybe Valve.

• @Sentinel-Beach Shit! Haha I meant before Crash. There were a few games on their wiki pre Crash that I never heard of before. I don't know why I wrote Jak.

• Atlus probably takes the cake for me. Revelations: Persona was the first RPG I ever played as a kid and I fell madly in love with its dark aesthetic. Then when I dove into the genre more heavily, I was confused with all these fantasy tropes running around. Squaresoft was also god-tier before merging with Enix, they've become hit or miss since.

Honorable mention is Supergiant Games. Again, aesthetic here makes it for me. I love both worlds that were created in Bastion and Transistor. Bastion had fun minute to minute gameplay but I still regard Transistor as practically flawless in execution/depth. That soundtrack too... woof, fantastic. I'm insanely excited for Pyre.

• Tough question because I have never thought too much into who is my favorite developer. I have favorite franchises but, like Mass Effect, but I was never excited for Dragon Age or Kotor, so I will be cheap and say Nintendo.

Hold a gun to my head and I would say Nintendo. Mario, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, and Zelda are all beloved gamed that I love! There is no other developer that, for me, can make me excited for their other games. I love Resident Evil but don't like Street Fighter and am meh about Mega Man. I love Mass Effect but DA doesn't interest me.

• old Square AKA: SquareSoft

• No longer extant: Bizarre Creations (Project Gotham Racing, Geometry Wars)

Still extant: Bethesda Game Studios (The Elder Scrolls, Fallout)

The former combined crazy good looks with crazy good gameplay. The latter is by far the most impressive developer for sheer scale. It's insane how they manage to create such huge worlds AND fill them with vast quantities of books, voiced dialogue, NPCs with unique schedules, AND fit it all together into a single seamless, compelling package.

• Valve

• Arc System Works - Their fighting games are definitely my favorite. Guilty Gear, Blazblue, Persona 4 Arena, Arcana Heart, Under Night, their Fist of The North Star game; all are solid. They even made a cool looking Contra-inspired game call Hard Corps Uprising.

• Lab Zero - I love Skullgirls and I love Lab Zero's art. I'm really looking forward to Indivisible.

• Dimps - They made my favorite Dragon Ball games( Budokai & Xenoverse ), so I'm glad they exist.

I don't actually have definitive favorites as no developer has made me 100% happy with their output. These are just some that I really like and appreciate. I also want to give shoutouts to: Atlus, Insomniac, Respawn, Japan Studio, Vanillaware, Media Molecule, Old Square, Old Capcom, and Old SNK.

• Banned

Treasure.
    Always Treasure.

Guardian Heroes (my favorite game of all time)
    Gunstar Heroes
    Bangai-O!
    Wario World
    Mischief Makers
    Ikaruga
    Sin & Punishment
    Radiant Silvergun
    Dynamite Headdy
    McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure

How are they not EVERYONE'S favourite dev?

• Because they don't do much these days, I don't care how awesome you used to be, if you suck now you can't be my favorite dev, else I would have listed Nintendo, Rare and Bioware etc.

• @Musou-Tensei I look at it the other way. Until a dev comes along that makes better games than the ones from back then from a developer, they will never top them and become my favorite developer.