What Are You Listening To?

• @Inustar Wait when did he finally do a playthrough!?

• @ThyBlight Youtube Video

There ya go. Posted to YT 6 days ago.

• Danke Danke Danke!!!

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYmvBLNhif4
    American Dream finishes with a track about James' relationship with Bowie, in the vein of "Someone Great." 10/10 closing song.

• The National's new album Sleep Well Beast is out today so I've started digging in. So far it's great, the music in it is absolutely on point. I'm sure I'll post further thoughts once I've listened to it fully and a few additional times. Very excited as I'm going to see them next week!

• One of my favorite Korean musicians is Primary. They're almost like the Gorillaz in that almost every song features another artist. Their most recent EP, POP, is really awesome. These are my favorite songs.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• I find myself coming back to the Magnolia songs composed for Fallout 4 (sung by Lynda Carter IRL.) They're really jazzy lounge tunes like Odyssey's theme song before Odyssey, and they have some fun in-universe nods in much the same way.

I've also been listening to the fourth palace theme from Persona 5, because it's composed in such a way as to never really grate. Fair warning though, the true title of the song is a spoiler (not in the video title, but comments and suggested videos can be perilous).

• Sonic Mania Soundtrack! So catchy!

• Youtube Video

After a really long and weird day, I'm thankful Ace Waters released this cover today. I just sat back, closed my eyes, and let the ambient waves wash over me.

• The full version of 99 by Mob Choir is amazing. I really like the lyrics.
    Youtube Video

The ED from Mob Psycho 100 (All Off) is great too. I especially like the remix from episode 12.
    Youtube Video

• So I'm already getting in the October/Halloween vibes by slowly immersing myself in more creepy material and my friend turned me on to this podcast.

Youtube Video

Each episode is fairly short (about 20 minutes) and just plays out like a news radio program. It just happens to be news for a town that doesn't exist and happens to experience a lot of supernatural events. There's a real dark sense of humor underlining the whole work and it's actually pretty damn brilliant. Worth a listen if you wanna get into the right spirit for this next month!

• @SabotageTheTruth Oh my god! That totally takes me back! I haven't listened to Night Vale since I was in high school! I loved it so much back then, I should definitely start listening again.

As for what I've been listening to, it's a little hard to describe. I've heard some people describe it as "City Pop", I don't really know what the genre is. It's funky, it's chill, the vocals are awesome, I just love it. I've been discovering these songs by youtube recommending them to me, so for once the site has truly done me a great service.

Takeuchi Mariya - Plastic Love (Night Tempo 100% Pure Remastered)
    TANUKI - BABYBABYの夢
    ナニダトnanidato - Disco Lady 『ディスコレディ』

If any of you guys know what genre these songs belong to, please let me know! I'd love to explore some more.

• Totally forgot to come back on The National's latest album Sleep Well Beast.

I adore this album. For me it's their best overall album since Boxer. I mentioned that I loved the music on it. The instruments and subtle use of electronics add a lot to the songs.

Right now, I love Born to Beg, Walk it Back, Guilty Party & Dark Side of the Gym but honestly, I'm into all the songs. The end to Born to Beg just gets me everytime, just love the guitar in it. If you do end up listening to it, don't go near some of the youtube versions of the songs, they're nothing like the album unless they were posted by The National's account.

Just to add to this also, I saw them live last week at the Cork Opera House (You can watch the full performance here) where they played the vast majority of the album to a pretty intimate environment and it was a fantastic gig. It was kind of a collaboration festival so a lot of other artists joined in, like Justin Vernon (Bon Iver), Lisa Hannagin etc... If you're a fan, definitely check it out.

• It's not been the easiest past couple of weeks, so that's usually when I start digging back into old favorites for comfort.

Youtube Video

One of the reasons I proudly tout Radiohead as my favorite band happens to be their lyrics. It's never anything insanely complicated, but just something that is so easy to relate to. Just the lines, "For a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself," are so simple but impactful.

• I've recently gotten in to T-Ara and I really wish I had gotten in to them before they disbanded, their music is just incredible.

These are some of my favorites.

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Youtube Video

I think most of the tracks in Kingsway are great, but this one has such a hold on me for being dark and foreboding. Perfect music for clearing a dungeon of skeletons and cultists... or figuring out some stuff in your life.

• I've been trying to learn some dances for fun and to get some exercise. I picked the dances I'm learning now because they're pretty simple, so that I'm actually able to do them. A few I'm doing just because I really like the dance even though they're harder. As a result I've been listening to the songs that go with each dance a lot. Wish me luck in this endeavor. In any case, here are some to the songs I've been dancing to.

(Pretty Easy to do. Not a whole lot of movement, but hard to make look right.)
    Youtube Video

(The second hardest dance I'm working on now, but I've got the chorus down pretty well.)
    Youtube Video

(Simple but very high energy so it's rather tiring. There was a time when I knew this dance by heart but that was a long time ago.)
    Youtube Video

(The actual hardest dance I'm trying to learn. The hand/arm movements are super fast and hard to follow. The lower half of my body does just fine.)
    Youtube Video

• This may be one of the best covers I've ever heard. Dude has some serious talent.

Youtube Video

• @SabotageTheTruth Oh my gosh, that cover is rad as hell!

As for me I've had a bit of a dilemma recently. I'm not sure if I'm actually in to Hip Hop or not. I like rap a lot, and I listen to a lot of songs that have rap in them but I'm not sure if all of them are actually Hip Hop. I mean, what constitutes hip hop? How do I know that I'm listening to it? In any case, here are some songs that I love and am unsure if they are truly Hip Hop.

(I think it's Hip Hop but the vocal sections make me question it.)
    Youtube Video

(Feels like it's probably Hip Hop but like chill Hip Hop.)
    Youtube Video

(Again feels like it could be Hip Hop but maybe it's just EDM.)
    Youtube Video

Can anyone tell me if these songs are Hip Hop?